Game of Thrones: 8.02 - A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

ctg

weaver of the unseen
MYqR83Y.jpg

The battle at Winterfell is approaching. Jaime is confronted with the consequences of the past. A tense interaction between Sansa and Daenerys follows.

in many ways this was a filler episode, yet it was full of emotion. You could feel the sadness of it all hanging in the air.
I have this stinking feeling Sansa will not make it out of Winterfell. That whole Lady of Winterfell thing.

Last edited:
There was a lot of can service in this episode. Fodder for Gendrya shippers, Brienne being Knighted and referencing her ancestor Ser Duncan The Tall with the title A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Reactions: ctg
Honestly this episode would have been great had we had a fully fledged season. Now one has to wonder how they will cram the rest of it all in. The battle of winterfell, it's aftermath, next battle with cersei and golden company involved. And the ending.

I love that Jaime was defended by Brienne and his brother, but eventually he was pardoned by the Warden of the North by saying "We need all the men we can get." It's true, but they need weapons to fight the dead, or then they'll have to make extra-ordinary things to stop the advance. And although I said weapons, they need men to use them. It's just the Kingslayer isn't the same man he used to be, and what good is to have an enemy general - nobody trusts - leading the men, if they don't trust him?

Should Jaime be given a spear instead of his ancestral sword to be send to be part of the Unsullied army?

Jaime's and Tyrion's reunion was far better and long time full fillment of the wishes and Tyrion rightly grilled his brother for him being ignorant. "You always knew what she was, but you didn't care," he said. But was exactly the same message Three Eyed Raven gave the Prince Brave.

Then again the reunion with Brianne went in same time as it seems every one in Winterfell has a beef with the Kingslayer. They all expected more of him than what he was able to deliver. He then confessed to Lady Brianne: "That I'm not the fighter that I used to be," almost as if he was asking for forgiveness.

There is no forgiveness for him standing besides Cercei and not doing enough to stop the monstrosity from becoming reality. In a way I wish they would have taken his eyes instead of his hand to teach him humility. As a blind man, Jaime would have been forced to hear the world as it is instead of experiencing normally.

Sansa said, "Men do stupid for women. They are easily manipulated."

Well, ain't that the truth?

Later on Tyrion confessed on Eve of the Battle for the Winterfell that: ",their father would be disappointed to find out that they were going to end their days by defending Winterfell." That is another truth. He would be supremely pissed.

Maybe more so that Jaime knighted Lady Brianne. And she went to claim that "No woman can be knight. It's a tradition." I am ready to forgive everything that Jaime has done in the past for the moment he gave to the Knight of Seven Kingdoms. It made smile and cry at the same time.

SZhwqHR.jpg

The boy who lived surely has been been busy, but everyone else he underestimated Arya. Then again, for being a boy, he didn't even see how impressed she looked, when Genrdry demoed one of the axes.

He tried his best to tell the girl that the Dead are lethal, "like Death," he said. Yet, even then he was ready to abandon his "couple of thousand of these" project for Aryas special weapon. Doesn't the girl understand how long it can take to make functional weapon?

It took him more than a day to get the weapon done and at the end it was kind of nice that Arya gave her virginity to the Unknown King. All that time he could have been making weapons for the final battle, but in the light of the humanity it's right that he got the Girl.

BSogLp5.jpg

Why did he had to come to Winterfell and how did he arrive not soon after Jaime to the Winterfell, even though he was farther away than Jaime when he left King's Landing? Does the Iron Island's have a teleporter?

2kdxCRa.jpg

This scene with an orphan girl and Davos made me cry so much. The girl looked much like the dead princess and I thought for a second that gods were playing with Sir Davos. It was as if he was given a visit by a cherub before the final fight.

R045NNE.jpg

"Our enemy doesn't die. Doesn't stop. We cannot beat them in straight line. There's too many of them to fight. So what can we do?" Oh man, the horde is coming and there's nothing to stop them other than semi-magical weapons and two dragons. This is sort of dream situation that zombie survivalists loves to dive into, but yeah, the way they set up the table shows that there's not much of a chance of winning anything. There simply are too many and we don't know for sure of how many the NightKing can resurrect. All we know that every man who dies by their hands raises up as Dead.

Luckily they have the Three Eyed Raven, an undying God, a memory of the past and the present, possibly the future. And he claimed that the only way to stop the Dead is if the NightKing comes to finish the ultimate task, and begin his "endless night."

