What are the 3 main reasons that cause you to CONTINUE READING a NEW (fiction) author?

Stuart Suffel

This is the beginning of a highly complex and sophisticated reader preference analysis thingy. Once there's enough responses, I (AKA "Da Researcher" TM) will then draw up a list of 'things' derived from said responses, and this list will be offered up to more folks to vote on in a poll.*

So, this is some author YOU STUMBLED OR HAPPENED upon. Not someone recommended to you. It DOES NOT MATTER WHY you chose to read the book (cool cover design etc)

You start reading their work, and you find yourself CONTINUING TO READ.

Using this like, mega, scientifically rigorous process, any aspiring writer will finally understand why no one /everyone/ someone/ Mum/ reads their brilliant work, (or something like that.)

If the muse hits you, and you intend to wax lyrical re your reasons, and excessively, that's fine - as long as you list (in short sentences) 3 things at the end, in, em, a list - so the data analysis persons doesn't spend years wading through words to get to the meaty bits.

* Winner of the poll gets to realise that, in fact, 'we are all winners' TM

ETA. so, a useful way of understanding your reasons, might be to know the reasons you stopped reading the book! So if that's easier, do that. I will be able to derive the list from either approach. Also, it's not too important if you actually buy the book (coz, money doesnt grow on trees, n stuff)

"may the force be with yese." TM

Last edited:
Things that keep me reading:
  1. A mystery or story secret right off the bat that captures my curiosity
  2. A compelling character that invites me to see the world in a new way
  3. World-building that unfolds through action, not info-dumps.

Its simple. If you enjoy the first dose you will want to come back for more. The bookshop allowing you to browse (or the 'peak inside' function on Amazon) is like a dealer giving away the first fix free. So, the question is; how do you please the reader in the first few pages? There are many ways. You could start with a reference to an exciting climax before reverting to a necessarily more mundane beginning. For example " Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours that they meant to murder him." from Graham Greene's Brighton Rock. George MacDonald Fraser - one of my favorite writers - always starts a book well. From Flashman and the Dragon: "Old professor Flashy's first law of economics is that the time to beware of a pretty woman is not when you're flush of cash (well, you know what she's after, and what's a bankroll more or less?), but when you're short of the scratch and she offers to set you right." He then goes on to tell a short but funny anecdote that has little to do with the upcoming story but certainly lets you know what you are in for if you continue reading.

Really there is no formula for this, so I don't think it can be reduced to ticking boxes. The opening has to be interesting, that's all. It's hard to define but we all know it when we see it.

Its simple. If you enjoy the first dose you will want to come back for more. The bookshop allowing you to browse (or the 'peak inside' function on Amazon) is like a dealer giving away the first fix free. So, the question is; how do you please the reader in the first few pages? There are many ways. You could start with a reference to an exciting climax before reverting to a necessarily more mundane beginning. For example " Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours that they meant to murder him." from Graham Greene's Brighton Rock. George MacDonald Fraser - one of my favorite writers - always starts a book well. From Flashman and the Dragon: "Old professor Flashy's first law of economics is that the time to beware of a pretty woman is not when you're flush of cash (well, you know what she's after, and what's a bankroll more or less?), but when you're short of the scratch and she offers to set you right." He then goes on to tell a short but funny anecdote that has little to do with the upcoming story but certainly lets you know what you are in for if you continue reading.

Really there is no formula for this, so I don't think it can be reduced to ticking boxes. The opening has to be interesting, that's all. It's hard to define but we all know it when we see it.
Ok, but what makes you, Christine, continue to read a book from a new/ unknown author you have happened upon? There must be at least one overwhelming reason?
So, a useful way of understanding your reasons, might be to know the reasons you stopped reading the book! So if that's easier, do that. I will be able to derive the list from either approach. Also, it's not too important if you actually buy the book (coz, money doesnt grow on trees, n stuff)

Well, leaving aside little tricks aimed at engaging a reader, I would say this:

I'm looking for evidence that the writer can really write! Irrespective of the opening technique, I'm going to be put off by clumsy writing or poorly constructed sentences. I want to see some decent prose if I'm going to commit to wading through more of it.

Well, leaving aside little tricks aimed at engaging a reader, I would say this:

I'm looking for evidence that the writer can really write! Irrespective of the opening technique, I'm going to be put off by clumsy writing or poorly constructed sentences. I want to see some decent prose if I'm going to commit to wading through more of it.
Perfect. I'll put that down on my list as "Appropriate Use of Grammar, Syntax & sentence Structure" or maybe just "Readability" (as opposed to say "Style of Writing" - jeez, this is getting tough already!) which I suspect will be in the top 5 outcomes. (Hope that last sentence does not skew/ taint this scientific experiment!)

I think Outtalnc nailed the most important reasons.

