Discussion - October 75 Word Writing Challenge

Congratulations are clearly due, @Margaret Note Spelling. Nicely done!

I thought I'd also stick up my first effort that I realised didn't fit the genre at the last moment just before posting. I liked it a lot but it's more a generic fantasy tale than something truly mythical.

Lorrence hooded the lantern, closing her eyes as the grave cold darkness thickened around her. She could taste their greed, drawn by the lure light of her soul. Whispered voices offered peace, pleasure, sweet oblivion. Part of her craved what they promised.

Now.

The lantern blazed. Darkness evaporated in a tumult of terrified shrieks and that awful tearing. Lorrence glanced over her shoulder. Her shadow stretched out behind her. It looked… fatter.

That’s my girl.

Nicely done @Margaret Note Spelling, great performance.

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to @Starbeast and @elvet for what are my first & second votes ever! Along with your remarks, unique, clever and astonishing Sci-Fi. Really is too much guys.
Thanks also to @Parson for the shortlist mention.

I wouldn’t have been surprised to have been passed over this month, knowing I hadn’t actually written a myth or fable. But I have seen others definitely only tick the theme box in previous outings and do quite well, so I thought, what the hell.

I wouldn’t have been surprised to have been passed over this month, knowing I hadn’t actually written a myth or fable. But I have seen others definitely only tick the theme box in previous outings and do quite well, so I thought, what the hell.
I did just the opposite thing. The first story I wrote this month was spot on as far as mythology concerned, but had too little to do with shadow. I liked the story very much (it also had a nice ending), but I dismissed it anyway for lack of necessary shadows. The 2nd story I wrote had a weak ending but at least had shadow as the main theme, albeit in a passive way.
Right now I feel like going for the stronger entry next time and have others decide whether it passes the theme and genre criteria.

Congratulations, @Margaret Note Spelling! Very well-deserved. :)

------

For those who don't know, the baobhan sith in my story comes from Scottish myth and folklore. We have faerie vampires in Scottish lore, part of the larger Sìth (in Irish: Sídhe) mythology/legend.

The baobhan sith is a creature who always piqued my curiosity, since I heard of her as a child (fairy tales, good stories to tell your kid at bedtime!), along with the bean nighe, the washerwoman at the ford, who can be a portent of doom, but also an aspect of a principal Goddess.

The narrator was, in my mind's eye, a grown-up Caledonian Buffy.

Massive congratulations to @Margaret Note Spelling, a clear winner!

Big thanks to @Marvin and @Hugh for their mentions, completely unexpected but thoroughly appreciated. Didn't think I quite got the "Myth" or "Fable" aspect nailed down, but was fun to try nonetheless.

Congrats to all for their varied contributions and for the enjoyment it gave me to read them all.

Right now I feel like going for the stronger entry next time and have others decide whether it passes the theme and genre criteria.

I came to this conclusion back in the August challenge.
Not wanting to throw anyone under the bus (@Cathbad) great story came in, bang on theme, genre nowhere to be seen. They then self confessed (amusingly it has to be said) in the discussion thread, to having completely missed the genre, or even realising what it should have been. Guess what, got a vote! And my fantastic (in my humble opinion) bang on genre offering, not a bean.
If only we were all as rigorous as TJ

Honestly, I don’t actually care too much. It’s all good fun :giggle:

Congratulations Margaret Note Spelling
@Margaret Note Spelling

1572442127135.png

The rabbits that inspired me to create Babbette & Costello. Except I imaged the bunnies a different color that became white from fear.
(from Disney's Robin Hood)
My Story: I decided to go with FABLE, because I like AESOP, and most stories have animals in them. I thought about the dangers of someone overly-curious to see a monster in a mansion. So I came up with a brother and sister bunny pair (like Abbott & Costello), who narrowly escaped the sinister clutches of a dreaded, Shadow Monster.

Also, as it turned out, I gave two morals, thinking two would be fun and much like a pairing similar to the old AESOP cartoons.

