(Found) 2010's (ish) Earth impacted by alien pillars that land and move; created a disease a few pockets of humans left

InfiniteLoop

Ok so I don't think this book was written by any of the big SF authors but man was it a good read.

So from what I remember the earth had a pandemic (relevant huh?) and a few places were immune one of which I believe is Australia. Some people I think were also immune but I don't recall for sure.

Anyway the main protagonist is a pilot who runs scavenging flights out of this immune location. There is a sort of government / authority that runs the city / port and is more like a mafia than anything else.

There are these pillars that land and each one has a different light and they each move without regard to anything but terrain. They hover off the ground and move carving out huge swaths in what ever direction they go, buildings, trees, etc.

So the main guy decides to go explore one of these things and it turns out the pandemic and the pillars are related.

I recall more but I can't tell if that's what was actually in the book or if I'm just comingling concepts at this point... I really want to finish this series so all help truely apprecaited!

You're asking about a book but mention a series in your question. Is it one of a series that you remember reading?
Have a look through this guide and see if anything else comes to mind

I think it was a series sorry but I don't recall the series names... I totally read the request and tried to fill out as much as I could... I swear I even searched through all the old posts trying to see if anyone else had mentioned it.

I mean it has to be part of a series because it ended on a cliff hanger but I only read the first book.

Haha!
I actually have that entire series as ebooks in my To Be Read file, what a pity I haven't started it yet, I might have knew the story then.
Screenshot below:
Screenshot_20200428-164743.png