What Are Your Writing/Reading Preferences?

IWillREBEL

"You fail only if you stop writing."
What is your favorite genre to read and why? Also, what is your favorite genre to write and why? I realized just recently that what we love to read isn't always what we're good at writing and vice-versa. Our feelings towards certain genres often depend on whether we are reading or writing them.

For me, I love to read high fantasy. I genuinely respect authors who can develop concrete, magical world systems that immerse the reader into the story. As a person with a vivid imagination, reading high fantasy allows me to explore my creativity on another level. I love to write cyberpunk - quite a shift, I know - because I enjoy predicting what our world would like one hundred years or even one decade into the future. Plus, I have a tech-side and love imagining what it would look like in the ultimate 'dystopian' future.

Okay, now it's your turn! ;)

Hello! For me it has always been the most interesting to read detective, crime books.
Also, from time to time, I like romantic novels, but only if the plot is not too basic.
What about writing - the situation is slightly different. I write short fantastic stories. Everything takes place on Earth, with people, but I add some fantastic details

hey NicoleBricks how are you :)

Welcome to the Forum there's lots to see and talk about that I'm sure you'll enjoy so take a look around, everyone is super kind and helpful :)

I think it often happens that we like a type of book, film, poem ect ect but we have no concrete confidence in our abilities or understanding of the elements for that type of genre, for example I like horror a bit not soo much horror films cause most now a days are rubbish but if I was thrown a horror book and encouraged to read then I'll do it and with my story I am blending in horror elements but I am not writing a pure horror book I just don't know how to keep the tension and fears ect going through a whole books worth especially without other blends of genre mixing in.

I also think we can like watching many types of genre but maybe to escape the elements we are used to from that genre we at some point branch out to a range of books, you can watch a horror film for instance and then two sci fi films and that's fine we often like looking at lots of types of genre and styles but for books it can make things boring if you read 15 or however many horror books in a row, one has zombies, one somebody was found under the patio, one's a murder mystery so yes they all have their unique qualities and of-course the writer even if the same person should make each book feel different but you would get tired of it quick.

The trouble with reading is it takes time more than a film and you often lose track if you pause for a long time between reading a section of the book to the next, whats going on what happend 2 chapters ago ect so to add an element of everything feels the same its all scary scary troupes of horror or whatever type of book your reading takes enjoyment out of the whole process so I think that's a main element of why our reading styles compared to films styles differ which applies to writing in contrast with reading as writing something even when its a struggle if its for you or a friend for example (not the stress of being a big publisher) you tend to have fun and build your ideas on the core of the genre and its fun finding the elements of that genre and shaking some up but keeping some grounded for people reading the book.

I think that again it comes down to what type of style you like and or are good at even if you take inspiration from other genres and books you know of.

I also think it can take a very long time to write your own book that you don't notice feeling worn out by the genre, you may get tried of writing for months sometimes but its not the same wearing down effect you can get from reading compared to writing a particular type of genre for a long time (whether that be for one book or a few at once) , reading 3, 5 or more books of the same genre which use similar elements and troupes (take action oriented books for example, how many times you get scenes similar to he climbed the wall into the base, he is a top agent or these are the secret plans ect due to being some of the core elements/troupes from the action genre) can make the experience very repetitive, uninspiring and boring, whereas writing for these troupes adding your own twists and matches to the genre in addition to knowing what happens next, whats the goal going to be three chapters down the line ect as your write keeps things fresh, self educational and rewarding skipping that wearing down effect allowing you to write the same type of genre for a number of years and maybe you ace that type of genre/style which is why I think many famous writers have their roots in a range of successful books ect in their preferred type of genre and even though they have talent they just know the genre like the back off their hand sometimes branching out as a writer after soo long to sticking to the frame, troupes and style of that genre can back fire on you.

Trying to boil this down I think it comes down to confidence, trying to avoid fatigue and your skills as a writer whether or not they match the types of books you like to read.

I think there are very few people who ace writing for any genre you throw at them though its soo common for us as people who love new experiences, freshness and attaching ourselves to something to have a multitude of genres of films, book ect we like but you cant digest written material of the same elements such as troupes, plots, dialogue ect over and over again like a conveyor belt you need to shake things up I think when processing written text and as writers isn't that good for us we can absorb new ideas and elements of many genres, books ect all of which makes us stronger writers like eating your 5 a day you wont eat 5 carrots a day and say that counts and its good for me you need to shake things up and I think its good for our brains too, you stare at the same wall all day you'll go mad we need the picture to change if that makes sense :)

Its true though people can enjoy reading a particular type of genre over and over again but they still don't want they same troupes used in the same way I think so its like a small freshness in that sense :)

I know it seems like I've gone way off the tracks with the question ha I thought of a really good point and then noticed I forgot to include reading vs writing and I am pretty worn down so I'm trying to fix this oh well.

I think my last few paragraphs placed the train back on the tracks and I liked it ha :)

Take care everyone :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

I like reading any quality SF, and writing medium to long future SF.

Science Fiction is my favourite genre by far. If i had to narrow it down further i'd suggest that Space Opera and Military Science Fiction are probably my go to sub-genre. I might dabble in a horror occasionally.

I used to read anything when i was younger, but as a 50 year old man, i seen to have really narrowed by field.

Never been into the writing side of things.

I'm not too particular, but, for the most part, I really only read speculative fiction. I guess if I had to pick, it would be contemporary/urban fantasy, especially if it's pretty unique and, perhaps, a bit philosophical. That being said, I'll read sci-fi or horror before medieval/high/heroic fantasy, in part due to my having read "too much" of it.

contemporary fantasy > soft sci-fi > supernatural/psychological horror > high fantasy > hard sci-fi

Why? I guess it's because fantasy doesn't seem to know any bounds. Also, science fiction can presage science fact, while I don't believe in magic or miracles. So it's a welcome escape.

My favourite genre to read is fantasy, I simply adore fantasy.
But I tend to excel better at writing science fiction.
I try to write fantasy, but just cannot succeed.
However, science fiction comes pretty easy to me in writing.

I'd love to be able to write well.

I write the SOP's and training material at work so my "style" is very uninteresting. I'm a bit fan of bullet points and lists, though. :)

Last edited: