DISCUSSION THREAD -- February 2020 -- 75-Word Writing Challenge

I love the theme! I've never read Romantic Fantasy, and wonder if someone could clue me in a little about the genre.

From looking at an explanation of RF on Wikipedia, it seems a story should be set in something like an Epic Fantasy universe, or be sort of what Hollywood calls a period piece ... something, maybe, set in the middle ages, with minstrels, knights, noble folk, etc.

But could it also be a more contemporary setting, with a person romanticizing about impossible relationships (so, the fantasy part being a love that could never really happen)? Or is that stretching the genre parameters a bit too much... Thanks in advance for any help, CC

edit: Oh! I have read Le Morte d'Arthur ... maybe that's RF? Still, I wonder if a contemporary setting falls within the genre...

The opening sentence of the Wikipedia article on Romantic Fantasy states:
Romantic fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction, describing a fantasy story using many of the elements and conventions of the chivalric romance genre.
Whether this, or the whole article, provides the definitive... er... definition of this, I do not know...

...but bags I "some watery tart" who throws a sword in the general direction of someone in my story....

I know nothing about the genre, I haven't read any in my life but it seems this is going to be fun and funny.

3nvec8.jpg

Interesting theme and setting!
Never read any of the novels mentioned in the article Ursa pointed at. So, a challenge where that will take me.

*must keep in mind not to deck out my knight with a titanium harness*

I love the theme! I've never read Romantic Fantasy, and wonder if someone could clue me in a little about the genre.
I've not looked at a formal definition, but anything that has both fantasy and romance/something romantic in it -- as long as they're an integral part of the story and not just window dressing -- would meet the genre as far as I'm concerned

I wonder if my current 300 could be deemed romantic fantasy?
For me, your 300 is slightly more SF than fantasy, as you talk of a controller -- SF fantasy perhaps -- but it certainly qualifies for the romance part, and something like that would probably hit the mark for me.

Just a general word of warning to everyone which occurs to me in light of Peter's query and my answer (though I'm sure he didn't mean anything of the kind). Since it's so difficult to get a story across in only 75 words, we don't allow people to re-use a previous 300 worder in the 75s, as it might confer an unfair advantage (ie because someone might remember the 300, and therefore can read more easily between the lines and pick up the plot). And, of course, we don't allow anyone to pinch someone else's story from a previous Challenge. So Peter's wonderful tale is off-limits, dammit. ;)

I'm sorry, but in view of Neil Innes' recent metamorphosis (R.I.P.) and the theme of this month's challenge, I cannot resist...

Beautiful Zelda from Galaxy Four
Suddenly walked through my door

The opening sentence of the Wikipedia article on Romantic Fantasy states:Whether this, or the whole article, provides the definitive... er... definition of this, I do not know...

"Romantic fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction, describing a fantasy story using many of the elements and conventions of the chivalric romance genre."

...but bags I "some watery tart" who throws a sword in the general direction of someone in my story....

With that definition the first thing that leapt to mind was Arthurian. Which, would be cheating as all those tales have been told to death. I don't do romance, either read or write it. Scratch that, I can't do romance. Anything beyond a bad pun is pushing my limits. Unless a some watery tart slaps me around the face with a fish after helping out @Ursa major , I'm going to sit this month out.

Not dissing the choice, just not my genre.

Oh boy.

I'm thinking that it might be best to sit this one out...not really sure if my mood or my writing style is up for the romantic part without tearing everything apart.

I suppose I'll consider it, but, no hopes this month from me.

Back