Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

spoiler>>> The ridiculous time paradox will be whatever they can come up with to get past it, then Arnie and whoever will run and run while a lot of firepower and effects go off, until good Terminator Arnie will either survive or die heroically and sacrificially at the end.

I really enjoyed Dark Fate, apart from some contrast problems that I'm not sure were down to the film or the cinema screen.

Terminator, Terminator 2 and Dark Fate would make a great trilogy. Dark Fate isn't as good as the first two, but it's easily the best of the rest, IMO.

I really enjoyed Dark Fate, apart from some contrast problems that I'm not sure were down to the film or the cinema screen.

Terminator, Terminator 2 and Dark Fate would make a great trilogy. Dark Fate isn't as good as the first two, but it's easily the best of the rest, IMO.

Do you think there's chance that they might do more films in the Terminator series ?

There is no way they will do another Terminator movie in this line. It just won't happen. It's going to lose 100+ million dollars at the box office. It's widely hated by Terminator fans regardless of Rotten Tomatoes. It's even doing bad in China. The strong Chinese box office of Terminator Genisys is the main reason this was made in the first place.

It will be the 3rd Terminator movie in a row that was suppose to be the first of a new trilogy.
It going to end with about twice the gross of the original movie but cost 31 times the budget (also a 100+ million plus advertising).
If the cost wasn't shared by 2 US studios and 1 Chinese, it could have bankrupted a studio.

I finally saw this and it was a little different to what I had expected. So, this is a totally new timeline and therefore, there is plenty of room for further films. In fact, the future was left completely unchanged because this Terminator came from an entirely different future timeline. I did like that I was wrong-footed by that after the introduction. I liked the addition of the augmented human. I liked that it was opened up to an ensemble cast. I liked that the mission wasn't to protect an unborn child. However, it really was just a very long chase, and as such, it still remained yet another slightly different reworking of the original film and sequels.

I would like to see further films with these new characters, but they have to move into the future with a different plot. There are too many, 'Terminator hunting' films.

Oddly enough, I saw it for the first time the other day. It's simply a rehash of the original Terminator film but without any of the intensity or emotional drama. There are some good action sequences but it comes in well below the first two. I would rank them thusly:
T1 > T2 > T: Salvation > T: Dark Fate > T3 > T: Genisys

Only a couple of reactions to this film - anyone else see it? A positive or negative experience?
Saw it just last weekend. I thought it tied with Genysis for the worst Terminator movie. When I first saw the trailer, I could feel how it was going to be. It was just a copy and paste movie; shallow characters, a terrible script, implausible action, the least threatening Terminator of the lot, and just very, very predictable. Grace, the enhanced human... totally wasted opportunity to have viewers thinking SHE was the Terminator, just like when Arnie appears in T2. I thought Mackenzie David as Grace came off okay. She's a good actress from what I've seen her in.

It's just a common modern flaw to have action stakes just too high. If you don't feel any threat to the characters or pain or shock, then it's just a faceless fight between CGI-enhanced non-humans (shades of Matrix 3 final face-off). This was a perfect opportunity to keep it simple and dial it right back to make it a road movie style thing of Sarah Connor leading these characters around off the grid. And keep the Terminator simple. This one can duplicate itself, for Christ's sake.

Nothing beats the original for quality film-making, tension, a tight script and value for money. T2 was overblown IMO but okay. T3 was not bad and at least had the courage to play out the original scenario. T4 was totally underwhelming, especially with all the talent on show, but I'd happily watch it again. T5 was just abysmal.

They should have been aiming for the vibe and scope of something like Logan for this one. Not sure Tim Miller, the director, is much cop. Deadpool was fun but got by almost exclusively off Ryan Reynolds performance and the vulgar madcap humour.

I genuinely think this franchise is dead, unless they want to strip it right back and do a TV series again.

The trouble with the Terminator is that there is only ever really one story to tell and it not suitable for a franchise. It should've stopped at T2.

They should do a tv series about the war against the machines, no time travel just apocalypse survival stuff and gunswardeath

They should do a tv series about the war against the machines, no time travel just apocalypse survival stuff and gunswardeath
Yes, a higher budget and ideally better written falling skies. But with the robots emerging rather than the aliens arriving. Or maybe that is westworld. I think there i still space for these kind of shows.

I've downloaded this today and have watched the first 30 minutes so far.

I'm enjoying it a lot - who cares about how it ties in with the other T films?

We've got killer robots chasing people, brill!

iu