August 2019: Reading Thread

Having just read A. Bertram Chandler’s first John Grimes book, The Road to the Rim (1967) and enjoyed it immensely, I’m now starting the second book in the sequence, To Prime the Pump (1971). Terrific stuff - see thread on these books in the classic SF forum.

Back to flitting between books - trying to get into Lian Hearn's Across the Nightingale Floor and the writing just isn't for me.

Just started Infinity Born, by Douglas E. Richards a highly regarded near future S.F. I much prefer far future S.F. but am giving this a chance. I have previously enjoyed Mind's Eye, Wired, and Quantum Lens by this author also near future S.F. so it's probably a pretty safe bet for me.

Just started Infinity Born, by Douglas E. Richards a highly regarded near future S.F. I much prefer far future S.F. but am giving this a chance. I have previously enjoyed Mind's Eye, Wired, and Quantum Lens by this author also near future S.F. so it's probably a pretty safe bet for me.
I've read a couple of his books, one was a bit too YA but according to this list he also writes YA series, it must have been in the wrong section of the library when I did my usual "grab ten that don't look familiar" fortnightly visit.

Having just read A. Bertram Chandler’s first John Grimes book, The Road to the Rim (1967) and enjoyed it immensely, I’m now starting the second book in the sequence, To Prime the Pump (1971). Terrific stuff - see thread on these books in the classic SF forum.
try them. sorry to say that can't agree with your assessement. boring...

Last night I finished String City by Graham Edwards - hugely enjoyable and very silly, I shall look out for some more of his work.

Tonight I shall make a start on Distaff :)

try them. sorry to say that can't agree with your assessement. boring...
Tom-AH-toes, tom-AY-toes. I'd readily admit that adjectives that could be used pejoratively might include 'pulpy', 'shallow', or 'broad', but I don't see how they could be described as 'boring'. Too much happens far too quickly! On top of which they are among the most readable SF I've read since I last picked up an Asimov - seriously. But don't you love different opinions, they make this a fun place.

Tom-AH-toes, tom-AY-toes. I'd readily admit that adjectives that could be used pejoratively might include 'pulpy', 'shallow', or 'broad', but I don't see how they could be described as 'boring'. Too much happens far too quickly! On top of which they are among the most readable SF I've read since I last picked up an Asimov - seriously. But don't you love different opinions, they make this a fun place.
yeah lo but then again i don't like asimov, so...

'don't like Asimov' is a red rag to a bull, of course, but I shall leave it alone, take a deep breath and brew a nice cup of tea. tobl is quite at liberty to like or not like whoever... (however misguided)

'don't like Asimov' is a red rag to a bull, of course, but I shall leave it alone, take a deep breath and brew a nice cup of tea. tobl is quite at liberty to like or not like whoever... (however misguided)
sorry mate, i'm a heinlein fan. i agree that some of asimov books are readable but... i also recognize i tried to read the foundation series but honestly it never caught my interest. the idea is interesting but the writing not so much for me

listeningto the first book in the gor series. so far don't really understand what the fuss is about. medieval type society with slaves and warrios and priests... it treats women bad? so far didn't listen to anything undue

Back