Looking for a story about Martian beamed power

Karen Parker

I remember reading a story where two human engineers are working in the ruins of a tower in the Martian desert, trying to get an unknown device working, which after a lot of experimentation turns out to be a relay in a beamed power system. The interesting part was that intercut with their story was the efforts, in the far past, of a Martian youngster and his father to get the same device working, culminating in their placing it in service. I have no idea about the title or author, but recall that I read it in an anthology of some sort.

Can anyone help with title and/or author and perhaps tell me where I could find it?

Thank you all

Karen Parker

I remember reading a story where two human engineers are working in the ruins of a tower in the Martian desert, trying to get an unknown device working, which after a lot of experimentation turns out to be a relay in a beamed power system. The interesting part was that intercut with their story was the efforts, in the far past, of a Martian youngster and his father to get the same device working, culminating in their placing it in service. I have no idea about the title or author, but recall that I read it in an anthology of some sort.

Can anyone help with title and/or author and perhaps tell me where I could find it?

Thank you all

Karen Parker
Groans, so familiar, I know I've read it.
C'mon memory...get whizzing around!

The story is one from The Complete Venus Equilateral [Station] series by George O Smith. The book is a collection of short stories. The one about re-discovering the power transmission system is titled Lost Art.

Last edited:

Back