November / December 100 Word Anonymous Challenge Discussion

Thanks for hosting @elvet. Is this a record number of entries for the 100?
You are welcome. :)
The past two challenges have had over 40 entries, this one has 38. There is a different trend this time. There are fewer participants submitting more stories. I hope everyone remembers to vote during this busy time. I'll be sending out the usual PMs to remind.

Voted for Rambler's Dissociation and Self Incrimination, nearly went for The Building Blocks of Empire (-0-) to balance out the more serious stuff as I got a laugh outta it. Also really liked A Drive Down Memory Lane and Change of State.
Plenty of variety there, thanks for the stories, and thanks @elvet for the behind the scenes work to keep this going, and @Victoria Silverwolf for the reviews. Fair play to ye

Three really stood out for me this month:

Rambler's Dissociation. The first paragraph made me think that perhaps Jessica was in some form of immediate peril (just like the sheep). I'm not sure if this was the intention of the author, but it felt like quite a chilling tale.

State Lines. Very funny, and very well written, and true in that we often have more in common with our neighbours than we think (or sometimes would want to!)

A Neckbeard's Struggle. What a bizarre little tale. Very well written and enjoyable to mull over the meaning (assuming there is one!)

State Lines and Neckbeard get my votes.

And thanks of course to Elvet for running the show and Victoria for providing the reviews.

My short list:
State of Mind and The Princess and the Farm Boy. I liked the change in state as a shift in perception.
Head of State and In Snake-people News, Today.. were clever, and made me smile.

Votes got to:
Occluded Front for a techy interpretation of state.
Intestate on the interstate for the title and the sense of release.

I voted for:
Self Incrimination for its interesting twist that delivered just deserts.
HEAD OF STATE because of its unflappably optimistic (and punning) protagonist.

There were four or five I could genuinely have voted for.
Honorable Mentions / shortlists were:
  • Moonwalkers
  • A Drive Down memory lane
  • Tierra Non Boncatus
  • In Snake-people News, Today...
  • Rise of the Machines
  • Lying in Wait State
  • The Building Blocks of Empire (-0-)
  • Crab Walk
  • Community Service
  • Head of State
  • Intestate on the interstate
My votes went to these two.
  • Occluded Front
  • A Neckbeard’s Struggle
There was just something about their quirky absurdism that struck a chord with me.

Near Misses
A Drive down Memory Lane
Self Incrimination
Lying in Wait State

Winners
State Lines As far back as 1964 the lawyer takeover situation was causing concern. It hasn't improved. Are There Too Many Lawyers in Congress? (Published 1964)
State of Mind I got to thinking of the converse. You can live in any of the biggest free lands on earth, 3000 miles across and find that overnight they can be flipped into prisons.

My top two that I voted for were:
State of Mind
The Building Blocks of Empire (-0-)

Tied for third place were:
HEAD OF STATE
Matters of State
The Princess and the Farm Boy
Altered States

Top 3:

** Tierra Non Boncatus - absurd similarities abound **

In Snake-people News, Today... - ssssssssss

** A Neckbeard’s Struggle - even omnipotence has its drawbacks **

Well folks, we have a three way tie.
Occluded Front
Self Incrimination
A Neckbeard's Struggle
The last time that happened in Nov 2019, the winner was chosen based on how many extra mentions they got in short lists (there were a lot fewer entries back then). Using this criteria, the winner would be Self Incrimination.
I'm ok with that, or I'm happy to set another poll as is done with the 75 word challenge. Personally, I think the second poll is a nicer way to determine the winner, but it will mean drawing this challenge out closer to the holidays.
What say you?

Last edited:
Shame it's anonymous, or we could've had a nine word rematch;)
-at tie breaker poll seems fair.