Appalling cover curl from Amazon

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
I have to say that the level of cover curl on two batches of my novel from amazon is just terrible. I've sold quite few and it is a bit embarrassing.
You set them out at a signing and off they go, opening like blooming flowers. It's not a good look.
Anyone else suffering this?
I may have to transfer allegiance to Ingram Spark whom I am told are better on that front.
Sam_4281.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately Ingram Spark aren't much better in my experience. Best one's I've had have been from Print-on-demand-worldwide.

Is that a matt or gloss cover? I think matt might be worse. I seem to recall having matt originally on my proof copies (not yet actually published) and changing it to gloss for that reason, but I could be wrong - that might have been more to do with colour reproduction.

Anyway, yes, it's annoying. I've no idea why they haven't managed to sort it out yet.

Is that a matt or gloss cover? I think matt might be worse. I seem to recall having matt originally on my proof copies (not yet actually published) and changing it to gloss for that reason, but I could be wrong - that might have been more to do with colour reproduction.

Anyway, yes, it's annoying. I've no idea why they haven't managed to sort it out yet.
It's matt. I'll see how easy it is to change the spec to gloss on the website. :unsure: It should be simple enough. (Famous last words.)

I wonder if this is due to humidity and not always apparent? Or maybe a localized problem? I have bought several print-on-demand books recently from Amazon that look to be similar stock but no curling.

I wonder if this is due to humidity and not always apparent? Or maybe a localized problem? I have bought several print-on-demand books recently from Amazon that look to be similar stock but no curling.
My home office here is at 60% humidity But they were doing it during the signing at the library which is humidity optimised for books, so I don't know.
Nowhere have they stayed flat like proper books. Maybe it's a conspiracy to thwart my career :unsure:
What is the humidity in your locale Yozh?
Someone said it happens if the grain of the cover card is oriented the wrong way by the printers.

I am in the US--just for reference here.
@HareBrain I have both yours and they are matte[they don't have this problem].
@Astro Pen I have a copy of Changebringer it also is matte and does not exhibit this problem.

@Astro Pen incidentally there are two formatting errors and maybe 4or 5 grammatical errors in the book.

I might point out from experience in ordering my own books from amazon that they use several different houses to print the books and I'm sure that somewhere along the line that some have looser quality standards than others.

This curling could also happen in a humid environment.

One thing for sure--the final price the customer pays would argue that this should not be happening right out of the box.

My home office here is at 60% humidity But they were doing it during the signing at the library which is humidity optimised for books, so I don't know.
Nowhere have they stayed flat like proper books. Maybe it's a conspiracy to thwart my career :unsure:
What is the humidity in your locale Yozh?
Someone said it happens if the grain of the cover card is oriented the wrong way by the printers.
My humidity today is 85%

I am in the US--just for reference here.
@Astro Pen I have a copy of Changebringer it also is matte and does not exhibit this problem.

@Astro Pen incidentally there are two formatting errors and maybe 4or 5 grammatical errors in the book.

I might point out from experience in ordering my own books from amazon that they use several different houses to print the books and I'm sure that somewhere along the line that some have looser quality standards than others.

This curling could also happen in a humid environment.

One thing for sure--the final price the customer pays would argue that this should not be happening right out of the box.
Thanks @tinkerdan That is good news. (y) Maybe the UK print house they used for the bulk orders is different to single purchases. I will PM you.

Daft question, but do the covers flatten if you leave them with a few heavy books on them for a couple of days? Just wondering aloud if there's an easy fix for you.

The first was a standard paperback run. The second, the publisher did as POD from I think Lightning Source, which seemed to turn out better cover quality than I've seen from Amazon.

@HareBrain :my experience with the POD through Exlibris is that they send the electronic files to Amazon and Amazon uses their printers to do all the print editions. It is likely that any POD that is ordered through Amazon will essentially be an Amazon treatment.

@HareBrain :my experience with the POD through Exlibris is that they send the electronic files to Amazon and Amazon uses their printers to do all the print editions. It is likely that any POD that is ordered through Amazon will essentially be an Amazon treatment.
I think you're right for TEP (second book) in the US. In the UK, the publisher did small-batch printing from Lightning Source and then sold through Amazon as normal (which is why it's not available!). So the paperback copies I have are definitely from LS and the (matt) covers are very good. I haven't seen what you get if you order from Amazon US. (The first book, TGP, should still be a trad print run, though, with rougher paper.)

OK it is the British printers.
The proof copy is perfectly flat, it was printed by 'Amazon Italia Logistica' The curly ones are all "printed in Great Britain by Amazon"
I have complained to Amazon but they obviously have no intention of redressing this saying the waviness (there is no waviness, it is cover curl) is humidity and they will settle down in a few weeks. Well, it has been a few weeks, judge for yourselves.
curled book covers close up.jpg

Update: They have agreed to refund on the remaining copies (above) :giggle:
All vey civilised once quality engineers had looked into it.
It wasn't really about the money but about addressing a quality control issue, but it is a nice gesture. (y)
23 were sold like this before I realised.
I am pleased that individual buyers overseas are not having the issue.
I'll wait a few weeks before ordering a copy to see if things have improved. And 'experiment' with some of these.

Follow up on my earlier comment. The same book that was fine in my house at 85% humidity ground level curled up just like @Astro Pen ‘s copies when I read it last week on an airplane.

I ordered a proof copy (of my "Half an Empire") from Amazon, and it now has curl, just like the picture in the first post above. It also arrived with the envelope unsealed, and a strip of brown + adhesive stuck diagonally across the cover, which i had to ease off with a pad soaked in methylated spirits. And a tear in the edge of the cover. Altogether I was not impressed. It was printed by Amazon Italia Logistica and took ten days in all to arrive.
As it was a proof rather than for-sale copy I did not feel it was worth complaining.