What is Your Favorite Alien Species and Why (From Any Medium)?

Guttersnipe

mortal ally
I've personally always admired Vulcans for their philosophy about logic. Also, they tend to keep their cool, even though on the inside, they're extremely emotional. I like Daleks because of their casings and voices. I like the Watchers from Marvel Comics due to their philosophy of non-interference.

Daleks - The design the voice so different to anything I had seen before

Old Who Cybermen - Silent, relentless and a great design nothing like the New STOMP STOMP STOMP UPGRADE versions

Predator - The design the weight of it the philosophy of the noble hunter ..."I see your bone knife now eat PLASMA CASTER"

The Facehugger from Alien - As much as I love the fully grown version the facehugger is a bundle of nightmares of rape, subjugation and suffocation all in one, just terrifying

Attack the Block - Those Black on Black cant quite see what I am seeing were great

The Mutant from This Island Earth - First monster to ever give me nightmares

The Thing - An alien that imitates other living things after absorbtion is a truly terrifying prospect. There was an intelligence to it that wasn't really explored, which i thought was a bit of a lost opportunity. It would appear that it also absorbs memories and knowledge as well as the flesh.

The Xenomorph from Alien. Need i say more?

Star Trek: TNG's Borg. Would they count? (Although they did loose their threat somewhat in Voyager.)

The Weeping Angels from Doctor Who are a fabulous creation.

A favourite if mine is the Shadows from Babylon 5. I adored their look and there's something very atavistic about their design. I also love the shifting nature of thier skin patterns. Beautifully done and the technique still holds up now.

There was an aggregate intelligence in Greg Bear's Anvil of Stars that were pretty unique when i first read the book. (The aggregates were "Braids" and the singles were "Cords". I can't remember what the species was called, but they had a lot of character.)

The Thing - An alien that imitates other living things after absorbtion is a truly terrifying prospect. There was an intelligence to it that wasn't really explored, which i thought was a bit of a lost opportunity. It would appear that it also absorbs memories and knowledge as well as the flesh.
I can't believe, given the time of year, that I forgot The Thing alien. I think that alien is far more scary than the Xenomorph.

Ken MacLeod describes aliens that have limbs and nervous systems that keep branching and getting smaller until the the tips of the "fingers" are subcellular in Engine City.

The unconscious tube aliens in Peter Watts' Blindsight.

The 'aliens' of Jeff Noon's Annilation.

At least iits an attempt to protray something actually alien and not have a rubber masked human.

The Ruum from the story of the same name by Arthur Porges. It's implacability scared the crap out of me as a child.

Last edited:
Predictably, I like Star Trek Betazoids. Always identified with Ms Troi, same line of work too.

I also like any blue aliens. Remember the blue aliens in Farscape? I would love to be blue!

Well, another one for Tribbles here - overwhelmed by cute is funny.
Great fondness for what B5 comes up with - and how they handle alien interactions. Possibly my favourite of that is the Brakiri and the Day of the Dead when they purchase part of the station for the night. Spoiler to say what happens next but it is good.

It's probably bad form to nominate your own creations but what the heck. I'm going for Suruk the Slayer from Space Captain Smith. He was a huge amount of fun to write.