Central American Channel

TomMazanec

Long short story or short novelette. 1930s.
Central America joins Atlantis "way down under the ocean". Gulf stream flows to Asia. Europe get colder. Second Great War brewing between North Europe and South Europe. America builds dam across channel, stops war from starting and becomes world hegemon because it can blow up the dam and start new Ice Age at any time.

Interesting... there was a serious plan back in the 50s 60s to create a sea-level Panama Canal. Several proposed routes, not following the existing canal. Usually, it was built by exploding atomic bombs deep underground, which usually create surface craters. Many discussions about mixing of Atlantic and Pacific species. Little discussion that I read about ocean currents.

I don't know if there have been any studies about mixing of A&P species through the existing canal(s)-- but there's fresh water in part of the canal, so that might slow things down.

Interesting... there was a serious plan back in the 50s 60s to create a sea-level Panama Canal. Several proposed routes, not following the existing canal. Usually, it was built by exploding atomic bombs deep underground, which usually create surface craters. Many discussions about mixing of Atlantic and Pacific species. Little discussion that I read about ocean currents.

I don't know if there have been any studies about mixing of A&P species through the existing canal(s)-- but there's fresh water in part of the canal, so that might slow things down.
Yes there have. Similar studies of species mixing between Mediterranean and Red seas either way through through the Suez canal (Lessepsian and anti-Lessepsian migration)