The Boys - Amazon Prime

When they were doing the beaming thing, how they were so precise, because to my eyes, if they'd have gone slightly to the side, they'd beamed each other, right?
I'd have to go back and look. Maybe it was one of those opposing beams canceling each other out things.

Reactions: ctg
JWcg1RX.jpg
So, they finally gave us an explanation for the powerless supes. "Soldier Boy burns V out of their blood." I don't really buy it, because if it burns the V, it should cause something horrific, not just death and blackened corpses. I mean we should see probably extreme forms of powers, as it goes, but the blast is so quick that we'll never see it.

But it didn't affect Butcher and his temp-V, because right after it, that last fight happened. Then we have the fact that the Soldier Boy is partly mental, through the PTSD's. But at least Butcher is medicating him with a weed. Except I doubt he's giving the boy CBD, but instead he's supplying him high grade THC that's only going to cause more psychosomatic errors.

That man is a sum of all sorts of things that should not have happened, and trying to fix his brain after decades of torture isn't going to happen with a couple of joints. It just isn't. Not even if he'd get Snoop Dog's Cookies.

Instead, if I'm reading this right, he's going to be one of Garth's extreme supes, just like what happened in the Preacher with their Main Characters. There is almost nothing that can hold him, stop him, or put him in his place. And I hated that he just left Butcher to lie on the forest floor after MindTrap effed Butcher.

Soldier Boy only saw him as a number, and I loved that Hughie confronted the mad man with the reality about his past, instead of sh*t that he spews out of his mouth, every minute. To be honest, I kind of wish that Hughie would have left Soldier Boy to get lost in the forest forever.

I hated him even more when Noir revealed in his psychosis the past in the Soldier Boy family, meaning that the powers has gone in the Soldier Boy's and he needs a good slapping, to get him to understand that he is a big bully. A total d*ck (pardon by French).

What soldier would leave a man behind to die? According to Noir's cartoon, he punished his team to a point that they are all turned on him, when Edgar made an offer.

In the Butcher's memories, we also saw him become the image of his father, another bully. His way was the army service, and he wasn't there to stop his brother, when he played with the wheelgun. Reliving that memory didn't teach him anything.

He could not tell Hughie the truth about the temp V. Instead he just continued being the man he is, and using the boy to advance his agenda.

The biggest mindef was revealing the Homelander being Soldier Boy's son.

aud2L2R.jpg

First Kimiko surprised me with the biggest bottle of whisky, ever, in her handbag. Then Starlight drank it as if she's a complete alcoholic, before Kimiko revealed that it was her fight drink, ever.

Mind blown, but it didn't stop there, as the next ask was with the Compound V, not the temp stuff. It is as if all of them have gone slightly bonkers. Kimiko lost her powers and was happy about it. Then she had to save Frenchie, and she liked the action, a bit too much.

So yeah, getting back to supply of the blue stuff, is kind of logical next step ... in the crazy man's world. But then again, they're living in the world where the extreme people are complete nut jobs, so who is us to say no to their slightly mental moves, when the heroes live the heroes lives. That's what she chose, and said in her message. That it was her choice to take chemical, and the candlelight moment was the fact that she almost lost Frenchie.

That is so sweet. Her being lioness. Another one is StarLight, especially for telling Homelander, to his face, to shove it because all he is, is another bully. Not a man. Not even a macho man, but an insane, homicidal dictator that ultimately is nothing more than a bully.

I can't stop shaking my head on these revelations and twists.

Good episode, I thought. I do love Kimiko, best character in it. The "English" accents in it though are terrible, like, really bad. Always said Karl Urban's was terrible (sounds Australian rather than English to me - I know, I know he's from New Zealand but him trying to do an English accent sounds Australian), but the kid who played his younger brother sounded Irish and his dad was awful too. The young actor who played teen Billy was passable. I just can't suspend my disbelief that these characters are from England because they sound so wrong.

Anyway. Kinda saw the Soldier Boy thing coming.

Had to Google Antony Starr's birthday because I refuse to believe Homelander is younger than me when he looks ten years older. (Google tells me that Antony Starr is actually seven years older than me so not far off!).

It's not really my sort of thing (too much violence, too depressing, etc.) but I was curious and watched a few episodes and then I got hooked on the characters and the story and binge-watched the first two seasons. Then in the middle of one of the episodes early in the third season I just suddenly burned out. I was done. I realized that nothing good was going to happen (if it ever was going to happen) until a lot more awful things had happened first, and I didn't feel like I wanted to stick around for those.

The biggest mindef was revealing the Homelander being Soldier Boy's son.
I didn't expect that either. In retrospect, I should have noticed their psychopathic similarities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin smith spoke about the Boys and told that Anthony Starr should receive an Emmy for playing totally effed up supe so brilliantly that "you'll love to hate him."

eM2WjZt.jpg

Holy **** balls!

I don't know where to begin, what to say, who to refer first, but I can tell you that I was screaming at my screen while Annie was charging up to "BLAST IT! Don't bloody wait, GO! EF HIM UP!" But I should have known, nothing can kill the baddie. Not in Garth Ennis universe, and I should have remembered that from the Preacher.

