Russell T. Davies returns as showrunner...

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
Yes, it was Michael Grade. I very much disliked Colin Baker's Doctor (in fact it appeared to be an intentionally dislikeable/disruptive character) but McCoy got a really rough deal. His Doctor (and Ace) could have been a return to the very best of Baker/Pertwee, but the budgets and storylines - but perhaps most importantly the will to succeed - wasn't there any more.

Vladd67

Stake Holder
It was obvious that the BBC wanted to kill off Who when it was moved from its traditional slot on a Saturday to a weekday slot against Coronation street. In a time of one tv families if mum wanted to watch Corrie and the kids wanted to watch Dr Who guess which series lost viewers?

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
It was obvious that the BBC wanted to kill off Who when it was moved from its traditional slot on a Saturday to a weekday slot against Coronation street. In a time of one tv families if mum wanted to watch Corrie and the kids wanted to watch Dr Who guess which series lost viewers?

And it was the death of science fiction drama on the Beeb for many years to come. Which was a shame, because it had always been known for great sci-fi in the previous 2 decades.

thaddeus6th

Supporter
Marvin, aye, the Green Death and Global Chemicals spring to mind.

.matthew.

I see nothing wrong with incorporating modern values into tv series
That depends on what you define as modern values though doesn't it? Surely a nationally-funded organisation shouldn't be representing the views of a minority of the public, based on a majority of those who work there.

I agree that (especially in today's age) the more escapism from real-world events, the better. I suppose though the main driving force behind what the Beeb and Who writers decide will be the audience figures.
Absolutely. I just read a book series - from an author I've read close to 20 books from - which takes his politics and literally slaps you in the face with them at every opportunity. True, I dislike various aspects of those, but at the same time, I don't read authors I know I agree with because they put too much politics into their FICTION as well. I'd rather consume entertainment free from bias.