(Found) World of midgets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMazanec

c1970.
Novelette or novella. Set c2020.
To deal with overpopulation the human race was engineered to be dwarfs or midgets. Story featured generation gap between “shorts” and “normals”.

These are longshots:

(1) Brian Aldiss "Non-Stop" (1958) is set on a generation ship in which over time the inhabitants reduce in size: when they encounter humans eventually, they see them as giants.

(2) Brian Aldiss "Total Environment" (1968): a sealed off social experiment that has lasted twenty five years, and now involves 25,000 people living in it. Successive generations have aged quickly, shrunk in size, and developed some unusual practices and abilities. Story is set @year 2000.
There's a summary here if you scroll down:

Last edited:
Got Bloch's one on my Kindle.
I'll let you know if that is it.
The story occurred in an "open" Earth, not a generation ship or closed colony.

Robert Bloch....This crowded Earth.
Humans are bred to be 3 foot midgets.
Eventually there's a war between the Normals and the 'Yardsticks'
Thank you for this lead.
I had to do the starry-eyed love icon because although I have (fully intentional) never watched "Psycho", I can not rave enough about the superb science fiction short stories of Robert Bloch.

While we do not yet know whether it answers the original question, it is a new one - or long-forgotten one - to me, and Robert Bloch's stories are so very worthy of mention, esteem, and a touch of awe.

Back on the theme rather than the illustrious author, Cyril Kornbluth wrote several stories about this crowded earth. I would have thought a story with that title was his.
Except, of course, instead of making them smaller, he got rid of them.

My memory is hazy, but now that I finished reading it I think that is it.
Anyway, I will call it found.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.