Super-intelligence children (Nazi experimentation) buy salt caves from the BLM in western US and I think attempt to render nuclear weapons useless.

hari_seldon

Hi all,

I remember really enjoying reading this book a few years ago (would have been summer of 2017, but I don't know when it was published - I would guess 21st Century but only 70% sure on it), but because I only remember a few of the plot points, I'm having real difficulty finding anything useful through Google searches. Any help, and I'd love you forever.
  • A group of super-intelligent kids are being experimented on by the Nazis until at the end of the war the Soviets (I think) liberate the prison they were held in and they escape.
  • I think initially they were taken into Soviet care, but I know the bulk of the story is set in the US.
  • I really strong memory of the plot I have is that an adult (not sure if this is an adopted parent of the group, or the children are now grown up) goes to buy some remote land in the west of the US from the Bureau of Land Management. I know such a weird detail to remember.
  • This land includes a set of enormous salt caverns.
  • One of the group (unsure of their ages at this stage, if I had to guess at this stage they are adolescents, and the adult who buy's the land is some sort of adopted parent) invents a device to transmute elements (I think there is a scene where they demonstrate it by turning various things into gold).
  • They live and work in these enormous converted salt caverns, hidden from view.
  • At some point one of the group leaves and becomes very rich making weapons for the US military
    • I am 70% confident that this person is not one of the original experimented-upon kids, but a sort of half-outsider child. This is way I am leaning towards the children having an adopted parent(s), and the kid that leaves is the "natural" child of the parents.
  • I think the goal of the group becomes to render nuclear weapons useless.
  • The member of the group that left attempts (along with US Army) to invade the salt caverns, but they are fended off by super-agile combat capable robots.
  • I cant remember the ending - don't know which side was successful.
    • However, I think there is a scene where the group meets a man late at night on the bed of a dried-up salt lake (this might have been their adopted father I don't know), so if I had to guess I would say that the group was able to escape into hiding, and the final scene of the book is them saying a final goodbye to their adopted father? who has moved on with their life.
      • Thinking about this again, this may have been the beginning of the book as an in medias res scene.
I know I haven't been able to provide much of a clear set of details (I don't know the author or publisher, and I read it on the Kindle app so don't know the book cover), but I hope someone might be able to piece together these disparate plot/character details and recognize the book.

HUGE THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WHO DOES!!

EDIT: It is a full novel and I read it in English.

EDIT: Couple more details. The theme definitely isn't post-apocalyptic or dystopian, and I think it is set in a contemporary time (as in only the protagonists have super-advanced technology, the rest of society is 00s/10s)

Last edited:
One small, additional, VERY tentative detail - it MAY have been a novel available for free on the android Kindle app at the time (summer 2017). Not sure if that's a help at all, but I've been wracking my brain for stuff for hours on this and it seemed more helpful than "I read it in Marseilles" :)

I'm glad you explained that, I was looking at your thread title and going
"what the ...? I didn't know Black Lives Matter owned salt caves"
Har! I have the opposite problem. As a lifelong outdoorsy type, exploring publicly held wild-lands; I'm find myself wondering why everyone is so upset with the Bureau of Land Management.

Sorry, hari, your story doesn't ring any bells.

Well, there are only 17,576 possible three letter combinations. This is becoming a problem for the ISO language code system, which gives a three letter abbreviation for all languages and conlangs. Some of them are getting rather far fetched.

Not only language codes, but TLAs from one area of expertise overlap others-- Using 'your' TLAs sometimes get strange looks and questions from others!

TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Har! I have the opposite problem. As a lifelong outdoorsy type, exploring publicly held wild-lands; I'm find myself wondering why everyone is so upset with the Bureau of Land Management.
I know what you mean. At first glance, my mind associated the BLM horsey on cover of National Geographic:
s-l300.jpg

with the Bundy Ranch standoff:
bundy_ranch_stand_off_april_12_2014_by_pm_beers.jpgn6ntjb.jpg

Ah, yes. The ugly dichotomy of the Bureau of Land management.

On the one hand, responsible for managing industrial resource extraction rights and leases on publicly owned lands: Timber, grazing, mining, water use.

On the other hand, ensuring that private citizens have recreational access: camping, hiking, hunting, woodcutting...

On the one hand, responsible for managing industrial resource extraction rights and leases on publicly owned lands: Timber, grazing, mining, water use.

On the other hand, ensuring that private citizens have recreational access: camping, hiking, hunting, woodcutting...
The obvious answer: lumberjacking and mining vacations.

Back