What's your favourite mythical creature?

I know this will sound rather cheap, but it really is whatever monster or creature that's in my current book. I get to know them, and for that time it is my fascination above all others. In one of my books, it was a tarrasque, and for a time that was my favorite. In another, there weren't any monsters and I didn't think much about mythical creatures. In my WIP, there's a lindwurm. I've used that one before, unpublished.

To come at it from the opposite pole, I don't think much of dragons in general. I do think about particular dragons. So, Temeraire was interesting at first but paled. Smaug has always been a favorite. Ones I actively disliked shall remain nameless, mainly because they made so little impression I don't remember them. IOW, I love well-written dragons and find badly written ones to be deadly ... dull.

Hippiesapien was a species of mankind abundant throughout the late 1960's and early 70's which , Recent discoveries indicate that this branch of humanity began rapid decline starting in 1975 and, disappeared complete from the fossil record by the early 1980's . Nobody is sure as to why though, some have theorized that it could have been as result of a dramatic political climate shift of which Hippie Sapient couldn't adapt to. :unsure:
Go to a Pink Floyd concert and this mythical creature came out of the shadows into the light.

I have always been partial to the hybrids. I kicked around the idea of writing a MC centaur that was conflicted between their horse and human halves but I wasn't in the right place at the time.
I remember a woman in Xena who was married to a centaur and had a centaur child. I always thought that must have been a painful birth.

I've always had a soft spot for griffins, but the only one in any of my finished writing was killed by my hero. (There's a griffin with a cameo role in my WIP, though.)

I am not much of a fantasy fan but I was born in a year of the

Dragon

Choice is not an option!

I would have to say dragons; on my desktop, in movies, in literature and even (to a limited extent) as furniture and a bit of wall art...

Enjoy!

Werewolves. I like the fact that every culture had a more or less representation through the ages. In places where wolves aren't endemic, people change to other animals, e.g., weretiger and werehyena.
Have you ever read The Book of Werewolves by Sabine Baring-Gould? It's a study of the transformation myth from around the world, collecting various obscure pieces of folklore to identify how the concept reflects the culture around it, and also delves into instances of lycanthropy, mental illness and sadism and explores how the concept of transforming into a beast relates to human psychology (in as much as it was understood when it was written, the 19th century). If you can find it, it's well worth reading

Have you ever read The Book of Werewolves by Sabine Baring-Gould? It's a study of the transformation myth from around the world, collecting various obscure pieces of folklore to identify how the concept reflects the culture around it, and also delves into instances of lycanthropy, mental illness and sadism and explores how the concept of transforming into a beast relates to human psychology (in as much as it was understood when it was written, the 19th century). If you can find it, it's well worth reading
Thanks. I tried to find it a couple years ago, but it was unavailable back then. I remember reading a book by The Warrens (from "The Conjuring") instead. Disappointed that their werewolf case didn't make the big screen.

Thanks. I tried to find it a couple years ago, but it was unavailable back then. I remember reading a book by The Warrens (from "The Conjuring") instead. Disappointed that their werewolf case didn't make the big screen.
I found copies here: The Book of Werewolves: Amazon.co.uk: Baring-Gould, Sabine, Coleman, Loren: 9781605203355: Books
As for the Warrens, I don't know if any of their books make good fiction, but I don't like fake paranormal "experts" like that, I hated that they portrayed them as genuine in those cheap jumpscare horror movies.

Any kind of nature spirit. When I go hiking and if I don't see anyone else around, I talk to the 'forest' about whatever pops into my mind. One of these days, I'm going to see the cops waiting for me at the trailhead, I'm sure :D