Stranger Things - Season 4 part II (episodes 8-9) [SPOILERS for 1-7]

I don't want to get into a debate about the popularity of Netflix here, but Stranger Things is one of the shows that made it grow so big, and it is easy to see why they like it so much.
It's not big, it's HUGE. I went this morning to get milk and rolling papers, and there was a fat geezer sitting in the bench, watching Stranger Things on full blast on his mobile phone. The series is loved by many and to be honest, it is different. More importantly, it's portrayed from little people perspective, and they are not rolling in money or fame, instead they do what needs to be done despite it hurting in the process. In a way, they are folk heroes. Who wouldn't want to watch that sort of series?

Season 4 is approaching the Squid Game numbers as the most watched thing in the Netflix. People have already watched over a billion hours of it (1.15), while the same number over 28 days for the Squid Game is 1.6.

(I know it's a Finnish source, but at least it's a trustful.)

It's not as big as Game of Thrones but that had a book series with existing following. Then became a phenomen. Still huge though, as CTG rightfully says.

The Stranger Things creators recently mentioned that they are not Game of Thrones. In that it isn't a show where main characters get culled.

Seen the final part and Number One is still around so Season 5 is alive. I agree that it was way too long and that most of that was going over old ground again, with hugs and joyous reunions.

I hadn't realised that Netflix had so many viewers in the UK. I just checked and as many people have subscriptions as watch Channel 4. Sky and Virgin Media subscriptions are nowhere near. Game of Thrones must have been quite a catch for Sky to get.

Reactions: ctg
The reference to GoT is notable because the Post said the same thing:

The season has taken the same “bigger is better” approach as did “Game of Thrones” in its swan song … and we all know how it worked out for that show.

“Stranger Things” became a hit from its start not only because it pays homage to everyone’s pop culture favorites from the ’80s, but also because it underpinned its zany adventures and action-horror genre thrills with lovable characters and relationships that were worth caring about.

If that review is fairly accurate, then I think the reason why the user ratings were slowly going down is because both that homage and character development weakened as the show started moving in different directions.

The problem is that the main storyline was already pretty thin in terms of content such that it would have been good enough for at most two seasons, which is why the writers and producers had no choice but to make it bigger, in order to stretch it across more.

the writers and producers had no choice but to make it bigger
One reason is that (much like GRR Martin) they kept introducing new side-characters in previous seasons and then decided to give each of them almost as big a role as the main characters. I can see why they didn't want to kill anyone off, but some of them could easily have been let go.

The Duffer Brothers may be the master storytellers behind the fictional tale of Stranger Things, but they also admit to taking inspiration from real life conspiracies and true crime stories. While longtime fans of the show may already know about the Montauk Project origins of the Hawkins Lab, some may not be aware that the tragically misplaced suspicion that Eddie Munson was under is also based on actual events in West Memphis, Arkansas in 1993.

The West Memphis Three were three teenagers who were accused of murdering three eight-year-old boys in what was presented to the press as a Satanic sacrifice. Heavy metal music of the type Eddie Munson would have undoubtedly enjoyed was mistaken for “the devil’s music” by police investigators at the time. Despite a lack of evidence, West Memphis residents and the authorities were quick to accuse the metal-loving, long-haired teenagers who were viewed as outcasts by the rest of the Satanic panic-stricken community.

In March 1994, Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr., and Jason Baldwin were found guilty of three counts of murder, although the police investigation and trials were widely criticized in the years following the decision. The case was the subject of the 1996 HBO documentary Paradise Lost as well as 2012’s West of Memphis, which was written and directed by Amy Berg and produced by Peter Jackson with Echols.

Stranger Things came back from a pandemic-driven three-year hiatus stronger than ever with an ambitious supersized fourth season—so much so that Netflix released it in two parts. Part 1 had a few minor flaws, particular in the earlier episodes, but quickly gained dramatic momentum. The cliffhanger ending deftly set the stage for the epic final two episodes, which featured a visually stunning, nail-biting battle against the denizens of the Upside Down—and some of the most emotionally resonant moments in the series to date. It's been two weeks since Part 2 dropped—the perfect time to talk about the many highs and occasional lows of this latest season.

Very long analysis

I thoroughly enjoyed Season 4.

I don't watch much television, watch some box sets and the odd series. Stranger Things frequently goes in a funny direction and keeps things interesting.

I know everyone loves "Running p that Hill" but for me this track is awesome:

Seems it is out of favour this year. Has wins but rather than acting or drama it is for sound/music, stunt coordination and prosthetics. Which makes sense.

Reactions: ctg
As an aside, The Duffer Brothers have a course on MasterClass that is quite good, too. Even though the title is, "Developing an Original TV Series" their writing style is general enough that it could be applied to any type of writing.

My favorite lessons are the ones where they demonstrate their blue-skying and outlining techniques in real time. It's positively mind boggling how the two of them edit the same document simultaneously, bouncing ideas off of one another and converging on a single story arc. Made me realize how much I've been missing out by not having the foresight of being born a twin. ;)

Well, I've just finished Season 4 and thought it disappointing. Of course I will be watching Season 5 eventually, but I'm very glad to be having a break.

I've skimmed through previous posts and may be repeating to some extent....

I thought Season 3 was weaker than 1 and 2, and 4 was weaker than 3.

Some reflections on this....

The reveal of Vecna as 001 and as the motivating force for the Upside Down interest in Our-Right-Side-Up was interesting, but, for me it just reduced everything to Vecna, Supervillain and that becomes just another supervillain story, whereas the Mind-Flayer felt much more powerful and unsettling.

I preferred Hopper as small-town sheriff rather than this present-day Marvel superhero incarnation capable of doing just about anything.

In general I'm unhappy with the widening of the plot to give it an international and national dimension rather than the small town feel of the first two series.

I hate writers setting up cliffhangers.

And I've just finished watching Season 1 again - thought it so much better than Season 4

I wrote earlier:
The reveal of Vecna as 001 and as the motivating force for the Upside Down interest in Our-Right-Side-Up was interesting, but, for me it just reduced everything to Vecna, Supervillain and that becomes just another supervillain story, whereas the Mind-Flayer felt much more powerful and unsettling.
I preferred Hopper as small-town sheriff rather than this present-day Marvel superhero incarnation capable of doing just about anything.
In general I'm unhappy with the widening of the plot to give it an international and national dimension rather than the small town feel of the first two series.
I hate writers setting up cliffhangers.

Watching Season 1 again, just reinforced all that for me:
The writing's really tight with lots of quick switches between the different groups, rather than extended lengthy sequences where the focus stays on one group. In the later seasons there are periods of extended action followed by periods of casual/intimate chat between characters in breaks in the action that just do not ring true.
Joyce and Hopper are believable in Season 1, but have morphed into action heroes by Season 4.
The Upside Down is mysterious and threatening in Season 1 but its mystery has dissipated by Season 4.

Just my opinion. I've met others who think Season 4 is the best.

The Upside Down is mysterious and threatening in Season 1 but its mystery has dissipated by Season 4.
How did about knowing all that has happened with Number 1 and the creation of the Upside Down affected that mystery?