The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper -- Radio Production

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
I know this is a much-loved novel by some Chronners -- though not by Danny! -- so in case it hasn't been talked about already (I did a quick search and couldn't find it) I thought members might be interested to know that the BBC World Service is broadcasting a new production of The Dark is Rising with stars including Toby Jones and Harriet Walter. Apparently it's a binaural recording (whatever that is) so it's recommended one listens to it on headphones to get the best effect.

It's being presented in 12 daily episodes, and I think started on Monday, but it's also available on BBC Sounds and there are omnibus editions on Radio 4 from Boxing Day (that's 26 December for non-Brits) with 4 episodes over consecutive days starting at 2.15pm each day according to the Radio Times.

And here is a link: BBC World Service - The Dark Is Rising

It's not a book I've ever read, so I might well give this a try after Christmas.

Cool, I hadn't heard about this.
Absolutely classic Christmas story. Pretty sure it has been mentioned in dispatches here once or twice, often in the same breath as The Box of Delights.

I really want it to be good, and Robert MacFarlane's involvement suggests it should be, but the text's magic is so embedded in me I don't think I can cope with an adaptation. Even the first few seconds had me mentally crying out, "Why did they skip the beginning?!" (Of course they no doubt had good reasons for skipping the beginning.)

It's not a book I've ever read
I have a nice first edition hardback you can borrow.

I really want it to be good, and Robert MacFarlane's involvement suggests it should be, but the text's magic is so embedded in me I don't think I can cope with an adaptation. Even the first few seconds had me mentally crying out, "Why did they skip the beginning?!" (Of course they no doubt had good reasons for skipping the beginning.)
It might be good that I don't know it, then, as I won't have any pre-conceptions when I come to listen to it.

I have a nice first edition hardback you can borrow.
Not sure I'd want the responsibility of touching something so precious!

It might be good that I don't know it, then, as I won't have any pre-conceptions when I come to listen to it.

Not sure I'd want the responsibility of touching something so precious!
@The Judge
You owe it to yourself, now that you have started this malarkey, to get yourself a copy and read it before Christmas. It is a special book.

Well, I gave the Boxing Day omnibus edition 30 minutes, but I found it hard to pick up what was being said by some actors (perhaps my fault as I wasn't using headphones), even harder to work out what was happening, and I couldn't settle to the mix of reading and acting. So not one for me.
Nonetheless, I might try the book at some point, just to see if I get on better with the written word.