I've been known to buy books on the basis of a decent cover. The most recent of which was Artefact Space by Miles Cameron, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I will go back and buy the sequel(s).

My favourite writer is Iain M. Banks. I love his imagination, which is both dark and humorous. Something I've noticed recently is that I really appreciate his use of language and will often find myself rereading a chapter simply just to experience it again. I really want to do a Culture re-read.

Last edited:
I think Outtalnc nailed the most important reasons.

I've been known to buy books on the basis of a decent cover. The most recent of which was Artefact Space by Miles Cameron, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I will go back and buy the sequel(s).

My favourite writer is Iain M. Banks. I love his imagination, which is both dark and humorous. Something I've noticed recently is that I really appreciate his use of language and will often find myself rereading a chapter simply purely to experience it again. I really want to do a Culture re-read.
Cool, I agree Outlalnc (did rob some of the best) gave some nice concise reasons, but I like to believe EVERYONE'S opinion matters! Lol.
So, I'll put you down for Outtalnc's 3, plus Writing Style and maybe Emotional Tone (as opposed to Emotional Impact, but I might have to combine those two to keep it within a reasonable amount of options.) Should eventually get around 14 or so main reasons, which should be enough for a larger poll. (I'm guessing somewhere around 14 will be enough, but we'll see what emerges.)

Last edited:
Cool, I agree Outlalnc (did rob some of the best) gave some nice concise reasons, but I like to believe EVERYONE'S opinion matters! Lol.
So, I'll put you down for Outtalnc's 3, plus Writing Style and maybe Emotional Tone (as opposed to Emotional Impact, but I might have to combine those two to keep it within a reasonable amount of options.) Should eventually get around 14 or so main reasons, which should be enough for a larger poll. (I'm guessing somewhere around 14 will be enough, but we'll see what emerges.)
LOL I'm glad you and Rodders liked my post.

Meanwhile, I'm over here kicking myself for writing "captures my curiosity" rather than "piques" because the little editor in my head is saying, "Shouldn't that have read 'captured my attention"? Can curiosity really be captured like attention can? Don't you mean piqued your curiosity, or maybe stimulated...? Tsk, Should've given that one more thought before posting..."

Argh. That little editor.

LOL I'm glad you and Rodders liked my post.

Meanwhile, I'm over here kicking myself for writing "captures my curiosity" rather than "piques" because the little editor in my head is saying, "Shouldn't that have read 'captured my attention"? Can curiosity really be captured like attention can? Don't you mean piqued your curiosity, or maybe stimulated...? Tsk, Should've given that one more thought before posting..."

Argh. That little editor.
Welcome, fellow Writer.
Lol.
:giggle:

1. Voice gets me reading. The narrator, whether unnamed (and so one assumes [not always correctly], the author) or a character in the story, must grab my inner ear. Hemingway could probably detail his journey into the deepest, darkest parts of the telephone directory and keep me reading. Ditto Raymond Chandler and Ursula Le Guin.
2. Building off voice are story and characterization, intimately tied together, one needing the other to "be" in the first place. One different character would, in theory, change the story altogether.
3. Description: This is a fine line. The story needs enough to help me visualize, but not so much I bog down. Help me "see" your world, whether it's a colony on Pluto, Nevaneva Land or 1940s L.A. On the other hand, I don't find Tolkein too descriptive (unlike some younger readers) and was captivated by Mervyn Peake's descriptions in Titus Groan, but also really enjoy the rat-a-tat-tat simile spewing style of Chandler, the terse poetry of Hemingway, and the lush observation and wit of Angela Carter. Which kinda brings me back to "voice".

Can curiosity really be captured like attention can?
Roped, tied and trotted around the ring. I recall discussing a book with a friend and telling him the story grabbed me by the lapels and dragged me after it because I had to know what happened and how it ended.

Doesn't matter about style, content or anything else. If I pick up a book it has to reel me in, the subject is irrelevant, it has to speak to me.
Give me a hook. Its hard to say why I carry on reading, very simplicit I know but there is no individual answer.

thingy??? ok
three things...
that's just silly lol

1 -i like it
2- it makes me think or stop thinking
3 - good imagination

Doesn't matter about style, content or anything else. If I pick up a book it has to reel me in, the subject is irrelevant, it has to speak to me.
Give me a hook. Its hard to say why I carry on reading, very simplicit I know but there is no individual answer.
There's as many individual answers as there is readers... o_O
:ninja:

thingy??? ok
three things...
that's just silly lol

1 -i like it
2- it makes me think or stop thinking
3 - good imagination
Ok, Tobl, gonna put you down as Engaging Concept or Idea/ Premise and....Writing Style.
Nixie, gonna go the same, although expressed differently. ...Engaging Concept or Idea/Premise and Writing Style (or Emotional Tone /Impact, if that becomes a category)
Yup, the list choices/ definitions will be fluffy at the edges, but the core element should hold true in each.

