So Bad Its Good, Science Fiction, Fantasy And Horror

Coneheads 1993. This film is gloriously bad , funny as hell and fun to watch and rewatch. :D

3rd Rock from the Sun was formed due to Coneheads. I really enjoyed 3rd Rock, but never seen Coneheads.

Less 'so bad it's good', more a case of 'so bad it's unbelievable'.

I think what's worst is that it took one of the best movies of all time and somehow managed to not only mess itself up, but also make most of what happened in the original movie irrelevant/wrong. The best thing with this movie is to pretend that it never happened at all.

As far as editing is concerned, the original Alien III was (for some reason) edited in a way to make it illogical and feel like a whole chunk had been removed from the movie (which it had). I can't understand how anyone could have passed this film for a cinema release it in the way that it was. Having watched the director's cut (ie the complete 'proper' movie that should have been released in the first place) it all makes sense, and is a really good film.
I went to the cinema to watch Highlander II. I’m still gobsmacked at how unbelievably bad it was. I never, ever want to see that movie again.

As for Alien 3, I’ve never seen the director’s cut but I always felt there was a decent movie in there trying to get out. At a guess, I’d say the cinema release edit was probably decided by beancounters. A shortening of movie running time might allow an extra showing in an evening, generating the extra revenue brought by another dose of bums on seats. A very short term view but that’s something that seems to go hand in hand with Hollywood.

I'd agree with Foxbat regarding Alien 3. Quite a decent movie there, but just missing that little something to make it a classic, IMO.

Having read up on it, the version I watched was apparently the 'Assembly Cut'. The fact that it has 37 extra minutes of footage tells you just how much was added back into the film. Although it was nice (but unnecessary) for an extended 'director's cut' of Aliens, the restored/edited and updated material in Alien 3 makes it a much, much better film.

I would definitely recommend anyone who hasn't seen to do so.

Spaced Invaders 1990 a ship full of really dumb aliens pick up Orson Wells 1938 War of The Worlds broadcast, they think its for real and decide to got to this planet earth and help their fellow aliens . Things very quickly go wrong for them, the broadcast they herd is already decked old and hey have no idea it was radio drama but thye show up in 1990 on Halloween , so the blend in get briefed by kids but the biggest problem thye got, it the have gotten got the brains to prove thye from another world. Godawful science fiction comedy film, but lots of fun to watch and hilariously funny. :D

Last time I watched it, I felt Halloween 3: Season of the Witch was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. That was long ago, however, and my tastes may have changed. Hobo With a Shotgun is borderline.

Last time I watched it, I felt Halloween 3: Season of the Witch was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. That was long ago, however, and my tastes may have changed. Hobo With a Shotgun is borderline.

Season of the Witch actually had an interesting premise. :)

Prefer the tv and radio series. The only good lines in the film were lifted straight from Adams' work.

I agree that once you've seen the tv series, heard the BBC radio show and/or read the books, the movie is somewhat lacking.

Not to say the film is bad, just a little disappointing.

Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Ha, blast from the past -the local cinema made a big deal of bringing in Jaws 3D but something must've fallen through so instead they played Space Hunter ...as kids we loved it, can't remember anything more than the whole thing being a bit bonkers; you've inspired me to give it another rattle;)

Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone...Hands down the best "bad" scifi film ever made. It was Moly Ringwald's 2nd film.
Ha, blast from the past -the local cinema made a big deal of bringing in Jaws 3D but something must've fallen through so instead they played Space Hunter ...as kids we loved it, can't remember anything more than the whole thing being a bit bonkers; you've inspired me to give it another rattle;)

I think Heavy Metal Magazine did an adaptation of it . :unsure:

I went to the cinema to watch Highlander II. I’m still gobsmacked at how unbelievably bad it was. I never, ever want to see that movie again.

As for Alien 3, I’ve never seen the director’s cut but I always felt there was a decent movie in there trying to get out. At a guess, I’d say the cinema release edit was probably decided by beancounters. A shortening of movie running time might allow an extra showing in an evening, generating the extra revenue brought by another dose of bums on seats. A very short term view but that’s something that seems to go hand in hand with Hollywood.
Danny Webb SHONE in that film as a Johnny Rotten impersonator

Back