Which books to keep?

Moonbat

Chuckle Churner
Before any of you say 'all of them' let me explain.

We have a lots of books, at least 7 book cases worth, and that is the issue, we need to recover some of that bookcase space for other things. So how do we decide which books to keep and which to give away or store?

I think maybe reference books, non fiction might be ok to go as all that info is available online.
Some of the books are ones we have inherited from my in-laws and though they are classics I doubt either of us will read them
I also have quite a few graphic novels, I'm not as into them as I once was so not really reading them now.

So what's the advice of all you crazy book folk?

I have difficult time getting rid of books myself. As to reading the Classics, there was a time , early on my reading history in which I would never by choice , read a classic . But over time, that changed and I stand to read a few of them. They are definitely worth reading so, my advice is keep a few of what you might deem the essential classic. As to the reference books non fiction keep, a few of those as well . A modest library pf books is not a bad thing at all.:)

The local public library has an annual book sale, of donated castoffs: all you can cram into a grocery bag for fifty cents. This year they were begging folks to not dump any more refuse into the after-hours book return.

The local used book stores have a treacherous caveat: "Give us five and you have to take three in return."

For gawds sake, I'm just trying to dump some unwanted titles.

On a sadder note, I had an auxiliary library in the dank loft of the barn. I had some treasured books that turned to unreadable mildew.

It was a sad day when they got the "Hansel and Gretel Treatment:" Abandoned in the forest. Left to compost in the redwood duff.

I'm sure you can find some space. For example, you probably have a refrigerator in your home somewhere? Is it really necessary? More important than books? I didn't think so. Ditch it and presto, you've got space for more books.
Same goes for any washing machines, ovens, water heaters, and tables. All unnecessary and frankly gratuitous luxuries. They just eat up money you can spend on buying books.
Indoor toilets? Human beings survived for centuries without those. Have them taken out and BAM more book storage space. You definitely don't need more than one sink in your house (and probably not even that) so remove those too.
Still not enough room?
You've got empty floor space, right? You can stack books there.
Are you currently housing any minor children in your home? Perhaps you can leave them with a trustworthy relative and use their rooms for book storage.
If all the above techniques prove insufficient, consider buying or renting a second home to store your books. It doesn't have to be a particularly large residence. A modest condominium should be enough for most collections.

My 2 cents worth: this is all from my personal experience of having too many books and no space and still buying more books, so needing more space.

Permanently get rid of the books you know you are never going to read (again). Let someone else who might appreciate them more, read them. If you are really not sure, store them and if you haven't looked at the books in there or even thought of them in about 3-5 years or so - get rid of them.

The reference and non-fiction - depends what it is. If it's outdated, get rid of it. If it's on a subject you no longer have an interest in - get rid of it. If it's a cook book you only use one recipe out of, photocopy the recipe and get rid of the book. If it's on a subject that will help you survive, food preparation/preservation from scratch, or fix thing when the society goes to hell and you no longer have reliable electricity and water etc then definitely keep that on premises (either on the shelf or in a box in the garage or some such). You can't look up stuff on the internet if the internet is gone or not available. Personally, I tend to keep the nonfiction (science & history) books and get rid of the fiction (unless the story is really good and I intend to re-read it at some stage).

There is also the option of storing books in double layers on the bookshelf (if your shelves are deep enough for this). For example, I would put David Eddings' Belgariad series at the back and his Elenium series in front of it. That way I know David Eddings books are in that particular spot on the shelf, even if I can't see all of them. I tend to shelve my books roughly by genre; so 1.5 cabinets fro history; 1.5 cabinets for science; 3/4 cabinets for the odd-ball/alternative knowledge type books; 1 cabinet and small book case for fiction, 1 cabinet for classics (which are a mix of fiction and non-fiction, like Caesar's commentaries, Herodotus' histories etc) - that way if I'm looking for a particular subject/genre I don't have to go through all 2000 books, just the relevant sections of shelving - this is especially useful if the books are double and triple packed. The fiction and odd-ball shelves are the only ones double packed these days - I got rid of approximately 70% of my fiction a few years ago (the boxes had been sitting in my parents garage, untouched, for about 10+ years, so time to get rid of them).