Yet, somehow I know that we aren't at the real final. Not yet, not even if Butcher has been given a clock and Annie has finally ditched her uniform and joined the Boys. It all feels as if there is something even more and the writers were somewhat restricted on the level of absolutely madness they can unleash. Still, the series should get some sort of recognition for breaking the superperson rules, and showing the world how it could really be, in this world of ours.

It also didn't surprise me that Homelander sympathizers were accepting on showing his murderous side. After all, some of us are animals. But I wish MM's girl would have been seen the step daddy being the first to cheers the act. I suspect that geezer is going to get what's coming at some point in the future.

Still, I'm kind of winded up by all that happened in the final, and in someways it feels about that they reached GoT level of terror, by showing how unrestricted Homelander ... well, his whole family from son to grand daddy really is, because there's nobody to stop. Except the Boys, who too feel that unrestrictness of what they do.

What surprised me was that there was no footage, no numbers, nothing on the level of casualties from Soldier Boy going nuclear amongst the skyscrapers. The blastwave, shrapnel, the falling debris should all have counted for something, but it was like a miracle that nothing else than Maeve losing her powers (for how long) really happened.

Nevertheless...

Bravo (y)

This series functions well as a satire on superheroes and politics.
Like Preacher, it requires a high tolerance for graphic violence. The show could tone down the blood and gore and still make its points.
I was surprised that both Maeve and Soldier Boy survived the blast. It seemed to be the conflict outcome we were meant to think it was. Both characters could be beneficiaries of the show getting a fourth season.
The same goes for Homelander. I'm with @Mouse on wanting to see him gone, but he's such a well-developed supervillain he'll probably last as long as the series -- or as long as Antony Starr wants to play the role.
I expect much of the next season to focus on whether Homelander will turn Ryan to the dark side. Adding nurture to nature may give Ryan a very slim chance of not following in his dad's footsteps.

Just finished season 3 and it's wide open for season 4. Visceral but a truly great show.

I was surprised that both Maeve and Soldier Boy survived the blast. It seemed to be the conflict outcome we were meant to think it was. Both characters could be beneficiaries of the show getting a fourth season.
Well, I think they were prepared to wrap the season, as you know you cannot say you will make it to the next one. So, they could have done other endings and finished the thing with Homeland going serial killing everyone, or getting finally shown place by the surviving heroes.

Preacher most certainly went through that several times, and it wasn't guaranteed that they'd finish the run. But at least they did and from the articles that I read, it became quite clear to them around the halfway point that there would be another season. So, the other ending ended in the editing room floor.

I think with the Soldier Boy they had to put the bad man back into the bottle, because he was just too much, and next to him Homelander seemed almost like a good guy. Except they gave him enough of screen time to convey the feeling that wasn't the case.

There was also the line, when Homelander said to Ryan, "Come with me, son. We'll disappear into the world and nobody would find us..." and I totally believed him. DC's Superman has done it, Batman did it more than once in his grumpy moments, and in a way I believe that's what Homelander wants to do. To disappear and teach his kid the way how he sees the world, expect he gets caught by the lights and sparkle. By the fame and acceptance of his fans.

If it would not be there, and the people would turn their backs on him, he would either go to murderous rampage to get that feeling again, or then he'd grumble and shrink because nobody notices him. In a way, he would become a hobo supe.

Now he has everything. And that's corrupting him, because all that fame and acceptance enables his dark side, and since nobody is there to stop him, that corrupts Ryan. So far, in their bloodline, that has meant bad things, and we can blame Edgar for it, because he thought he could fix things with a new generation.

Chicken Salesman was wrong with Walter White, and Edgar wrong about making supes through application of serum V. Either case, they were both in the chem business and they both effed up royally. Yet, Edgar is still alive, and I don't think he has stopped anything. He gave up Vought too easily to just step back and enjoy his days for the man he presents.

I think Edgar wants Homelander to go full psycho, and him being there with some next gen stuff to save the day. Maybe he'll even have a fix for Butcher, by either turning him to a full supe or reversing it all back to human. Knowing what happened with the Preacher, I think full supe is more likely.

I also did wonder why Annie didn't offer V solution to Maeve, because it worked on Kimiko?

We love The Boys, which is an outrageously gross and often hilarious take-down of celebrity culture, social media politics and even, occasionally, superhero stories. But we have one request for The Boys season 4 – let the female characters be as flawed as the boys!

Of course, every character in The Boys is flawed in some way, because it’s just that kind of world. And thanks to a number of male characters from the comic book series who have been gender-flipped for the show, the TV version does have a decent roster of flawed or outright villainous female characters. But in season 4, we’d love to see just a little more in the way of character flaws for the two central comics-origin female characters: Annie and Kimiko

I sort of get what she's saying, but Kimiko and Queen Maeve are both deeply flawed. Kimiko's brutal and Maeve was a total alcoholic.

As season 4 approaches, albeit at a disabled snail's pace, The Boys universe has expanded with Gen V.
GEN V
is every bit as raunchy, outrageous and satirical as the original -- quite possibly more so. As such, it is not a show I would recommend for youngsters or "more sensitive viewers".
When this spinoff completed its eight-episode run in November, it had already been renewed for a second season.