FEBRUARY 2020 75-Word Story -- VICTORY TO TERESA EDGERTON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sealed with a kiss

And with that, he was gone.

She wept a solitary tear for a man she only knew by the deeds he had done that day. A humble knight of virtuous grace, he had defeated all that the curse had placed before him.

Her first true love, she had greeted him with a kiss, unbeknownst, sealing her fate and his doom.

Curse fulfilled, the Bower Knight arose, clad in her saviour’s armour, his sword in hand.

Love, Eternal

She wept as they lowered the shrouded body into the ground. She always wept, even now. Even after so long.

Her fist clenched so tight the pendent cut her palm. It was just a trinket -- nothing more than tin and glass, truthfully. Worthless. And worth everything.

She'd add it to her collection. Another reminder of how much love could hurt.

It wouldn't stop her, of course. What is life, even -- especially -- eternal life, without love?

The Swordsman

Beneath wintry skies, amidst ashen trees, the warrior waits.

Cross barren ground, cold and bitter, the wind whispers.

With bygone warmth, enclosed auburn hair, the locket smolders.

On river flowing, among fallen souls, his love forsaken.

By wizard’s blood, in careful count, the way opens.

From the breach, vile tortured screams, wailing of the damned.

Of elven steel, with dwarven runes, his sword hangs ready.

Through the portal, locket burning; Death and Fate, intertwined await.

Heartthrob

Pushing her way through the cheering crowd, she almost died from excitement.
Hannon the Trollslayer was passing through her village!
She screamed and waved, swooning over his muscular build and dazzling smile.
The Trollslayer’s Ballad played in her head.....tales of his great strength and skill. She was truly in love.

Later, she found his discarded apple core.
She would cherish this keepsake of her heart’s desire forever.
Won’t Maisie the milkmaid be jealous!

Memento from fear.

Dearest family:
I hope this postcard finds you doing less shrieking and tying people up. After escaping, surprisingly, I encountered that a lot... until meeting Psychomancer Tirran. He’s believes I’m psychic, and unconsciously avoiding anger and fear by pushing them into people nearby – creating ‘a problematic feedback’.
He’s offered counselling… but destiny calls: Baron Blane threatens our kingdom. I’ll infiltrate his fortress (the one pictured) tonight.

Love,

Timmy

P.S Could this explain prom night?

The Consolation of Orpheus
'To drink of the River Lethe is to lose one's memory,' she warned, as I leaned down to fill my skin.

'I will keep it, Eurydice.'

'A memento?' she smiled, wryly.

Fortunate that I did, for I lost her again. Raising the skin to my lips, this memento of my love becomes a means by which I forget her. The bittersweet droplets dampen my tongue, and I am spared the grief of untold ages.

Last edited:
A Kingdom Ring.

"Here's a ring," she said.

I wondered if it was a magical ring, did it make one invisible or did it give one great strength. It looked quite plain, no writing on it.

"Go on, put it on," she continued.

Well I'll put it on then.

Nothing happened.

Then she leant across and kissed me.
And then something wonderful did happen.

I fell in love with her.

For Want of a Ring

Sir James loved her. Lady Rachel was sure. But why would James not wear her love’s memento?

Married he was, and loved he his wife. But enjoyed he the female interest his ringless finger brought. James knew Rachel was disquieted; but she’d stay true. The Lady loved him.

And so it went for fifteen summers. Lady Rachel’s doubts grew stronger. Sir James’ admirers grew bolder.

Love’s dead now. Nobody’s surprised. James never wore her ring.

Aquatic demobilisation

Sweat-soggy gambeson, a summer's err,
A spring, rustic, woebegone, offers cool.
Unloaded steeds are still delighteder,
I strip into the pool.

Disporting in the water
When unseen Undine strikes
With jagged teeth, like pikes
Aquatic nature's daughter
Experience has taught her
Seducing mortals that she likes
Without resulting slaughter.

No longer saving damsel-kind from trolls
In leaden armour baking
And par-boiled muscles aching.
This paladin is palared out
Ejected from the tourney's rolls

Far above the crashing waves there sat a fiery beauty. The salty spray tickled her but no joy was found upon her. She scanned the emerald sea for any sign of billowing sails.

The sea had carried her love from her to fight the evil that was brewing. Her bosom ached with the pain of death. War was on the wind.

"Hush hush my love don't cry," she sang as she caressed her growing belly.

Love Requited

Val hitched his sword and sat down. “Baeth left me.”

