Scariest Movie Monster Moments

Guttersnipe

mortal ally
What monster (literally or figuratively) scenes scare you the most in movies?

Mine:

-The dead psychic's face in Black Sabbath (1963)
-André's small fly form saying, "Help meee" in The Fly (1958): I might get made fun of this; I get cold each time I see it
-Angela's/Peter's final face in Sleepaway Camp (1983)
-Cleopatra's half-duck form in Freaks (1932)
-Pazuzu's face (very brief) in The Exorcist (1973): Interestingly enough, the rest didn't really scare me
-Jason emerging from the lake in a nightmare in Friday the 13th (1980)
-The "snake-man" at the circus in Sssssss (Ssssnake in the UK) (1973)
-Not a horror film, but the dead baby crawling on the ceiling in Trainspotters (1996)
-The monster behind the restaurant and the crazed elderly couple in the mystery film Mulholland Drive (2001)
-Everything in Eraserhead (1977): I can't watch this in full

Hope everybody had a good Halloween.

Last edited:
The whole of that film gives me the chills!
I'd go for:
Dallas meeting the xenomorph in the Air duct in Alien [I know it is coming and it still gets my heart pumping] and
Michael Myers looming out of the dark door frame in Halloween [add in Carpenters score and I'm on the edge of my seat]

Hellraiser - First moment we see the Cenobites
Alien - The first Facehugger, The dinner scene, Dallas death in the vents
Decent - When the two girls are hiding in the wall as the creature feeds right next to them
The Thing - The Autopsy scene with the hands through the chest
Conjuring - Nun Painting comes to life
Jaws - The face at the Port hole

X The Unknown X melting The X Ray Technician
Tales of Terror : The Case of M Valdemar Mr Valdemar ring up offf the bead to take revenge and decaying to putrid mass
The Color of Space The Lamas in the barn fused into a ghastly multithread monster by alien energy blast and Mother and son fused in one creature by the same alien energy.
Invasion of the Body Snatcher 1978 The Dog with the mans head
The Grudge Lost of thing to chose from there,

I saw Sssssss, a minor cult classic, when it was originally released in 1973. I remember my little brother calling the movie theatre just to make the girl working in the box office say the title (the ad line was: “Don’t say it…hiss it!”). He thought that was so funny. It was the first time I saw Dirk Benedict and I became an instant fan.

The film begins with some creepy “thing” making odd sounds in a wooden box. Dr. Stoner, an ophiologist, is selling the noisy contents in the box to another man. Stoner owns a snake farm where he extracts venom from a variety of poisonous snakes. He even “wrangles” with his King Cobra in front of an audience for money. The doc recruits a young man named David Blake (Benedict) to be his new assistant at the farm. It seems that Dr. Stoner’s former lab assistant just packed up and left him. David is instantly attracted to the doctor’s daughter, Kristina (Heather Menzes). Why David thinks that Kristina is cute is beyond me. She wears large round glasses and has a bad multi-layered hair style!! Considering she posed in Playboymagazine, one would think that she would look better. However, Dirk is really cute!

The Alien in Alien, especially when pulling people into ducts (it's not so much scary as disgusting when grunting down the intercom, but that's pretty horrible too).
The facehugger in Alien and Aliens (that running across the floor effect is terrific).
Grady from The Shining (he's technically a ghost, I suppose, and so a monster).
The make-up robots from Mirrormask, which are deeply creepy, especially for a children's film.
Pinhead from Hellraiser, before he became just another slasher villain.
The dummy from Dead of Night, if he counts.
Ash from Alien.
The dog with the man's head from Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a real shock. Good call @BAYLOR.

I find the Thing, the Predator and the (first) Terminator really impressive, but not really frightening as such.

The Alien in Alien, especially when pulling people into ducts (it's not so much scary as disgusting when grunting down the intercom, but that's pretty horrible too).
The facehugger in Alien and Aliens (that running across the floor effect is terrific).
Grady from The Shining (he's technically a ghost, I suppose, and so a monster).
The make-up robots from Mirrormask, which are deeply creepy, especially for a children's film.
Pinhead from Hellraiser, before he became just another slasher villain.
The dummy from Dead of Night, if he counts.
Ash from Alien.
The dog with the man's head from Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a real shock. Good call @BAYLOR.

