1.04: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Memento Mori

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
While on a routine supply mission to a colony planet, the U.S.S. Enterprise comes under attack from an unknown malevolent force; Pike learns that the enemy cannot be dealt with by conventional Starfleet means.

As anyone reading my posts would be aware, I wasn't keen on the idea of this series. I didn't think much of the scenes in Discovery that lead to it, and I seemed to be in the minority about that. However, after the last episode and this episode, I think it has found its feet. There is clearly much more to explore with these characters, even though some seem very familiar to us. After this episode I want more.

It was a good idea to introduce the Gorn as a villain here at this point. It was even better not to show them, and to therefore have to retcon them so that they didn't look like a man in a plastic lizard suit any longer. No polystyrene rocks were harmed in the making of this episode! Instead we saw their never before seen ships, their method of communication using light signalling, and we contemplated how different they were from Federation species; unrelenting and un-negotiating predators. Instead, an actual meeting with the Gorn in person, is something held out for the future.

Not as good as TOS but heading in the right direction. Yes, after the train wreck of Discovery I was wary of this latest incarnation but I have a little hope after these first four episodes. Time will tell.

They can save that music for when they actually meet one in person :giggle:

Incidentally, they have re-used music from almost every series and films do far.

I'd really like them to do for the Gorn, what TNG did for the Klingons - giving them a whole alien culture and philosophy. They've begun the work here, but there is a long way to go.

Watching this on YouTube.
The Federation seems to know more of the Gorn at this time than they did in Arena. Clumsily retconned imvho.

Back