Looking for an unknown book written by H.P. Lovecraft.

Zebu God

I am looking for a book, which I am convinced was written by H.P. Lovecraft. In it, the main character finds themselves drawn to a star or constellation. When it shines upon them, or through their window, it takes their attention away and they find themselves wandering on long walks in the direction of the star, often ending up in a vacant park. On nights when the star does not shine in the sky, or when it is blocked by a wall or cloud, the pull is felt less strong. But, by the end of the book, the Stars' pull is so great that it pulls the main character clean away from the world.

It bears some similarity to "What the moon brings" and "Polaris" but I do not believe it is either. I have read through a 'complete' list of H.P. Lovecrafts works, twice, looking for it to no avail, and have otherwise been searching for years. If you can help me to find this book, please do, thank you.

Sounds a little like, though not completely consistent with my memory of the beginning of The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath.

Actually, that's reminding me of a short story I read--possibly O'Henry? The main character was a rich materialist guy, disturbed by either bodiless music or the sight of stars, and he went for long walks under its influence...somewhere in the middle of the story he saw a kid or somebody being hit by a motor...and I think he ended with rather mystically pulled out of body. But it had to do either stars, or singing. And I'm not entirely sure it was O'Henry. It could have been G.K. Chesterton. In fact, I'm starting to be more certain it was Chesterton than O'Henry. There was a mysterious beggar person in it, I think.

I'm sure this is not a book by Lovecraft.

Could it be "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?

Sounds a little like, though not completely consistent with my memory of the beginning of The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath.

I don't think it's DreamQuest . It doesn't really sound like it.:unsure:

I am looking for a book, which I am convinced was written by H.P. Lovecraft. In it, the main character finds themselves drawn to a star or constellation. When it shines upon them, or through their window, it takes their attention away and they find themselves wandering on long walks in the direction of the star, often ending up in a vacant park. On nights when the star does not shine in the sky, or when it is blocked by a wall or cloud, the pull is felt less strong. But, by the end of the book, the Stars' pull is so great that it pulls the main character clean away from the world.

The only story by Lovecraft in which a character is being drawn by a constellation is "The Dreams in the Witch House" although Gilman is not pulled off the earth by it. If that is not it, then you are misremembering it being a Lovecraft book.

It bears some similarity to "What the moon brings" and "Polaris" but I do not believe it is either. I have read through a 'complete' list of H.P. Lovecrafts works, twice, looking for it to no avail, and have otherwise been searching for years. If you can help me to find this book, please do, thank you.

Could it be other writers from his era? Pehaps Clark Ashton Smith . Seabury Quinn, Frank Belknap Long, Abraham Merritt ?

Last edited:

Back