The WIRED guide to the best sci-fi movies of all time

M. Robert Gibson

is
Supporter

Despite its arbitrary starting point of 1970, thus excluding 2001, not a bad list
However, notable by its absence is Star Wars, perhaps giving a little more fuel to the fire of the argument that Star Wars is not science fiction. Not an opinion held by me I hasten to point out, but that's a discussion for an entirely different thread ;)

In all fairness, myself and others are 'all star warsed out'. There are a lot of really good, more obscure scifi movies, while star wars related media and merchandise is everywhere, to the point of saturation.
Could be considered a reason not to include it.

However, notable by its absence is Star Wars, perhaps giving a little more fuel to the fire of the argument that Star Wars is not science fiction. Not an opinion held by me I hasten to point out, but that's a discussion for an entirely different thread ;)

Space Opera is, in my eyes, the enchanting, starry-haired sister of science fiction. Sometimes she whirls towards him, other times she dances towards her other partner, fantasy.

I think there's a possibility of two definitions, one for the layperson who sees space and spaceships, and therefore 'it's Sci-fi'...but if you are in the business of dissecting the genre or actually producing stuff in that area, you should know the difference, so I'm happy to not have it on a list of Science fiction films :)