So who is getting lots of writing done?

Hi,

Well my writing is still going crazy. Since my last post here (27 Mar) I've practically finished my Barton Villa sequel - it's at 65K and now just needs polishing and editing. (So that's 43K in ten days). I also got inspired by a song and wrote 8K on a completely new book and then spent some time - about a day - rewriting a third book. Maybe this is one of the symptoms they didn't mention - you know: headache, fever, coughing and frenzied writing?!!!

Cheers, Greg.

My mental health has been badly affected at times by the current situation and I've been ill twice in the past 4 weeks, so my writing output hasn't been what I'd hoped for in self-isolation. But I'm hoping to try and get fresh momentum started today. :)

I don't now about lots, but I'm getting writing done. I just saw a bit of writing advice from Henry Miller that I take to heart. I was an admonition to himself.

Don't think of the books you want to write. Think only of the book you are writing.

Not yet, I'm still in mourning over my lost book :cry:. The file corruption is irreversible, so I'm going to have to start all over. So, right now, I'm taking a sanity break from writing and working on other projects. I finished and sent off a jewellery custom order last week to a client and now am working on some sample artwork for a possible digital painting commission. Eventually, I'll get back to rewriting the book. I have though already begun outlining the plot points/twists, timeline of events, etc for what I had written before (thankfully, I have an excellent memory for these kinds of things!), to make it a bit easier for when I come back to it.

Not yet, I'm still in mourning over my lost book :cry:. The file corruption is irreversible, so I'm going to have to start all over.

That's grim. I once lost a short story that way and that was bad enough. Good luck with the rewriting!

That's grim. I once lost a short story that way and that was bad enough. Good luck with the rewriting!

Thank you! At nearly 115k word count, rewriting is not going to be easy. Thankfully, I have a very good memory when it comes to remembering the plot of something I've read or watched so that will help, but the actual rewriting of everything is going to be a huge pain. I've since bought an external hard-drive and more flash-drives that I will make sure to keep copies of everything on in future so I don't risk this happening all over again.

FWIW, I always have three copies. I set my word processor to save backup copies to the cloud, so right there we have two copies. Then I run a daily backup to an external drive. The drive backups do generations, so even if a file gets corrupted I can restore from an earlier point.

If the computer crashes, I have backups. If the house burns down, I have the cloud. If it all is destroyed, I have bigger problems than an unfinished novel. <g>

Not yet, I'm still in mourning over my lost book :cry:. The file corruption is irreversible, so I'm going to have to start all over. So, right now, I'm taking a sanity break from writing and working on other projects. I finished and sent off a jewellery custom order last week to a client and now am working on some sample artwork for a possible digital painting commission. Eventually, I'll get back to rewriting the book. I have though already begun outlining the plot points/twists, timeline of events, etc for what I had written before (thankfully, I have an excellent memory for these kinds of things!), to make it a bit easier for when I come back to it.
I am super sorry about the lost manuscript. One thing you can do futureward is email the MS to yourself every so often. Text files are very small. Really a thumb drive backup is the easiest way though.
Have you tried running piriform recuva on the computer. It restores deleted files. so it may revive an earlier version before the session you lost it at.
When you resave a file the old one isn't deleted, it just flags the space as available. The only problem with recuva is that it finds loads of stuff you thought you had deleted forever.

I am super sorry about the lost manuscript. One thing you can do futureward is email the MS to yourself every so often. Text files are very small. Really a thumb drive backup is the easiest way though.

I plan to! I'd thought it was backed up this time, but it turned out it wasn't. I'm going to be backing everything up now in at least 3 different places as an extra measure of precaution.

Have you tried running piriform recuva on the computer. It restores deleted files. so it may revive an earlier version before the session you lost it at.
When you resave a file the old one isn't deleted, it just flags the space as available. The only problem with recuva is that it finds loads of stuff you thought you had deleted forever.

I took it to someone to run recovery software very soon after it happened. The software couldn't find any files to recover and even setting the computer back to the previous recovery date didn't work. I took it to two other PC repair clinics in case they knew of other recovery methods to try, but neither could fix the file or recovery an older version. The last place I took it told me that the only, microscopic, chance it had would be at a government-grade, computer forensic clean room where they literally take the computer apart and examine every fragment of information to try and piece something back together. Even that wasn't guaranteed to be successful (especially after one PC repair clinic had had to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall everything because of an error they encountered), and would have been very expensive.

Hi,

Well the madness continues. Barton Villa 2's out and I'm well into writing Barton Villa 3 (and I don't write sequels!!!) Clearly I have the COVID W virus - the Crazy Old Village Idiot Dribbling Words!

Cheers, Greg

I've actually been getting a lot of writing done during this whole quarantine thing, I almost feel guilty that I'm benefiting from it. I'm not on furlough, I have my work laptop at home and I'm still going through the usual motions for 8 hours of the day, but not having that commute time (or expense) every day has really helped me get a lot done, though I would still love more time to have those 8 hours back for even more writing!