Russell T. Davies returns as showrunner...

Yes, it was Michael Grade. I very much disliked Colin Baker's Doctor (in fact it appeared to be an intentionally dislikeable/disruptive character) but McCoy got a really rough deal. His Doctor (and Ace) could have been a return to the very best of Baker/Pertwee, but the budgets and storylines - but perhaps most importantly the will to succeed - wasn't there any more.

It was obvious that the BBC wanted to kill off Who when it was moved from its traditional slot on a Saturday to a weekday slot against Coronation street. In a time of one tv families if mum wanted to watch Corrie and the kids wanted to watch Dr Who guess which series lost viewers?

It was obvious that the BBC wanted to kill off Who when it was moved from its traditional slot on a Saturday to a weekday slot against Coronation street. In a time of one tv families if mum wanted to watch Corrie and the kids wanted to watch Dr Who guess which series lost viewers?

And it was the death of science fiction drama on the Beeb for many years to come. Which was a shame, because it had always been known for great sci-fi in the previous 2 decades.

Marvin, aye, the Green Death and Global Chemicals spring to mind.

I see nothing wrong with incorporating modern values into tv series
That depends on what you define as modern values though doesn't it? Surely a nationally-funded organisation shouldn't be representing the views of a minority of the public, based on a majority of those who work there.

I agree that (especially in today's age) the more escapism from real-world events, the better. I suppose though the main driving force behind what the Beeb and Who writers decide will be the audience figures.
Absolutely. I just read a book series - from an author I've read close to 20 books from - which takes his politics and literally slaps you in the face with them at every opportunity. True, I dislike various aspects of those, but at the same time, I don't read authors I know I agree with because they put too much politics into their FICTION as well. I'd rather consume entertainment free from bias.

Dr Who is trending on Twitter today after the Metro newspaper and ABC say Hugh Grant is in talks to be the next Doctor and also that it will become 'like' a "Marvel Franchise" and tell stories about many characters from the series (with more money spent and more locations due to it being the 60th year.)

I'm not sure that the amount of money spent or the lack of variety of locations has been the problem with the series. Not sure about Hugh Grant. Not sure that I want anymore Torchwood, Sarah Jane Smith or Master 'only' stories either.

I'd settle for better scripts.
The franchise idea makes sense to the BBC. Dr Who is one of the few international recognised brands they have.
In the world of streaming and with streaming money behind it I can see the BBC wanting to make as much out of it as they can.
The trouble is Dr Who is that, the doctor aside, all the best characters are Baddies.
Hugh Grant is a big enough name and he can act and he has already played the Dr [in a Comic Relief skit].
Not sure he would be my first choice.
If they bring back Torchwood I want Captain John Hart as well as Jack Harkness.

Dr Who is trending on Twitter today after the Metro newspaper and ABC say Hugh Grant is in talks to be the next Doctor and also that it will become 'like' a "Marvel Franchise" and tell stories about many characters from the series (with more money spent and more locations due to it being the 60th year.)

Oh I won't be watching it if he's the Doctor

It would have been interesting to see what the 1970s U.N.I.T. got up to without the Doctor.

This very much sounds like they want to appeal to the US market; just surprised Hugh Laurie isn't also in the frame. Although I think that Stephen Fry would have made an interesting alternative. My favourite would have been Eddie Izzard who is funny enough, a good enough actor, and has the ability to pull off that 'otherworldliness' that made Tom Baker such a good choice.

I agree that they need is better scripts, so what they really need is different scriptwriters. Who are the Douglas Adams, Terry Nations and Terrance Dicks of this world nowadays?

Jed Mercurio, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, Ben Elton, Peter Kay, Richard Curtis, Matt Berry, Russell Howard, Griff Rhys Jones - they're all still alive (I think?), as is Russell T Davies himself.

It would have been interesting to see what the 1970s U.N.I.T. got up to without the Doctor.
I like that idea, but what would be really good would be an "origin" story back at Coal Hill School concerning the period between the Doctor's arrival on Earth and the start of the series. We really don't know much about Susan. And get Ben Aaronovitch as a scriptwriter again.

In a recent Tweet, Hugh Grant has "No idea where the story came from." Sorry about posting that!

Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror and The Guardian are still reporting this:

Don't journalists check stories anymore? Can't they phone someone and ask?

Who are the Douglas Adams, Terry Nations and Terrance Dicks of this world nowadays?

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith. Their work on inside No.9 is fantastic and well suited to small budgets and character work. They also have an excellent feel for quintessentially British drama and genre work. They'd write great Who scripts.

Charlie Brooker was a good ideas man - would love to see him tackle Who.

Warren Ellis

Kim Stanley Robinson

Alan Moore

J Michael Straczynski

Dan Harmon so long as he can be restrained from deconstructing / being meta.

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith. Their work on inside No.9 is fantastic and well suited to small budgets and character work. They also have an excellent feel for quintessentially British drama and genre work. They'd write great Who scripts.

Warren Ellis

Kim Stanley Robinson

Alan Moore

J Michael Straczynski

Inside number 9 is brilliant

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith.
Another member of The League of Gentlemen, Mark Gatiss, has already contributed to Dr Who

Jed Mercurio, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, Ben Elton, Peter Kay, Richard Curtis, Matt Berry, Russell Howard, Griff Rhys Jones - they're all still alive (I think?), as is Russell T Davies himself.

I like that idea, but what would be really good would be an "origin" story back at Coal Hill School concerning the period between the Doctor's arrival on Earth and the start of the series. We really don't know much about Susan. And get Ben Aaronovitch as a scriptwriter again.

Matt Berry as Doctor Who would be an interesting choice.

Warren Ellis

Kim Stanley Robinson

Alan Moore

J Michael Straczynski

Charlie Brooker would be great, as would Steve and Reece. Also Doug Naylor and Rob Grant of Red Dwarf fame.

In fact how about a Dwarfer as the Doctor? I do think though that they will go with an actor 'known' to the US audience. As a complete outsider, how about Daniel Craig for the role?