Your favourite game characters?

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Giving up the alcohol has really given me a lot more time, so I've been playing a fair bit of games this year. I've got to say that I've been enjoying myself immensely.

I think gaming is getting a lot of kudos for some great, immersive story experiences that we just aren't getting at the cinema, so, In a similar vein to Baylor's "best characters in cinema" thread, i thought i'd ask who you consider to be the best characters in gaming.

Personally, my favourite game has to be the Half Life series (a VR capable machine will be my next PC one, my current one has been played out). I have to confess that i never saw Freeman as a great character, though. Perhaps the first person perspective means that i am Freeman and therefore i don't seen him as anyone other than me.

Early in my gaming experience is Kyle Katarn from the Jedi Knight series of games was a great character for me. I enjoyed playing a Jedi, but there was a sense that Kyle was always on the edge of getting revenge, which made him a more interesting personality than Luke. I hope that Lucasfilm Games returns to him now that Disney have taken over.

Gordon Freeman is a bit of a blank slate, probably deliberately. I always liked Garrett, the hero and narrator of the Thief games, who was basically a noir private eye. Joel of The Last of Us is quite well-rounded. I played so much of Left 4 Dead 1 that I ended up liking the four characters, who have some good dialogue.

I tend to find that it's the companions in role-playing games that I remember. I particularly liked the red robot in Knights of the Old Republic, the people in Dragon Age 2 (especially Merrin the Welsh elf), and Nick Valentine and Piper in Fallout 4.

Sander Cohen of Bioshock - basically a cross between Salvador Dali and the Joker - was a good villain. Farcry 3 had a notably unpleasant villain named Buck, IIRC.

Special mention must go to the alien scientist in Mass Effect 2, who sings Gilbert and Sullivan, and the narrator of Strange Brigade, who sounds how I imagine Space Captain Smith to sound.

I have Left 4 Dead and Bioshock in my Steam Library and intend to play them at some stage and I hope that Last of Us gets a port to PC as i have read much about the game and it has all been positive.

HareBrain, what games are your's from? Final Fantasy?

I like Artyom from Metro 2033. There was a real feeling of hopelessness in that game.

2-B, Mai Shiranui, Chun-Li, Cammy!

I like it for the plot.

I have Left 4 Dead and Bioshock in my Steam Library and intend to play them at some stage and I hope that Last of Us gets a port to PC as i have read much about the game and it has all been positive.

HareBrain, what games are your's from? Final Fantasy?

I like Artyom from Metro 2033. There was a real feeling of hopelessness in that game.
I think that you'll probably won't like any characters from Left 4 Dead and Bioshock because, uh, the protagonists are barely characters at all. In Bioshock, they don't speak nor have a face nor any personality until the third installment, and in Left 4 Dead they're not characters, they're just "skins" for you to play online.

And yes, HareBrain's characters are from FFVII.

Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series - beautifully acted opponents who, in time, realize thay need eachother more than anyone to survive.

Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid - returning to Shadow Moses is a joy mostly due to his gritty sense of humour and occasional insights in the nature of warfare.

Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil - seeing him evolve from a terrified, first-dand-last day cop to a wacky, one liner spitting action hero from RE2 to RE4 is wonderful.

Kane from Command and Conquer - one of the best if not the best villains in video game history with his trademark mix of terrorist leader, genius scientist and religious messiah with Abrahamic undertones.

Karan S'Jet from Homeworld - her sacrifice to lead the Kushan expedition into the dark void and calm voice between battles really sets the tone for both games that starr her.

I think that you'll probably won't like any characters from Left 4 Dead and Bioshock because, uh, the protagonists are barely characters at all. In Bioshock, they don't speak nor have a face nor any personality until the third installment, and in Left 4 Dead they're not characters, they're just "skins" for you to play online.

The first two Bioshock protagonists don't speak, but the antagonists do, and both Cohen and Ryan are good villains. Elizabeth and Booker from Bioshock Infinite are also good. The people in Left 4 Dead do have separate characters, and while stereotypes (student, veteran, biker and office worker) their banter is quite entertaining. The team members from the second and third Shadowrun games are well done, too.

The first two Bioshock protagonists don't speak, but the antagonists do, and both Cohen and Ryan are good villains. Elizabeth and Booker from Bioshock Infinite are also good. The people in Left 4 Dead do have separate characters, and while stereotypes (student, veteran, biker and office worker) their banter is quite entertaining. The team members from the second and third Shadowrun games are well done, too.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall has one of my favorite NPCs in cyberpunk history, and that's Dietrich, a literal punk in a genre that in recent years, especially due to Deus Ex series, is ridden with cops rather than lowlifes.

Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series - beautifully acted opponents who, in time, realize thay need eachother more than anyone to survive.

Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid - returning to Shadow Moses is a joy mostly due to his gritty sense of humour and occasional insights in the nature of warfare.

Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil - seeing him evolve from a terrified, first-dand-last day cop to a wacky, one liner spitting action hero from RE2 to RE4 is wonderful.

Kane from Command and Conquer - one of the best if not the best villains in video game history with his trademark mix of terrorist leader, genius scientist and religious messiah with Abrahamic undertones.

Karan S'Jet from Homeworld - her sacrifice to lead the Kushan expedition into the dark void and calm voice between battles really sets the tone for both games that starr her.
Wow completely forgot Kane from Command and Conquer, that one rolled back from memories. Great shout.

Characters I’ve really enjoyed across the years would be Cloud Strife and Tifa who’s second name eludes me; both from Final Fantasy VII.
Max Payne was a wickedly violent anti-hero who I could not help but enjoy to play as.
Then on a lighter note always loved a comical or witty character so have to mention Earth Worm Jim and Trevor Phillips from GTAV.
Then lastly I was besotted with the enigmatic Mewtwo from Pokemon, no dialogue or much else for that matter but that fact only intrigued be further as a teen.

In that case I want to add Ulala!!
Ulala falls short of my radar, the nostalgia is all yours

That was her second name. Her first name was Ann. It's why she decided to fight Shinra.

I never played the game but I enjoyed the cartoon. I have a hankering to watch it again now.

Ahhh yes the cartoon was equally as good! If this thread was about cartoons it would still make my list alongside SuperTed and Biker Mice from Mars :giggle:

Sephiroth, obviously, but HB got there first.

Pyramid Head from Silent Hill.

Blackwall from Dragon Age (specifically Inquisition).

What a game that was! Genuinely witty. And, on the same sort of line...

Toejam and Earl.

hahaha! The alien rappers!? Never played it but my close friend was obsessed.