Discussion Thread -- May 2022 75 Word Writing Challenge

Oh, I just broke the tie! It is amazing to see the votes spread out like this. :)

Okay, my lists:

Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, Bramandin, Hugh,

Semi-Finalists:
viraltwit, Luiglin, Guttersnipe, Outtalnc, Therapist

Vote:
It was between two:
Guttersnipe's very funny Top of the Barrel (great last line!), and Outallnc's sad Upon Reflection... (another great ending). And (the obvious line follows) upon reflection, I cast my vote for Outallnc, though it was very close. So many fine stories this month.

I want to thank BT Jones, Parson and StilLearning for the listings. And a surprised-but-pleased thanks to Stable for the vote - wow!

On a personal note, I want to say I have retired from the Improving our stories threads, and want to apologize for the terrible critiques I've done in the last 5-6 months. Stress can really build, and it manifested in those unfortunate posts. But of course everyone feels the stress of the last few years, and that's not a great excuse... more of an explanation.
Anyway, best of luck in the voting - I have no idea who will win this Challenge!
Well I hope you reconsider your self-imposed retirement from critiques because I’ve always found your responses to be well-reasoned and helpful.

You are right about one thing, though- the stress of the last year has taken a toll. I used to be more inclined toward a light- hearted approach in my writing. But after losing two loved ones, watching the decline of a third, and current world events, my writing has become much darker. I don’t regret it; I’m a different person than I was a year ago, and my perspective reflects that.

I suspect that’s true for most of us.

Thanks for your vote, CC! (And @Hugh and @StilLearning) Y’all made my day!

If there are a half-a-dozen or more entries that qualify for a tie-breaking poll, I'm going to save myself from doing the work setting up the poll by simply congratulating myself for winning the challenge and leaving it at that.

You. Have. Been. Warned.

Ones I liked:
The Cat-Man Who Wanted Infinite Life
Thank you for the mention. It's as good as a vote for me.
Did anyone else find it strange seeing all the likes on the entries?
I noticed.
Shortlist -
Starbeast - thought your entry was very funny.
Thanks for the great comment. I like adding the humor.
If there are a half-a-dozen or more entries that qualify for a tie-breaking poll, I'm going to save myself from doing the work setting up the poll by simply congratulating myself for winning the challenge and leaving it at that.

You. Have. Been. Warned.
You made my Runners Up list.

Did anyone else find it strange seeing all the likes on the entries?

I've inadvertently 'liked' an entry or two in the past whilst scrolling through the entries on a smartphone. It's easily done.

I got my knuckles gently rapped by, I seem to remember, TDZ.

Edit: Looks like it was intentional in this case, though.

That was a great theme and many entries made fun with it. Several also made a clever use of the unique properties of the infinite.
Mentions are for:
@Victoria Silverwolf - describes beautifully how Escher coaxed perspective into infinite beauty.
@SRDFrench - we're still waiting for the professor to initiate the experiment...
@JS Wiig - Knowing your enemy isn't enough. Are you brave enough to face yourself?

Shortlist:
@Starbeast - Darn, darn, darn, darn... what a way to spent eternity. It was only one touch!
@Aknot - a story worthy to become part of our mythology for all eternity.

Runner-up:
@M. Robert Gibson - Who would have thought immortality would only take 4 lines of code? Untested though, it may crash if it runs Out of Memory.

Vote:
@therapist - for a well written story, with humor and a clever use of infinity's sole short-coming; it never ends.

Covered in flour, cream, jam, icing and sticky sugar in various colours.... in a manic frenzy to match Bowler1 sugar glued hair, he stumbles on to the thread.

I'm not too good at baking, but if it's votes for cakes I'm game. What do you like, I can do it, anything you fancy.

Sweet smelling smoke drifts by, burnt sugar and treacle, mixed with sticky fruit sirup.

That's just well done, not burnt, as Bowler1 rushes off.

The bad news is that I have four stories that are, more or less**, worthy of getting my vote, and I'm having trouble deciding which one gets it...

...and it doesn't help that all are humorous, in one way or another, so I can't arbitrarily drop one or more for lacking humour. :unsure:

The good news (although this might change) is that they're all stories that currently have three votes. :cool:

** - It can't be less: this challenge is about infinity. :rolleyes:

The bad news is that I have four stories that are, more or less**, worthy of getting my vote, and I'm having trouble deciding which one gets it...

...and it doesn't help that all are humorous, in one way or another, so I can't arbitrarily drop one or more for lacking humour. :unsure:

The good news (although this might change) is that they're all stories that currently have three votes. :cool:

** - It can't be less: this challenge is about infinity. :rolleyes:
Ah that's what you get for last minute voting.:giggle:
The real challenge for you is now the 'political' one faced by many a kingmaker. :unsure:

As it turns out, I voted for the one with the least obvious humour (it still made me laugh**), but the one closest to capturing the simplicity (and unfathomableness) of infinity, namely The Infinite Room Hotel by therapist.

With (worthless, in points) condolences to Disappointing revelations: by StilLearning, With A Little Help No Task Is Futile by Aknot, and Going Loopy by M. Robert Gibson.

** - It was the thought of an infinite number of hotel staff -- a hotel with an infinite number of rooms must have an infinite number of employees -- all frantically dealing with having to move an infinite number of guests into an infinite number of rooms with a number 1 larger than the one they were in.

Last edited:

Back