“Really? Why?”

“She was always harping about gifts and poems and such. What do I know about those things? I’m a fighting man, not a lord or prince." Sigh. "Well, at least I have something to remember her by.”

“That’s nice. What?”

Val reached into his shirt and pulled out a wet dripping orb on a thong. “Her heart.”

Gurn sputtered wine. “You’re sick Valantine.”

When Smoke Gets in Her Eyes

Concentric smoke rings caressed Ava from feet to smiling face. She giggled.

The smoke coalesced into human form.

"Will you accompany me to my world?"

Her eyes teared up.

"I'd feel out of place. I'd miss human interaction."

"I understand. Please accept this."

He drifted away. Ava held up his gift, a cigar with a little piece of him to remind her of him. Later she would light up, puff a smoke ring, and weep.

A Highland Echo

Angus rapped the door and turned over his wrist yet again to savor the enchanting face of the beautiful witch he’d woken to find tattooed across it.

The door opened… and the self-same woman appeared – in modern garb, though – and beckoned him inside.

“You found me…” she purred, welcoming him with a kiss and turning over her own hand to reveal the face of a warlock tattooed on her arm: his face.
“How many eons…?”

A Necklace

The necklace’s chain was broken where Sir Ferrin jealously tore it from her neck and spotted red where his blood spattered off her sword. The casing had cracked after the horse bucked her into a stony ravine; the jewel lost in darkness during her hurried flight.

The necklace now dangled from a landowner’s dirty hands. He grunted and gestured towards the hut. “It’s yours.”

Lady Kae had a new life, all thanks to Ferrin’s gift.

Boyhood Treasure Box

She sat on this very scallop shell, golden tresses falling nearly to her tail, and sang stories of the sea.
She said she was "new" and that's why she was so small.

I begged her to stay. She silently shook her head.
When I lowered the shell to the water a lisp of wave carried her away.

My fingers trace the fan’s furrows.
Were I to wander there again would she now be full-gro
wn?

And Now For Something Completely Different

In the throne room.

“Name!”

“Arthur.”

“Of Camelot?”

“No your ‘ighness, ‘Two Sheds’ Jackson.”

“Oh… What bring you for my daughter’s hand?”

“Well, I got two coconut ‘alves.”

“An insult! You… hang on, where did you get a coconut from anyway?”

“Um… a swallow dropped it?”

Heavy oak doors burst open.

“Arthur! Stop botherin’ these nice people.”

“Aww mum, but I was gonna be a prince.”

“You’re not a prince, you’re a very naughty boy!”

A Tower of Loss

The appalling gaolor stood over Conjurer Marigan, sweating at him. “A dead woman’s love not worth this wretchedness.”

Marigan sprang to his feet, hugging his tormentor before he raised his truncheon. “To that test!”

It was a great kiss – full of love, hope and desire. The gaolor melted into it, acquiescing in every way. Marigan pulled back, rewarded with a much fairer visage.

“Fancy this?” Sarah reached into the dirty tunic for the tower key.

Seed of the Sea

Karine should have played with the others but wasn’t wanted. That which should have elicited sympathy was the one that ostracized her.

While they played in gangs, she sat alone. When they returned to loving parents she watched the sea, orphaned.

She held a necklace of shells. Her father drowned in stormy waves, her mother unknown, tales of siren songs, love given and lost.

Of mermaid and man and the tragedy such love could bring.

The Chosen

Gerian neared the dais. The birthmark on his palm burned where it touched the sword – destiny was with him.

“Go on boy,” Belhorath whispered. Is he the one?

Kel Herak, Queen & Goddess, turned, her lips splitting into a smile. Gerian exploded into a scarlet mist of roasted viscera. Herak breathed, drawing in the boy’s remnants, and sighed. “You always were my favourite, Belhorath.”

She remembered! Belhorath knelt reverently before Her. “S-same time next millenium?”

With This Token of My Love

Spotting Princess Araya beyond the softly snoring dragon, Sir Yarrick slowly edged around its snout, carefully avoiding its wickedly sharp, protruding teeth.

“Put that down.” He whispered.

Dropping the magnificent ruby ring, Araya turned and raised her wand. Yarrick levelled his sword at her throat.

“Your magic will not work on me, thief. Now go.”

The dragons eyes opened as Araya fled.

Picking up the ring, Yarrick caressed her muzzle.

“It’s still ours my love.”

Status
Not open for further replies.