Red Rising

Infinitiesend

I just finished The Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown and I thought I'd post a recommendation for it. It's a great story that kind of blends Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games and the shoots it out into space. The characters are unique and well developed and the plot is fantastic! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new Sci-Fi series.

I tried to read the first book, while well written, the whole faction thing has been done before especially the oppressive nature of certain factions. Why do YA books always have factions in them? The Divergent series has it, Hunger Games has it.

I read the first two books - the first one was interesting, but by the end of the second one I was finding it a little too grim to continue. Also, like a lot of YA novels, it suffers from a lack of depth in the world building, and I just didn't find some of what happened believable. Certainly the series is a bestseller so the overall opinion appears favorable. :)

I read Red Rising a while back and can't remember if it was that or the sequel made me think "Braveheart" meets xxx - and I can't remember what the xxx was. I hadn't realised it was supposed to be YA. Boy has YA got grim and violent. Just because the protaganists are teenage doesn't mean it's right for teenagers - bit like saying Lord of the Flies is suitable for pre-teens. I gave up on probably the second book - and I only read them from the library, didn't buy.
I think some of the popularity is it is like a highly coloured Holywood movie, everything a bit larger than life with large, obvious dramatics. I wouldn't call the characters well developed. They were all a bit one note to me - it's all about the game.
I did note the author is I think a psychologist and the books smacked to me of having been based on a lot of theory of group interaction - only interacted with group psychology a little, in context of work training courses, and the odd documentary on why genocide/civil war happens but it just had a "feel" of that to me.

I tried to read the first book, while well written, the whole faction thing has been done before especially the oppressive nature of certain factions. Why do YA books always have factions in them? The Divergent series has it, Hunger Games has it.

I'm guessing it reflects the cliques that tend to form at that age, and the tendency of adolescence to put people into boxes. Everyone yearns to be part of a "club" of like-minded peers. I remember how important someone's taste in music seemed to me at that age...

I read the first book and like it well enough but the MC was maybe one of the bigger Gary Stu's I ever read. The best at everything, effortlessly slips into the "upper" classes because he's so brilliant, but so morally firm nobody could tempt him, and of course it all ends with this mighty manly man single-handedly pwning the gods to rescue the hot girl.

I'm guessing it reflects the cliques that tend to form at that age, and the tendency of adolescence to put people into boxes. Everyone yearns to be part of a "club" of like-minded peers. I remember how important someone's taste in music seemed to me at that age...

There's strength in numbers for the like minded. On the other hand, finding someone with a mind like mine was always a challenge. :notworthy:

Yes, back there in school it seemed like there was one, and only one, universal list of supposedly superlative art, be it: music, novels, movies, TV shows, paintings, poems, and all the rest. After you reach adulthood you understand there's your list and everyone else's list. And your list is superlative for you, regardless of how everyone else feels about it.