BBC getting Disney Money from Dr Who Disney+ deal, a thought

DAgent

So, Disney Money is going into Ncutis series of Dr Who, as Disney + will show the new series internationally while the Beeb still shows it on UK TV. As far as I'm aware, Disney+ won't be showing the original or 2005 reboot shows, but I'm wondering what else could be done to improve those. Whether with the help of Disney's money or not.

And by that I mean leave things like the special effects and music and so alone, as I'm not a fan of "remastering" in that regard. But upscale to 4K would be nice. But I'm also thinking would giving the old classics a Filmic look work?

Back in the 90's there was a method of setting up video cameras and lighting rigs to allow a post conversion to give the recordings a film like quality. Red Dwarf did this with series 7 and it did look quite good. I do know that some shows were set up to record like this, but didn't get the conversion process and the result looked odd. NeverWhere was one example. But would this conversion process, or the modern version of it work and make the old footage look more like a movie? It would be interesting to see.

Perhaps co production possibilities for Disney with the BBC?

From what I've read it is a distribution deal, not a co-production deal.
So the Beeb gets some money and Disney gets some content.
If this is the start of things, it might be the end of any pay services the BBC has going in North America.

In the name of Gallifrey please no. I don't want to see a Jedi companion. Or worse, an Ewok. *shudder*

Disney couldn't do that . The BBC owns the right If they wanted do series set in the Dr Who Universe , they'd have to ask permission from the BBC Or coproduction deal with the VBBC having creative control.

Maybe more US actors guest star on the Dr Who ? That I'd love to see. :)

Last edited:
Sadly, neither Disney nor anyone else can retrofit good scripts....

Perhaps Russell Davies and his team bring aboard a writer or two from Disney to help come with stories for the series?

They went espied with those three Dr Who Specials. :cool: