What's your favourite mythical creature?

redzwritez

I love the creatures in fantasy story and mythology. I think my favourite myths are the Norse ones but I don't know if I have a favourite mythical creature.

Dragons. Probably the dragons from Dragonheart are my favorite as far as concept. I don't have a strict favorite visual design, but I like when they look like a believable creature.

I guess griffons if I had to be somewhat original, but I guess I don't have a particular love of anything else.

I did come up with a head-canon about gremlins. Basically they didn't appear until recently because before that they were brownies... Oh, I just looked up brownies to make sure that I had the right creature in mind; not so much of a head-canon.

Brownies and boggarts are both terms for household spirits, fairies that haunt the home. And sometimes, they're one and the same. An angered brownie will stop cleaning and doing chores around the house, and become a boggart, causing mischief and destruction.

Dragons. Probably the dragons from Dragonheart are my favorite as far as concept. I don't have a strict favorite visual design, but I like when they look like a believable creature.

I guess griffons if I had to be somewhat original, but I guess I don't have a particular love of anything else.

I did come up with a head-canon about gremlins. Basically they didn't appear until recently because before that they were brownies... Oh, I just looked up brownies to make sure that I had the right creature in mind; not so much of a head-canon.
I do love dragons too. They're great fun and I love how different they are in different tales. Some dragons can talk, some dragons can't. Some dragons are big and scary like Tolkien's Smaug and some are more like pets like Terry Pratchett's swamp dragons.

Hippies!

FB_IMG_1651953109875.jpg

Werewolves. I like the fact that every culture had a more or less representation through the ages. In places where wolves aren't endemic, people change to other animals, e.g., weretiger and werehyena.

I love the creatures in fantasy story and mythology. I think my favourite myths are the Norse ones but I don't know if I have a favourite mythical creature.
Did you watch Lamb (2021)? It's an Icelandic movie, and features folklore from there. It's creepy AH.

I do love dragons too. They're great fun and I love how different they are in different tales. Some dragons can talk, some dragons can't. Some dragons are big and scary like Tolkien's Smaug and some are more like pets like Terry Pratchett's swamp dragons.

Werewolves. I like the fact that every culture had a more or less representation through the ages. In places where wolves aren't endemic, people change to other animals, e.g., weretiger and werehyena.

Did you watch Lamb (2021)? It's an Icelandic movie, and features folklore from there. It's creepy AH.
I haven't seen that movie actually. It sounds like something I'd really like though. I might try and find it somewhere I can watch it.

my favorite mythical creature is definitely the rational human. I've heard they exist but I'm not sure I've seen one.

Lamb was definitely not what I expected. It was great and weird..... a whole lot of weird.

Charon, as depicted in Britten's Curlew River

and in Dante's poem and other works, and

Satan's character as depicted in Milton's Paradise Lost, who probably has the features of a matinee idol and the rhetoric of a young Napoleon.

I'm a fan of Selkies and the various Sleeping Giants.

I also enjoy the Kellas Cat (technically no longer a mythical creature). It still has attributes attached to it that can't be explained by the ones that have been shot or caught in traps.

Half-convinced by your certainty, I decided to do some research on th'internet.

Took me down a real rabbit-hole.

**Whispers conspiratorially**
I live in Wyoming and a vast swath of our tourist dollars are dependent on the jackalope being real. Ok not really, but still…