TV,DVD,Streaming, 2022?

I've finished The English. It's a Western, despite its name, but a very unusual one. It's a character study of a noble English woman who is hunting down a man in the West of the US in 1890 (reasons for this would be spoilers) with the unexpected help of an Indian army guide. It is filled with contemplative scenes and scenes of raw horrific violence.

This series will haunt me. It is emotional, graphically stunning, and a slow burn.

Some of the various villains sometimes slid into the cartoonish for me, but that's my worst criticism. I can't imagine a thing like this on network television, but as a streamed option it is very good.

Strong 4 stars from me, if the graphic violence is acceptable.

I have just bought the B5 box set and will have a rewatch soon.

I've started to continue with the classic Doctor Who after stumbling across a blog called "A View From The Junkyard" and it adds something to watch a story and then read/comment on it. Makes it... sociable. I'm still on the B&W Patrick Troughton stories and have watched The Wheel In Space, The Dominators, The Mind Robber and The Invasion.

Currently on The Krotons.

I've been streaming Saving Grace a TV series from 2007-2010. And this is a show that adult in the best of ways. Holly Hunter has a tour de force performance. Her Grace is utterly believable. She's had a very horrific childhood, molested by a priest and raped a few years earlier. She has a devil of a time making relating to men. She is very sexually active, and there are a lot of R rated scenes because of this, but she cannot commit to a man. She's obviously emotionally very fragile and she is assigned an "last chance" angel "Earl" who looks less like what we would normally consider an angel than any portrayal I've ever seen. All of this wrapped around a very believable detective series. I'd like this show without the angel and theological reflections, but with them it's over the top for me.

BTW -- from my lights the theology isn't all that on target, but still very insightful.

Last edited:
I'm 3 episodes into Kindred, the SF classic by Octavia Butler. I've got to say that it's pretty gripping. I've not seen anything that highlights the difference between 19th century slavery and the twenty-first century treatment of Africans any better. But that's not say that the twenty-first century comes off very good, only better. A very fair representation in my opinion. There's a "Karen" character in the book that makes me so angry I've fast forwarded some of the places where she's talking.