Judge Dredd books/novels

Mr Cairo

NOAH was a conspiracy nut ... then it rained
If your starting with novels and dont mind a little bit of Ebay searching I would really suggest the Judge Dredd rebellion novels

in order

Judge Dredd - Deathmasques
Judge Dredd - Savage Amusement
Judge Dredd - Dreddlocked (My personal fav as it introduces Mr Cairo)
Judge Dredd - Cursed Earth Asylum
Judge Dredd - Dread Dominion
Judge Dredd -Silencer

There are others but as a real real Dredd fan I would suggest you give them a miss until you have read these

Also just for fun add in Dredd V Death.

Thanks Mr. Cairo.

I'll be sure to check them out. I'm pleased to see there are quite a few novels. Out of curiosity, are these based on actual Dredd strips, or are they original stories?

Thanks Mr. Cairo.

I'll be sure to check them out. I'm pleased to see there are quite a few novels. Out of curiosity, are these based on actual Dredd strips, or are they original stories?

Basically all original stories that happen with Dredd and many characters from the Mag with lots of crossover but all keeping with the continuity the mag has in place.

Can i ask the forum moderators to change the thread to Judge Dredd Books?

I would also suggest you read the RICO novel set on the Titan Penal colony , its 3 separate stories over the 20 years but they do fill in a lot.

If your starting with novels and dont mind a little bit of Ebay searching I would really suggest the Judge Dredd rebellion novels

in order

Judge Dredd - Deathmasques
Judge Dredd - Savage Amusement
Judge Dredd - Dreddlocked (My personal fav as it introduces Mr Cairo)
Judge Dredd - Cursed Earth Asylum
Judge Dredd - Dread Dominion
Judge Dredd -Silencer

There are others but as a real real Dredd fan I would suggest you give them a miss until you have read these

Also just for fun add in Dredd V Death.

There are several Judge Dredd/ Batman Graphic novels one of which Is Die laughing which involves Judge Dredd , Batman , The Joker and Judge Death.

I'm getting back into the 2000AD thing starting with the novels. I've only read two, but I've enjoyed being back in a world i adored in my youth. The nostalgia has been very enjoyable and i'll stick with them until i get series fatigue, i think. :) Kind of goes hand in hand with my guilty pleasure of licenced tie in books.

I will go back to the comic stories at some stage.

There are several Judge Dredd/ Batman Graphic novels one of which Is Die laughing which involves Judge Dredd , Batman , The Joker and Judge Death.

Yeah I have read all those as well and they are all very good but Rodders was specifically after novels as opposed to Graphic Novels and I just recommended the ones that I have gone back to time and again ... I mean my copies are pretty well read :)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
Judge Dredd: Year Two continues on the same manner of year one with three stories of Dredd’s early years on the speedway.

DBDB2419-78CB-402E-828C-69D483243E80.jpeg

A better cover thank Year One, i thought.

Righteous Man by Michael Carroll finds Dredd under the scrutiny of the SJS after Rico’s arrest and trial.
Down and Out by Matt Smith is similar to Karl Urban’s movie in that Dredd must escape a gang out to get him as he tries to leave the block located in a less salubrious part of Mega City 1.
Alternative Facts by Cavan Scott. Politics and crime mix in this story.

I’m finding the short story format to be very good and quite clever as it does almost have that comic strip style. Each of the stories were fun and I think I’d be hard pressed to pick a favourite. Perhaps Righteous Man, but Alternative Facts had a very satisfying ending.

While not actually funny, there are little quips that’ll bring a wry smile you your face.

I’m loving my return to a childhood hero.

I noticed the similarity with Down and Out as well but liked Alterative Facts the most it was interesting to see Dredd interact with others and see a little more of the judicial and investigative process at work.

Judge Dredd: Year Three. Another three short stories:

51Ib3W-MWPL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fallen Angel by Michael Carroll - A conspiracy involving the SJS
The Machineries of Hate by Matt Smith - A mass shooting at a party is blamed on rogue machines
Bitter Earth by Laurel Sills - Dredd and two other judges head to the cursed earth to a research facility.

As with the other two, these were all very enjoyable stories that do the comic strip proud. Fallen Angel and The Machineries of Hate were both strong stories. Bitter Earth was still great fun, but i felt a little let down by it by the revelation of the bad guy.

Got to say that i'm having a blast reading these. I want to read the Judge Death books, but i see there is a "Fall of Deathworld" trilogy and i want to read them consecutively. I'll download them next pay day.

Last edited:
I remember reading one many years ago and it said he deliberately wears boots one size too small so he feels grim all the time.
Is this canon or just something the writer threw into his story?

(I think it's probably the only one I ever read)

I think that was mentioned in Judge Dredd: Year Two. It was a trick Chief Justice Goodman passed on to keep himself sharp and mean all the time.

Last edited:
OIP.OrEW5m6ADVBDjmCMagS94AHaKK

America - after years of being out of print is now back in print. One of the best dredd stories with a heaping dose of satire.