A real AESOP moral - "He is wise, who is warned by the misfortunes of others." Meaning the children should have listened to their father about his bad experience with the creature, and never do what he did.

PLUS

My own moral - "Seek an evil clown movie, and be traumatized for life." Basically, look for something terrifying, and be fearful forever. I chose to reference the Stephen King "IT" movie, because I noticed the effect it had on many people when they were young and saw the film.

I added that second moral as an homage to the AESOP cartoons. Because the father would mention the moral to a story, then his son would add his own moral which was his own take on his dad's tale.

1572442994387.png

Not wanting to throw anyone under the bus (@Cathbad) great story came in, bang on theme, genre nowhere to be seen. They then self confessed (amusingly it has to be said) in the discussion thread, to having completely missed the genre, or even realising what it should have been. Guess what, got a vote! And my fantastic (in my humble opinion) bang on genre offering, not a bean.

Sigh! I have a similar problem, but I have to remember that we aren't even as constrained in our judging as those who judge gymnastics. In the end, each voter brings their own feelings into the game. There are some of us (I like to think I'm one of them.) who try to determine if a story meets the credentials of theme and genre before voting, and some of don't look at that closely at all.

Several years ago a story won which I didn't think met the criteria at all but was overwhelmingly clever. Clearly, the story is more important than following the rules, but disregard them at your peril, because far more stories have floundered at the rocks of genre and theme, than have slipped over them unscathed.

And "Forsooth, that we should all judge like @The Judge." We should then become the worldwide headquarters for only the erudite and grammatical. I'm afraid many, like me, would be left as peons sniveling in our ditches.

I came to this conclusion back in the August challenge.

It's so easy to do, Marvin. I start out reading the entries thinking "I must remember to the theme and genre" and then get sucked in just by the story. Fortunately, 99% of the time, just before I vote something at the back of my mind says "Theme and genre?" and I go back and check.

I'm one that tries to judge on theme and genre first but doesn't always succeed. and I'm nowhere near as strict as some others. and there are always plenty of votes for stories that miss or only vaguely hit theme and genre. my stories included!

And thank you, everyone, for reading my story.

"Didn't need It" Creepy cool my friend. Stay Awesome, and it's always nice to see you here.

It's so easy to do, Marvin. I start out reading the entries thinking "I must remember to the theme and genre" and then get sucked in just by the story. Fortunately, 99% of the time, just before I vote something at the back of my mind says "Theme and genre?" and I go back and check.

That's the KEY to staying focused on a challenge. It's on my key chain. See. This ones for the space ship, this ones for the cargo bay, this is for the Andromeda Strain, the Tardis, the loo......ah. The key of focus. It's a little worn, but it helps.

I'm one that tries to judge on theme and genre first but doesn't always succeed. and I'm nowhere near as strict as some others. and there are always plenty of votes for stories that miss or only vaguely hit theme and genre. my stories included!

"Stan" Well crafted tale, sir. Outstanding. "Oye couldn't a'done it better meself." I too have a rough time writing and voting. I always think about the caliber of authors here, but, I remain cool, and try not to think about the challenge. And that's when the Muse begins to draw near me. Sometimes, just out of reach, where I start trying to lure it close to me.

I completely agree. A good story sucks in all the right ways.
Your comment made me smile more so though, as your good self was the culprit that gave @Cathbad the vote in August :D love it. I thought his story was great that month too by the way.

"Stan" Well crafted tale, sir. Outstanding. "Oye couldn't a'done it better meself." I too have a rough time writing and voting. I always think about the caliber of authors here, but, I remain cool, and try not to think about the challenge. And that's when the Muse begins to draw near me. Sometimes, just out of reach, where I start trying to lure it close to me.

thanks SB. I thought your story hit the theme and genre perfectly by the way and I enjoyed reading it (as always with your tales). missed the reference to Aesop and Son - I guess that cartoon didn't make it down south - but liked the double moral anyway.

Back