The Boys - Amazon Prime

Finally got Amazon Prime And started watching this. First impressions are great.

The acting’s pretty decent and the “Supes” are pretty well fleshed out. Powerful, but with all the petty jealousies and Failures of human beings. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Great ending to series one and I'll start series 2 this afternoon. Antony Starr as Homelander is brilliant and has the dead eyes of a psychopath down to a tee.

Spoiler Alert:

Why did he save Butcher?

Homelander does not strike me as the compassionate type.

I finished the second series last night. I have to say that I felt that they kept trying to top each other with the gore, which I didn’t like. the C word was used too often and I felt it lost its harshness as I was just used to hearing it to often.

Storm Front’s past was a great little twist that I really enjoyed. Homelander’s son appears to be a lot more powerful than him. (Well, at least his laser eyes are.) I predict a showdown between the two at some point.

As I watched this show, I frequently wondered why an actor looked so familiar. After numerous visits to IMDb, the cast was looking like a round-up from other shows I've watched.
Anthony Starr (Homelander): who played faux Sheriff Lucas Hood on Banshee
Karl Urban (Billy Butcher ): Detective John Kennex on Almost Human, and Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy on the rebooted Star Trek movies
Dominique McElligott (Queen Maeve): Lily Bell on Hell on Wheels
Elisabeth Shue (Madelyn Stillwell): Chris from Adventures in Babysitting
Simon Pegg (Hugh Campbell): Shaun in Shaun of the Dead
Colby Minifie (Ashley Barrett): Virginia on Fear the Walking Dead
Malcolm Barrett (Seth Reed): Rufus Carlin on Timeless and F.J. Hoover on Preacher
Goran Visnjic (Alastair Adona ): Garcia Flynn on Timeless
Shawn Ashmore (Lamplighter): who only looked familiar because he is the twin brother of Aaron Ashmore, who played Johnny Jaqobis on Killjoys and Steve Jinks on Warehouse 13

All of these actors, of course, have appeared in a lot more shows and movies, some more celebrated than those I've seen.

Yes, ctg,there will be a season 3 but with the C-19 pandemic no bets on when it will air.

Reactions: ctg
Shawn Ashmore (Lamplighter): who only looked familiar because he is the twin brother of Aaron Ashmore, who played Johnny Jaqobis on Killjoys and Steve Jinks on Warehouse 13

Shawn Ashmore played Iceman in the X-Men films. So he's done ice and fire now.

Elisabeth Shue was in Karate Kid.

Shawn Ashmore played Iceman in the X-Men films. So he's done ice and fire now.
:LOL:
Elisabeth Shue was in Karate Kid.
She also got several best actress nominations for her performance in Leaving Las Vegas. Unfortunately, she didn't win, but she has amassed a long list of credits since Adventures in Babysitting.

I just blazed through season 1. An interesting episode 1 and then I thought episode 2 and 3 with translucent were great. The damaged "superheroes" is quite fun, but gets overdone overall as the season progresses. Especially the dolphin stuff. But of course it is comic booked based. Not much excitement in the show though really.

Unloved, but tough, strugglers playing detective to uncover the big corporate and fake hero injustices. So not so different to many others. That said it definitely has its moments and is a worthy watch on these days when we are going through the TV series archives. I think the characters of Butcher, Hughie, Frenchie etc are much more interesting than the super hero characters. But that may be because I am not big on superhero stories.

I watched the finale of season 1 after the above post and enjoyed it. Also I am happy to say season 2 is a significant improvement! Less of the poor parts and more of the good parts. Definitely more action and drama in this one. The Deep's storyline still not great, but otherwise an enjoyable comic book style series.

In Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s Herogasm, a limited spin-off series of The Boys, Wee Hughie and the rest of the Boys set out to infiltrate the titular bacchanalia that Vought throws every year for its corporate-branded superheroes. Away from the prying eyes of the public, Herogasm gives Vought’s capes a chance to let their hair down even further and freely indulge in the kinds of superhuman debauchery that the company usually works hard to discourage them from.

Though Amazon’s live-action adaptation hasn’t been shy about sex in its past two seasons, showrunner Eric Kripke says that the upcoming third season’s riff on Herogasm will introduce a new level of explicitness that, when initially proposed, gave Amazon pause. In a recent interview with the Wrap, Kripke described how The Boys’ successful track record of coming just shy of doing too much while also telling a solid story was ultimately what led to his ideas being approved.

“I think when I first pitched it, I said, ‘Guys, here’s the episode and it’s called ‘Herogasm.’” Kripke said. “And Andie Green and Katie Graves and the rest of the Amazon executives, I think there was just sort of a sigh of resignation, you know? They’re just like resigned,” Kripke said. “They’re like, ‘Look, you’ve really proven yourself over two years. We knew it was only a matter of time.’”

Though it should likely be taken with a grain of salt, Kripke described some of what’s been shot for season three as X-rated, and said that the creative team’s approach to this arc as a whole required a fair amount of restraint in what’s canonically a very adult, and at times sexually graphic story.

Could they take it to a level of mayhem we saw last time in the Preacher?

I hope they do. I loved Preacher.

I enjoyed Preacher at first, but I think it lost a lot of narrative energy after season 1. A friend of mine who is a massive fan of the comics really didn't like it at all.

Simon Pegg

The casting of Pegg as Hughie's dad is a really nice touch as he was the model for Hugh Campbell Jr. in the comics.

latest

Honestly, I thought the first series of The Boys was better, but S2 still had its good bits. Interested to find out what they do in S3.

Reactions: ctg

What will S3 bring? One helpful clue is that the first S3 episode is entitled "Payback." In the comics, that's the name of an earlier Vought group of superheroes, loosely based on Marvel's Avengers. Payback was the successor to The Avenging Squad, which was destroyed in the Battle of the Bulge in the 1940s. Payback members include Eagle the Archer, who appeared in S2 of the TV series (played by Langston Kerman). He's the one who recruited Deep and A-Train to the Church of the Collective before the cult turned against him. A fictional Seven on 7 news report last summer informed us that Eagle had quit the superhero gig after the Church publicly humiliated him. He's now trying to become a rapper.

Two other Payback members are joining the cast in S3: Soldier Boy (Jensen Ackles)—briefly name-checked in S2 as a colleague of Stormfront back when she went by Liberty—and Crimson Countess (Laurie Holden), who has heat-related powers. There is no news yet on whether we'll meet other Payback members such as Tek Knight, Swatto, and Mind Droid (who is romantically involved with Crimson Countess in the comics). But the odds seem good.

We also know that the third season will incorporate one of the comic's most shocking storylines: Herogasm. In this standalone comic miniseries, the Boys infiltrate Vought's annual superhero party, which turns out to be just one long weekend of kinky sex and drug use on a secluded island. Fans had been daring showrunner Eric Kripke to bring that storyline to the screen, and he confirmed on Twitter last January that the sixth S3 episode will indeed be titled "Herogasm."

I love that Jennifer just noticed it. To me Homelander was never right. He was always a pompous idiot with super powers. But maybe this in this series we'll get him going completely bonkers and acting on his illusions on slaughtering people willy-nilly, because nobody can put a stop to his actions.