the long way to a small angry planet - Becky Chambers

DeltaV

Picked up this book based on a recommendation elsewhere on SFF Chronicles, and am enjoying it so far (up to page 137).

I find some of the descriptions of the maintenance work ... especially a couple of scenes with the technician Kizzy ... quite good. The author must know someone that works in industrial electronics, instrumentation or is a millwright. Kizzy reminds me more than a little of some people that I've worked with over the years. Geez, I've even slapped a couple of notes on my sleeve (but none so far that said "EAT" !). And Kizzy singing Socks Match My Hat? I work in a multi-lingual environment and have heard guys singing English rap songs that don´t fully know all the lingo. And like Kizzy, couldn´t care less.

It's little things like that that add colour to the book and to the characters.

So I guess the book is about Rosemary, but the character of Kizzy has got my interest.

I have not read any reviews or anything about this novel so I don't know where the plot is going. Of course things ARE going to go south sooner or later. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point to the book. But putting myself in the place of the crew, I would kinda think that maybe this mission is not such a great idea. All expenses paid? Really? From the government? There's a big tip off right there! And do you really want to make a wormhole connection to a warlike society that has been fighting for centuries? Hmmm. And why exactly were they asked to do this job? Because they're expendable if things go bad? Guess I shall soon see...

Wikipedia says that this is Becky Chamber's first book. Self-published. Impressive. It's nice reading stuff from newer authors. How many other talented authors are out there struggling to get noticed?

Time to pick the book up and keep reading.

Will

I really enjoyed that one, and she has two more indirect sequels already out. Haven't read the third yet, but the second was okay (not as good as the first but still decent).

Yes! I've read this book and have been meaning to read the next two in the series. I really enjoyed it.

This book is a fine example of an independently published book from a gifted storyteller. It's the sort of book that I would love to write someday, one with interesting characters, interesting aliens and far-off, wonderful places. The story isn't so much about the activities of the wormhole-creating starship Wayfarer but rather about the diverse crew members, and more specifically who they are. Each character has an interesting story that kept me intrigued.

Throughout the book, I had a definite sense that the author has something bigger to say, an axe to grind if you will, maybe about the diversity of people and how it's okay to be different, etc. I can't quite put my finger in what it is, and I don't know the author, but I felt her passion, and that made it even more interesting. Overall, a really good character-driven story within a well-built universe with plenty of action and suspense to keep you hooked. I'll keep my eye on this author for sure.

I had a definite sense that the author has something bigger to say, an axe to grind if you will, maybe about the diversity of people and how it's okay to be different, etc. I can't quite put my finger in what it is, and I don't know the author, but I felt her passion, and that made it even more interesting.

And managed it without it feeling preachy.

And managed it without it feeling preachy.
Interesting. I've read this book is all about muh inclusion and diversity and less white men, but if it doesn't jam it down my throat, then I'd be interested in reading more.

Finished the book. Quite liked it. This type of novel lines up well with what I enjoy in SF ... good characters (regular Janes and Joes) with an interesting plot.

There is a locked thread in the Writing Discussion forum on Character driven/plot driven - what is SFF all about? along with a poll Are Ordinary People Interesting? This, IIRC, is where I found the recommendation for Becky Chambers (thank you Abernovo!). And, yeah, for me ordinary people are interesting in SF.

Over the last couple of years, I've gone back and read quite a bit of SF from the fifties, sixties and seventies. Yeah, a lot of interesting plots and great ideas, but I found character development left a lot to be desired. Maybe I'm wrong as I'm not a writer, but I have the impression that character development is more challenging than coming up with plots and settings. And when I read a book, it is insights into the characters ... their motivations, thoughts and emotions ... that reach out and touch me.

Example: Anna Karenina. There are passages in that book that I can so identify with it is almost spooky. And I don't even have any Russian blood in me! (at least as far as I know...).

Now a counter example from SF: the Honor Harrington series. I've seen multiple recommendations about these books, read the first novel, and just couldn't get into the characters. Maybe it's cause I don't know any star fleet captains, but I do know a few wacky techs so maybe that explains why I get Kizzy!

I'll put one more comment in the spoiler below.

A species where physical contact is very important (and apparently group orgies, but I'll leave that one alone). This made me think of something that I read about people quite some time ago, that we fall into three categories: visual, auditory or kinesthetic. I went on the Internet and read up on this (famous last words, I know!) and, yeah, for the last group touch is very important and they like physical contact with people. And it's part of their communication style. But because touch is so linked (obviously) to romantic and sexual interpretations, life is not easy for them, at least according to the article that I read. They don't feel "right" (because they can't touch due to taboos, legal restrictions, etc..) and often don't really understand why they feel that way.

I worked with a woman years ago that, in conversations, would keep touching my arm. She wasn't hitting on me or anything ... it was just the way she was. I don't even think she knew that she was even doing it. But yeah, some people could take that the wrong way.

Heh heh. I've lived in Latin America and picked up the hugging habit. So when I meet a Spanish coworker that I know, we'll shake hands then share a quick hug. And any Anglos around will be going 'whaaat?? and giving us weird looks. Funny. Anyways, I digress.

So when I read about the Aandrisk in this book, I remembered that article. I don't know how true that all is, but it is interesting.

At one point in the novel, there is an entry about the common natures of the sentient species in the galaxy, that fundamentally they share many similar characteristics. Maybe humans have more in common with the Aandrisk than we might first think. Rosemary certainly came to that conclusion.

For a first novel, it is very well done.

Will