Last edited:
1. Voice gets me reading. The narrator, whether unnamed (and so one assumes [not always correctly], the author) or a character in the story, must grab my inner ear. Hemingway could probably detail his journey into the deepest, darkest parts of the telephone directory and keep me reading. Ditto Raymond Chandler and Ursula Le Guin.
2. Building off voice are story and characterization, intimately tied together, one needing the other to "be" in the first place. One different character would, in theory, change the story altogether.
3. Description: This is a fine line. The story needs enough to help me visualize, but not so much I bog down. Help me "see" your world, whether it's a colony on Pluto, Nevaneva Land or 1940s L.A. On the other hand, I don't find Tolkein too descriptive (unlike some younger readers) and was captivated by Mervyn Peake's descriptions in Titus Groan, but also really enjoy the rat-a-tat-tat simile spewing style of Chandler, the terse poetry of Hemingway, and the lush observation and wit of Angela Carter. Which kinda brings me back to "voice".

Roped, tied and trotted around the ring. I recall discussing a book with a friend and telling him the story grabbed me by the lapels and dragged me after it because I had to know what happened and how it ended.
Will categorize this tomorrow, as tired now. Seems like there is 4 there, which is fine. The more reasons the better really.

I continue to read everything that I start. I've never abandoned or stopped reading a novel. I may be an outlier.

Certainly it is not because all books are equal to me, some are clearly much better than others! However, I like to give everything a full chance (i.e. to the end) and I can read quite fast.

If it was a new author and I thought it was poor with few redeeming qualities, however, I will not buy/attempt another of their books. I gave them a chance, after all.

I continue to read everything that I start. I've never abandoned or stopped reading a novel. I may be an outlier.

Certainly it is not because all books are equal to me, some are clearly much better than others! However, I like to give everything a full chance (i.e. to the end) and I can read quite fast.

If it was a new author and I thought it was poor with few redeeming qualities, however, I will not buy/attempt another of their books. I gave them a chance, after all.
Just to clarify Ven.
Are you saying that once you begin to read a book, say, while perusing a bookshop, or library, examining the goods as it were, that once you open a book and take a read, that you will then read that book to the end? Every time?

Because the books we take home, well, yeah, I can see that. But BEFORE they make it into the basket, after the first read, you will always finish that book?

The OP question is really, which would you 'take home if you could' (either virtually or physically) after happening across them. But 'continue reading' is shorter.

Last edited:
Just to clarify Ven.
Are you saying that once you begin to read a book, say, while perusing a bookshop, or library, examining the goods as it were, that once you open a book and take a read, that you will then read that book to the end? Every time?

Because the books we take home, well, yeah, I can see that. But BEFORE they make it into the basket, after the first read, you will always finish that book?

The OP question is really, which would you 'take home' (either virtually or physically) after happening across them. But 'continue reading' is shorter.
I don't really do what you are saying while perusing in the Bookstore. Don't even bother reading the blurb usually.

Usually I use my encyclopaedic memory of writers I stumble across, or, for new authors, either take a punt (why not?) on something that catches my eye (so usually title and some sense of what the cover is trying to tell me, i.e. 'read' the design and quality of the cover), go for all those shortlisted in various awards (which should guarantee some level of quality), or based on my friends recommendations and other sources (say, like a literary review or a post here on Chrons).

I'm more than willing, and have done so hundreds of time, to take a chance on the content without reading a single word inside the covers. I feel it keeps things fresh.

Oh, I do tend very much to avoid books that are clearly marked as part of a series. A bunch of standalone novels set in the same universe - fine.

So yes, every book I read to the end.

I don't really do what you are saying while perusing in the Bookstore. Don't even bother reading the blurb usually.

Usually I use my encyclopaedic memory of writers I stumble across, or, for new authors, either take a punt (why not?) on something that catches my eye (so usually title and some sense of what the cover is trying to tell me, i.e. 'read' the design and quality of the cover), go for all those shortlisted in various awards (which should guarantee some level of quality), or based on my friends recommendations and other sources (say, like a literary review or a post here on Chrons).

I'm more than willing, and have done so hundreds of time, to take a chance on the content without reading a single word inside the covers. I feel it keeps things fresh.

Oh, I do tend very much to avoid books that are clearly marked as part of a series. A bunch of standalone novels set in the same universe - fine.

So yes, every book I read to the end.
Ok, so it seems what causes you to continue reading a new author that you happen upon is Habit/ Philosophy of 'I've started, so I'll finish'. That's cool. Can't see that one becoming a category for the list in the poll, but, who knows? Many thanks.
Reckon it should be possible to get at least 10 categories within a week or so. Then....THE BIG POLL OF TRUTH!!!! Or, you know, something like that.

Back