November 2020 Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a few things on the go at once, so it took a while for me to finish The Shrinking Man, by Richard Matheson. It is of course, a SF classic, so it's not surprising that I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty good. It's as much a nice metaphor for losing control and dignity from disease and the effects on personal relationships of catastrophe, as it is a simple SF adventure romp. It is quite exciting however, and it's an engaging and fast read. Matheson writes well and is good with his characterisation. Told from the perspective of the shrinking man Scott Carey, in close third person, it shuttles back and forth between two time periods: (i) from when he first notices his height diminishing to when he gets stuck in the cellar (roughly from 6 feet until he's under 1 foot), and (ii) his times in the cellar as a very small figure (under one inch). This way of jumping back and forth in time, each time period progressing and showing the effect of his shrinking is very effective. He spends a lot of his time in the cellar waging a long-drawn out war with a black-widow spider. From a scientific perspective, it's all rather silly of course, with the cause of the shrinking stemming from a sudden dose of 'handwavium', and many simple physical effects at a minute level are ignored (such as surface tension). But the positives are strong, and one doesn't read books like these in expectation they will 100% concur with physics text books. That said, the very end, in the sense of what happens to Scott when he reaches zero inches, didn't especially work for me. A solid recommendation, overall, however.

I’ll be interested in your thoughts on that one, tobl. I loved the first one, but lightening doesn’t necessarily strike twice.

I've just got my hands on the Left Handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix (from the library) and thoroughly enjoying all the details of the world building and characters.

I’ll be interested in your thoughts on that one, tobl. I loved the first one, but lightening doesn’t necessarily strike twice.
yes is out but i'm in a conundrum now... i beguin with michael chatfield emerilia series and i'm quite enjoying it... so,not really sure when i'm going to get to it.... unless i try reading it in epub but i wanted to dedicate some time to really see in there's another lightining

well... he did write ARMADA.... which was good... i mean it wasn't brilliant like player one but it wasn't bad like some people said. i think that people got bad habitts lol they got a brilliant book like Player One and expected the same brilliance in every work. i think that's irreallistic but...

also there's Forged by benedict jacka
I'm going to read that at some point, but mostly because I've read the rest already. I think he's dragged the main arc for too long now so I'm getting fed up with them :)

Currently I'm breaking my slump with record of a spaceborn few by Becky Chambers. There's no drama or action but it's nice.

well... he did write ARMADA.... which was good... i mean it wasn't brilliant like player one but it wasn't bad like some people said. i think that people got bad habitts lol they got a brilliant book like Player One and expected the same brilliance in every work. i think that's irreallistic but...
"Armada" gets better with subsequent reads. I think the biggest problem is that everyone expected it to be a similar story type to "Ready Player One" and it was quite different.

I'm near the end of the second if the Brandon Sanderson mistborn books. When I've finished, I've been saving the third of robin hobb's liveship books which I'm pretty excited about. And I'd like to try Octavia butler's Wild Seed after the strong recommendation on one of Scott cards how to write books...

"Armada" gets better with subsequent reads. I think the biggest problem is that everyone expected it to be a similar story type to "Ready Player One" and it was quite different.
well.... actually i didn't think they were so different... oh sure the narrative wastotally diferent but not the soul... they are both stories of growing up... if you want something really different think the martian and artemis by andy weir. and i truly dislike artemis

Finished The Middle of Nowhere (April Series Book 3) by Mackey Chandler --- The series is staying pretty consistent with interesting science, likable characters, and pretty good plots. It still has a lot of pretty sketchy libertarian philosophy. In book 3 there was less emphasis on the economic sides of that, and more on the law and order side. To my way of thinking that's even less desirable than economic libertarianism. The major way order is maintained in the habitat is by vote of the community. Any punishment from fines, to banishment, to execution is possible. On a personal level there is the option of a duel. ---- (of course all the best "gun slingers" are people of wonderful moral convictions. Which I am sure is very true to life. :rolleyes: ) ---- The change in this book is that more emphasis is given to April's maturity. I'm beginning book 4 A Different Perspective and I wouldn't be surprised to find that we are going to have some conversations about libertarian sexual expression. I'll let you know.

Between book 3 and 4, I also started and finished Valor's Child (Children of Valor Book 1) by Kal Spriggs. This was a very good far future coming of age book as a military recruit in the far future. (Humans are found on a multitude of planets with not a lot of common government.) This book was written with the focus on Jiden Armstrong, a young girl of 17. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I've queued up book 2 Valor's Calling which I believe will by more what I would traditionally call military S.F. ---- Kal Spriggs writes with insights not permitted to most of us. He is a graduate of the United States Merchant Marine Academy with an engineering degree and served in the U.S. Army after graduation. He has been deployed to both Afghanistan and Iraq. He also has a Master's Degree in Environmental engineering.

This one is highly recommended.

Are you listening @Danny McG ?

Having watched all of the original series, the brief revival series, and the three feature films based on the series, I am about to read about half a dozen nonfiction books about Dark Shadows in its various incarnations.

Finished Michel Faber's The Book of Strange New Things. I generally enjoy books that challenge me intellectually which is what I expected this one to do but at no time did I enjoy it and was, consequently, totally disinterested in rising to any challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back