Back Cover Blurbing My Book

My blurb writing attempts so far have been rubbish. With that said might it be interesting to focus on Penn's quandary = either she enters into a potentially loveless marriage with an unknown man - honours her father's sale of her OR she rebels, refuses to comply which then means dire consequences for her father and her village ? One day she decides to come down on one side, the next the other.

You've certainly got a lot of advice and interested going ckatt, but maybe not as you first planned.

I think your later versions are better clearly, but the central thread in your story is not presented well as yet. If the girls journey brings her world down then that's the hook, because I'd be wondering why and how. I'm not sold on her village or plastics, while slavery is not an issue for me, the forced marriage in the blurb is

Your problem is simple, your cutting across a lot of our modern sensibilities which a good book should do, but your blurb needs to be well honed to hook the reader in. World changing conflict with an innocent girl that is caught up in this tempest would do me, the rest can wait for your reader to discover.

Good luck with it, and later.

And as per Parson it would seem, keep it simple and focused.

Last edited:
So I have a completed draft of my WIP (almost hit my deadline of year's end) and seeing the book blurbs here inspired me to write one of my own for this 120 thousand word monstrosity. I'm sure the novel will change as I revise it, but I thought this would be a good exercise.

This is just a starting point. I know nothing about such blurbs. But I read a few tutorials online and here's my best effort.

Perhaps the last sentence is too long?

Eager to hear if this makes the book sound interesting or tired.

In a future where food and clean water are scarce and plastics are plentiful, one young woman, Penn, is sold by her father to appease a new trading partner of their starving village. But Penn is not like other girls, and her husband-to-be sees her copper-red hair as a divine icon that can cement his rule over one of the continent's largest cities. But when her boat sinks, Penn does not arrive as planned. Now to honour her father's pact, she must make her way across a wasteland to the wedding she never wanted, fighting for her life against the forces that seek to control her, all the while plagued by sparking pain in her nerves that is a link to the forgotten Blue Epoch.
Thanks for taking a look
It's an interesting premise, but I can imagine some people getting salty over some of the word choice. I'll say to ditch the "not like the other girls" part (cliche) but leave the rest. It looks like it promises a lot of internal conflict, at any rate.