(Found) Sci-fi story about a man walking from some point and getting older the farther he goes from there (artificial aging of sorts)

gabrielrocket

I have read this book at around early 2000s and it's definitely a sci-fi book.
Author/title/release - cannot remember.
Most of the story I don't remember as well, but one thing which really sticks out is that it's about a main character (might have started as boy, not sure), but most of the story he is an adult man, who walks farther (south or north) from the initial location and surroundings there start to age faster. Eventually he encounters someone, whom he has known and noticed that the person grew significantly older than him (possibly was some woman, whom he loved?). I think, things aged faster as well, although, I could be wrong about this one. I also think, that getting back made either younger or slowed down the aging process. There was at least one death due to this aging process as well.

Regarding that aging thing - I am not sure how it worked, but there was either some device or some kind or signal/waves, which caused that. Planet also could have been not Earth.

I would be really glad, if anyone could help me with finding this book as I really would like to buy it again, but I just know too little about it to actually locate it anywhere.

Isnt that more about people/ things becoming distorted as one moves further from the travelling town, rather than getting older or younger?

My first thought was that it sounded very much like something JG Ballard might come up with.

Isnt that more about people/ things becoming distorted as one moves further from the travelling town, rather than getting older or younger?
Yes. that's why I said it "sounded a bit like it" rather than claiming it was the book being searched for.

Sounds a bit like Inverted World by Christopher Priest

That's the one! Thank you a lot for helping me out with it. Glad that you suggested it despite not sounding totally right based on my description.

Apparently I was wrong regarding only the aging thing. Distortion was the right one, but I didn't remember that detail at all anymore.