I find the Thing, the Predator and the (first) Terminator really impressive, but not really frightening as such.
Haha, do you remember that scene in “invasion of the Bodysnatchers?” When he turns toward the lady, und goes, aaaagggghhhhh… like, it’s so freaky, he’s the only one alive.

Haha, do you remember that scene in “invasion of the Bodysnatchers?” When he turns toward the lady, und goes, aaaagggghhhhh… like, it’s so freaky, he’s the only one alive.

Up until that point, I thought there was a chance that maybe , just maybe he was still human and just pretending so he could blend in and survive.:)

I saw Sssssss, a minor cult classic, when it was originally released in 1973. I remember my little brother calling the movie theatre just to make the girl working in the box office say the title (the ad line was: “Don’t say it…hiss it!”). He thought that was so funny. It was the first time I saw Dirk Benedict and I became an instant fan.

The film begins with some creepy “thing” making odd sounds in a wooden box. Dr. Stoner, an ophiologist, is selling the noisy contents in the box to another man. Stoner owns a snake farm where he extracts venom from a variety of poisonous snakes. He even “wrangles” with his King Cobra in front of an audience for money. The doc recruits a young man named David Blake (Benedict) to be his new assistant at the farm. It seems that Dr. Stoner’s former lab assistant just packed up and left him. David is instantly attracted to the doctor’s daughter, Kristina (Heather Menzes). Why David thinks that Kristina is cute is beyond me. She wears large round glasses and has a bad multi-layered hair style!! Considering she posed in Playboymagazine, one would think that she would look better. However, Dirk is really cute!

It's pretty good horror film .:cool: John Chambers who, did both make up work on the Outer Limits and the Planet Of Apes films did the snake make up and prosthetics in this film.:)

Last edited:
There is a scene in the 1977 BBC production Count Dracula where Dracula's turned lady vampires are presented with a carpet bag. They open the bag and withdraw a baby. They then proceed to devour the baby in some way. Or so it implies. Scared me silly and I ran from the room. I've never watched it again nor have I seen the end.

-André's small fly form saying, "Help meee" in The Fly (1958): I might get made fun of this; I get cold each time I see it
Those are still powerful, as is the image of Michael Myers fading in behind Lori Strode after she's discovered her friends are dead. And like CupofJoe, Carpenter's music still has an effect on me, more so than The Exorcist score or other horror movie music.

Alien - the first headhugger scenes
The Haunting - Eleanor and Theodora holding hands, and toward the end when we're privy to Eleanor's thoughts as she's leaving Hill House
Psycho - when Norman is jailed and looks up to the camera with a smile as we hear his thoughts, "Why, I wouldn't hurt a fly," and there's the quick superimposition of a skull over his face; gets me more every time than the shower scene
The Shining - Jack in the bar; Jack checking the room with woman bathing; the twins (so little shown, so much implied)

Ah yes, the woman who turns out to be a walking corpse in The Shining. Forgot about that one.

The red eyes at the window in Amityville Horror scared me quite much back in the day.

There's something... unsettling.... about the bedsheet in the Michael Hordern version of 'Oh Whistle'.
Same here on both. Not just the red eyes but the pig, too. It gets lots of flak for being goofy but as a kid I was terrified of it.

And the Omnibus oh whistle is supremely chilling. Love the way Hordern changed Parkins to a stuffy old man.

I like The Wolfman (the 2010 remake). All the scenes with the werewolf are great and scary in this one, but beware that you must watch the unrated version. I wish I'd seen that in the theather, at midnight.

Last edited:
Ok so I am surprised that no one, including me, has not mentioned Ralphie Glick the Vampire in Salem's lot .."scratch scratch let me in"

Terrifying in the moment.

Ok so I am surprised that no one, including me, has not mentioned Ralphie Glick the Vampire in Salem's lot .."scratch scratch let me in"

Terrifying in the moment.

Even today, That scene is still pretty damned scary .

So is Vampire Kurt Barlows first appearance in the jail cell.