NB: If you are going to store books in boxes, number each box, make a list of the books that are in each box, and put a physical copy of that list in the box with the books, and also keep the other list more readily available, like on the computer or in a file. That way you don't have to go though half a dozen boxes of books just to find one book. You can just look at the list, and then haul out that particular box. UPDATE the lists if you add/remove things from the box!
I also recommend plastic as opposed to cardboard boxes for long term storage because they don't disintegrate or get the contents soggy when they get wet (invariably something leaks) or get eaten by creepy crawlies. I also recommend transparent plastic boxes as opposed to opaque plastic boxes so you can see at a glance that a particular box has books as opposed to fluffy toys, or craft project or tools or whatever - but this depends on how much "stuff" you have stored.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but you did ask.

The problem with having too many books (same as too many of most things), you will never get round to reading the really good stuff, because you'll have forgotten it's there. If you have less, you are more likely to read them.

Firstly check through them and any with signs of mildew damage etc, get rid.

If you can read a book in a few days, do so and then donate/pass it on.

Personally I would try to get to a stage where you never have more than 100. This way you can keep your favourites and ones that you are looking forward to reading, and you will never be without a good book. You can also keep them neatly arranged in 1 or 2 book cases and have easy access to viewing and reading them. Once you have read a book and if you don't enjoy it, then swap it for another, but never go above your limit of 100.

Start your keep pile with books you are likely to want to read again. If that's still too many, figure out which ones have e-editions or are otherwise not a problem to replace.

I'd thin out from the other end. Which books aren't you likely to read, which didn't you enjoy, or enjoyed least.

At 30 it is easy, book culls are a simple process. by about 60 that has all changed because your shelves are, through constant filtering, now full of books you really like.
The criteria I now have to apply to make way for the new boys is:
"Can I buy another copy easily if I want it?"
On this basis Asimovs and the like can be given safely to the bookshop if you don't have shed storage for waterproof book boxes.
Anything remotely antiquarian, Sir Aylmer's Heir, (from my Grandmother) Wild Wales, The Misfortunes of Elphin and J.W Dunne's An Experiment with Time, for example always stay.
I never actally re read anything, life is too short to miss new experiences. So they are simply a statement of personal history.

The bookshelf is an art form, biographical really. These are what I loved through my life and what shaped me, for better or worse.

I mostly read on Kindle now but every so often I look at my book case and think 'how can I slim this down further'. I do give away books that I know I'll never read again. And now I'm mostly down to a handful of classics (like a few of the SF Masterworks series I had years back), favourites, books my kids might read one day, or books where the series haven't finished yet.

Sometimes I think of a title I don't have any more and regret it, but I also realised I was holding on to a lot of them just feel 'like a reader' or 'writerly'. I adore reading. Books are brilliant. But sometimes they're just 'stuff'.

I got ruthless during the lockdown and donated, binned or burned loads - I don't think there is a genre book left in my house, but a couple thousand ebooks instead.
The kids have a load, mainly graphic novels.
My missus has a few romance (shudder) books that she treasures and a shelf full of cook books that she never consults

Last edited:
It’s not so bad if you know they’re going to a good home. A friend, maybe, who you know will appreciate them and look after them.

I own very few books anymore. I used to have 2-3 big cases full, but I was moving apartments almost every year and got tired of boxing them up and lugging them around. So eventually I sold most of them for convenience (and probably some drinking money too). I have a small stack of recent-ish purchases to be read, and a small shelf of sentimental or personal favorites that I may reread some day or think I'd share with my kids. If I don't think I'll reread it, it goes.

We will probably move in a few years for more space since we didn't plan on both working from home full-time (or having 2 perpetual motion machine-boys so close together), and that house will hopefully stick a while. If I got a place with some nice shelves, it might be fun to selectively rebuild a library...

I used to have a lot of books but I now only keep my very favourites, a few my gran and great aunts gave me that are precious (they weren't their books I didn't inherit them they were gifted to me for special reasons). I keep the ones relevant to my degree course. Before my degree I was down to about 3 bookshelves. Its increased to a lot more at the moment but I have gifted a lot to my writer's group library.

It seems to me that you know what you need to do! ;) If you don't think you won't ever read them, get rid of them.

you're going to have to spell it out for me @Fried Egg.
what's more frustrating is the space we cleared of 2 large bookshelves to make a new office space for Mrs Moonbat has now had the office desk removed and she'd prefer an office in a different space. So, I could rebuild the bookcases and put them back, or it might be that our boardgame collection (housed in a 5x4 Kallax) gets moved into the space that once housed books.

I give away books , paperback in particular . I tend to keep Hardcover books.