What Was the Last Television Episode You Watched?

J-Sun

In the vein of "What was the last movie you saw?" there's this thread. (Apologies if it's been done before - and it seems likely - but a search didn't turn up anything.)

I would figure people would generally be inspired to post about extraordinary episodes but who knows? - anything's fair game and, for me, it just occurred to me to post this thread out of curiosity about hearing what others had to say and didn't have anything to do with what I last watched. But, just to get the ball rolling, it happens to have been "Yesterday is Tomorrow" from the original Star Trek. It's got awful science fiction details even for Star Trek but it's a decent general SF idea (the Enterprise is hurled back in time to 1960s Earth, is intercepted by a US fighter jet, accidentally destroys the jet in its tractor beam, so has to transport the pilot aboard before he's killed, then has to deal with whether returning him or keeping him will ruin the timeline, as well as getting the evidence of the Enterprise that the plane's wreckage held before anyone sees it) and it's really entertainingly executed, so I enjoyed it. (And it has the line where Kirk tells McCoy he sounds like Spock and McCoy drawls, "If you're gonna get nasty, I'm gonna leave.")

So what have you seen, what was it about, and what did you think of it?

Star Trek: TOS “Court Martial”

A crew member dies and Kirk is up for trial to defend his actions. Pretty decent episode.

The complete first season of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In as well as some of season two, plus the pilot (not part of the regular series) and some interviews. Yes, we bought the complete series on DVD and are working our way through it.

General thoughts:

Frenetic editing. Humor ranges from adult and satiric to childish and silly. Very talented cast, able to do physical and verbal comedy, as well as dance and sing. The famous catchphrases ("Sock it to me," "Very interesting," "Here come de judge,") show up very early. The musical numbers seem corny compared to the more Swingin' Sixties stuff. Highlights include Gary Owens' old-time radio announcer bit and the unique talents of Tiny Tim. Lots of very brief shots of guest stars we're supposed to recognize without being told who they are. (Sonny Tufts gets a director's chair with his name on it; I guess he wasn't famous enough, unlike, say Richard Nixon ["Sock it to me?"].) Shortest skirts you've ever seen.

Something about abandoned buildings, can't remember the title.
Currently watching The Holzer Files, about old paranormal investigation files revisited.

Stath Lets Flats series 3.

Not as good as the other two but a nice way to finish the series. I'll binge Season 6 of The Expanse tonight.

Lovejoy, one episode a night, now up to season 5. Will binge Expanse season 6 whenever I get a new roku box, old one won't get new amazon format. Bought a cheap roku that got amazon for a week, then it said not authorized for amazon, so on with Lovejoy.

I saw Toast of Tinseltown last night. It was quite amusing.

I like Diane Morgan and i saw that the iPlayer had something called "Mandy". I'm two episodes in and it is quite funny.

In the vein of "What was the last movie you saw?" there's this thread. (Apologies if it's been done before - and it seems likely - but a search didn't turn up anything.)

I would figure people would generally be inspired to post about extraordinary episodes but who knows? - anything's fair game and, for me, it just occurred to me to post this thread out of curiosity about hearing what others had to say and didn't have anything to do with what I last watched. But, just to get the ball rolling, it happens to have been "Yesterday is Tomorrow" from the original Star Trek. It's got awful science fiction details even for Star Trek but it's a decent general SF idea (the Enterprise is hurled back in time to 1960s Earth, is intercepted by a US fighter jet, accidentally destroys the jet in its tractor beam, so has to transport the pilot aboard before he's killed, then has to deal with whether returning him or keeping him will ruin the timeline, as well as getting the evidence of the Enterprise that the plane's wreckage held before anyone sees it) and it's really entertainingly executed, so I enjoyed it. (And it has the line where Kirk tells McCoy he sounds like Spock and McCoy drawls, "If you're gonna get nasty, I'm gonna leave.")

So what have you seen, what was it about, and what did you think of it?
One of my favorites.

Cannon series pilot movie-- I used to watch this in the 70s. This has Earl Holliman (Police Woman) and JD Cannon (McCloud) as guest stars.

McCloud season 2 episode 6--Dennis Weaver's son guest stars as an eccentric violinist (he reminds me of Dean Stockwell).

Policewoman season 1 episode 4? Pepper goes undercover as a flight attendant to expose drug smugglers. I have been watching this off and on. I used to watch back in the 70s. I think these hour dramas are sometimes too short--it feels like it is missing some scenes--they have to wrap things up really fast.

Petrocelli - Episode 1-season 1. After two pilot movies (one being a feature film) this episode is under 50 minutes. Standard 70s fluff drama-crime show. I think Susan Howard is criminally underused.
She could have done feature roles based on Moonshine County Express.

Batman tv series - "That Darn Catwoman/Scat! Darn Catwoman." I can't watch the show often because it is so jokey--it gets groan-worthy after a while. The Green Hornet had none of that--but that show was so short and devoid of fantasy. If Batman had been more serious except for jokes that naturally came out of it, maybe it would have been more appealing now.
Star Trek had jokes too and the premise and costumes were also silly but it didn't make it so obvious.

The last episode of the second season of The Boys: What I Know. The whole season has been pretty fun and satisfying to watch, especially in how everything was tied together neatly in the last episode. Add that one cliffhanger plot twist at the end, and they got me hungry for the third season!

The Great and Terrible Missus likes to flip on the non-stop Andy Griffith channel in the pre-dawn hours when she has trouble getting back to sleep.

Episodes usually run from mildly amusing, to clever, to painfully sappy.

One night, last week was bizzaro world: Barney and Floyd ran out of gas on the way home from a fishing trip. They are kidnapped and held hostages by escaped convicts from a women's prison; and forced, at gunpoint, to Dance and Smooch.

The following episode, Thelma Lou refuses to accompany Barney to the Big Dance, unless Barney finds a Date for a visiting Ugly Cousin.
Andy has a previous engagement, so Gomer is enlisted as the Blind Date to the Big Dance. Really Bizarre hijinks ensue.
Who'd a guessed that Jim Nabors could cut a rug, so?

Last edited:
Saw the last two eps of the latest series of Cobra Kai. I love this show, it's in my top 3 for the more recent shows (other two are After Life and Detectorists) but what the hell was that in the penultimate ep?! They get some supposed celebrity singer woman on (only a celeb in the US, I presume, so no impact to a non-American anyway) and it disrupts the whole flow of the ep and just didn't sit right at all. They've not done that sort of thing in this show so I've no idea why they thought it a good idea to bring this random in. Been lots of disgruntled fans about that from what I've read. Besides that, it was brilliant. I love Hawk.

Also saw the first ep of the new series of After Life. Brilliant, brilliant show. So funny and sad at the same time.

Then Junior Bake Off. Hilarious. First ep of the second lot of bakers.

Hollyoaks. They're turning James into that coin toss person from No Country For Old Men. Which is irritating.

The Great Pottery Throw Down. We have bets in this house on how many times an ep Keith is going to cry.

Person of Interest - Terra Ingonita
Reese decides to take a number on his own as it is connected to a cold case of the deceased Detective Carter. The episode is intercut with a stake out Reese and Carter did where they passed the time talking about their lives. But things are not as they first appear.