kicked off of FB within five minutes of setting up the account

CTRandall

I have my very own plant pot!
Supporter
I tried setting up a FB account this evening but my account was disabled within five minutes. I had barely loaded a profile picture before I got shut down. I haven't been disabled by them before. I had an account years ago but only had it for a couple of months before closing it myself (I got tired of constant notices about what friends were having for dinner).

I'll see if I can get it reinstated but does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

Me neither. Matter of fact, they've done absolutely nothing to earn my trust.

I have an account; however I use it so infrequently that any recent post I have tried gets flagged and thrown into the lockup until I come back and identify myself and say it's okay.

:cautious: I now use it even less frequently.

Ive never bothered with Facebook. I have no interest in it.

Had an account for years, never posted - just used it to check on companies that primarily communicated through them.
Then they wanted a photo and telephone number. I uploaded a photo of my dog and a fake #. A year later they insisted on the same and I tried again and they locked my account. No real loss.

I’m never off it :D
It makes perfect sense for entrepreneurs, such as CTRandall and you, to use social media to grow your business. On the other hand, it's unwise to use social media to speak truth to power.

One more thing, you must view all social media companies as potential competitors. It's best to keep proprietary business information off of social media.

Last edited:
I've been on it for a few years mainly for a couple of local groups. I've never uploaded a photo and they've not shut my account. They do send me regular emails about uploading my photo so my friends can identify me. They also keep on and on suggesting friends to me. I know very, very few of the people they suggest and some have profiles written in languages I don't speak. Gah.

Hi CT...

I’m not surprised. Automated systems so often end up garbage in/garbage out. Irrespective of the threat of identity and or data theft I can’t see how people can use fb anymore. The risk is just too much.

Socially I believe there also needs to be legal changes implemented re security and data transparency. On top of that there’s the immoral underbelly which we can’t talk about here because of the politics thing but it’s another reason why I’m off.

I quit 2 or 3 years ago. Don’t even miss it.

I had an account for several years but about a month and a half before the 2018 election I was banned for "synthetic sharing". A lot of people are in denial about the problem. If their own Niemoller moment ever comes I'll have no sympathy.

I don't get this.

I've had an account for years but they've never asked for a photo ID.

Given their "record" on security and such things I'm surprised they bother with such nonsense.

Are you sure you're on the right URL

I did upload a picture, which was the same avatar as I use on this site. Are you sure it's photo ID they want and not just a pretty picture?

How the hell could they verify it - against what, by who, when?

Next they'll be wanting your credit card details.

If they asked me, I'd send a photo of a box of cornflakes. It probably ticks the box. I mean if you complain about a dodgy advert they rarely do anything, always assuming you find a way to complain.

I tried setting up a FB account this evening but my account was disabled within five minutes.
They may not like the IP address that you are trying to do this from. Is the IP provider well known and reputable? Are you accessing it at home? If so, do you share a flat with others, or do you have teenagers who do who-knows-what in their bedrooms? Are you at an internet café, university or public library? There could have been some dodgy people who previously signed up from those locations.

If you are signing up as a business, put your own date of birth in. Don't put in the age of the business otherwise it will think you are a child.

After going over their guidelines, I suspect it was my birthdate that set them off. I regularly make up different birthdays for various online things (gmail, etc.) and the birthdate I put in for FaceBook didn't match the birthdate on the gmail account I was using. I've got so many random birthdays scattered across the internet, it may be impossible for me to get a FB account. Ah well, no big loss.