Recommend a Brazilian movie?

The one I know and can recommend is City Of God, an epic movie of one young man growing up in the roughest parts of Rio. It's not sci-fi or anything and can be quite violent but it's very well made. Got a lot of global recognition at the time. Used a lot of locals as actors.

Another one for nitty gritty realism that I remember being beautiful is Central Station (Central do Brasil).

One I've heard is good though I haven't watched it yet is Bacurau; it's sort of a contemporary Western/siege thriller where a small town in rural Brazil comes under attack. It's more recent — 2019 — and won an award at Cannes.

If you want older classics, anything by Glauber Rocha, who is probably Brazil's most famous filmmaker.

Bacurau is my favourite Brazilian film. DON'T watch the trailer or read anything about it if you haven't already (sorry, @Juliana!). The film is slow to get going but with strange and intriguing occurrences until it takes an unexpected turn and you figure out what's going on. The trailer ruins that. Bacurau kept popping into my thoughts for weeks later.

The Way He Looks (Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho) is another favourite.

I also enjoyed Central Station and City of God.

City of God(2002) is an epic, also the only Brazilian movie I've watched. It has a freak sense of non-linear narration, cinematography, and screenplay. One can get to know of it all with the opening rooster chase scene. Must watch!

Last edited:
Oops! Sorry... :(
Ah - please don't be sorry. I didn't mean to seem critical of you posting the trailer, so I'm sorry myself. :) How would anyone know if they haven't seen the film? I prefer to go into films blind, and Bacurau was one of those where that definitely paid off.

Another film I liked is Uruguayan but set on the Brazilian border, The Pope's Toilet.