Write Like Gemmell

G.T.

The Tain
Gemmell is my hero. It was his books that really spoke to me, still speak to me every time I read them. It is his books that I want anything I write to be like. I'm working on a trilogy currently but it is nowhere near done. I've written the three books, 300k+ words but it needs a lot of polishing. Not good enough in my opinion.

However, every time I open one of his books to analyse the structure, I get so caught up in the story that I totally forget what I'm supposed to be doing.

I am both happy and disappointed when this happens.

Anybody else want to write like Gemmell?

Is there any particular way you want to write like Gemmell?

I have to say, much as I love him, I don't particularly want to write like him. What I would love to be able to do as well as him though is capture emotions, and present such a compelling morality tale. And I guess the way he just sucks me into a story.

The essence of Gemmel, for me, is in the way he build up a flawed hero.

You're writing a story within a story, pretty much. The linear journey of the hero from a to b is just a plot device for the non-linear development of another character from 'orrible ******* to saviour.

I think the screenplay of Rocketman would be a good thing to look at in relation. The use of one story to tell another.