One thing though, I don't understand what good the Crypt is going to do, if the Dead overruns the castle? All the Living above will be turned. No second chances. So, aren't those people going to be trapped in there, with nowhere to go? If that is the case than why don't they head south and eventually try to get a boat to sail over the Narrow Sea?

Surely if all of this happened before, some of them became evacuetees and eventually hated migrants. Grey Worm was correct about that when he tried to get his love to flee back to where they came back.

I like the character development in this episode, I bet there will complaints from some that it was not 'comic book' enough!

Welp 82 min. next episode , big battle ....
My thought... that can not be the peak of the narrative with 3 Ep left.
So that leaves 3 approximate 80 min. episodes left
I am concerned how they wrap all this up , seems there needs to be another battle and I don't think the NK will be removed next episode.

There was a lot of can service in this episode. Fodder for Gendrya shippers, Brienne being Knighted and referencing her ancestor Ser Duncan The Tall with the title A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
For Pete's Sake! I really hate autocorrect! That's 'fan service' not 'can service'

I've got to agree that, with the GOT endgame approaching even more rapidly than the Army of the Dead, this episode may have been a luxury the series can ill-afford. Still, it was a worthwhile effort in relationship development that further gelled the components of the alliance hoping to defeat the Night King.

Up last but not least was the big monkey wrench Jon threw into Dany's lifelong career plans. Dany was still trying to wrap her mind around the concept of being second in line for the Iron Throne when the blaring horn announced the arrival of the dead. I guess that means they will both survive the next battle if discussion of their options is to continue.

Sansa appeared to accept Dany's argument that she wouldn't be in Winterfell to fight beside Jon if she was doing the manipulating. I noticed that another convenient interruption left unanswered Sansa's question of the North's freedom under Dany's rule.
I loved this exchange.
Dany: I know he (Jon) is true to his word. He’s only the second man in my life I could say that about.
Sansa: Who was the first?
Dany: Someone taller.

I also loved Arya's interrogation of Gendry's love life. Was she trying to establish his skill level or his morality before deciding whether to have her first and possibly last intimate experience? His answer of "three" previous partners apparently fell into that sweet spot between fumble-fingered and sleazy.

Jaime's bestowing knighthood upon Brienne was more than adequate repayment for her support in his petition to join the fight (as well as avoiding a messy revenge execution), but I think things go much deeper than that. Now that Cersei has officially put Jaime on her death list, has the way been cleared for these two to consummate a smoldering love affair? Was his declaration that he would be honored to serve under her command, if she would have him, a declaration of love? Tormund is going to be very disappointed,

Furthermore, has anyone ever seen a nobler, more ferocious child than Lady Lyanna? I'm afraid that her death scene is guaranteed.

Finally,
I'm looking forward to Bran looking at Jaime and saying: "The things I do for love"
Nice call. Do you have something of a Three-Eyed Raven in you?

Yeah, Lyanna Mormont has 'Redshirt' written all over her. And Jorah will have to dispatch her walking corpse.

I really liked that they finally put complete lyrics to 'Jenny Of Oldstones'. I can see why The Ghost of High Heart always cried when she heard it

Up last but not least was the big monkey wrench Jon threw into Dany's lifelong career plans. Dany was still trying to wrap her mind around the concept of being second in line for the Iron Throne when the blaring horn announced the arrival of the dead.

I read that situation that she didn't like the competition, especially as she started the episode by reciting the old tale of Mad King's days. Jon never set his mind to be the King, she however became the Queen and liked it.

Lyanna Mormont has 'Redshirt' written all over her. And Jorah will have to dispatch her walking corpse.

I hope not, because then everyone who mentioned wanting to fight is going to be turned. Maybe they are going to be true to George and everyone dies. The NightKing wins without uttering a line in eight seasons.

Last edited:
I read that situation that she didn't like the competition, especially as she started the episode by reciting the old tale of Mad King's days. Jon never set his mind to be the King, she however became the Queen and liked it.

As you all have noted, all those points and more made it a very nice episode... the knighting particularly memorable. However, as to DT not liking the competition, I'd say that was a mild way of putting it. More so, this season thus far her personality seems to have changed from the great compassionate liberator, to a conqueror. That scene and her clear desire to seek revenge on Jamie(sp?), who STILL did not defend his actions showing the honor he holds was disappointing.

Right or wrong
, 'I'm' getting the sense that power is becoming more important to her than changing the world for the better with it. Like her little smirk when the dragons flew over terrifying the people. Absolute power, corruption and all that coming to mind.

K2

My gods that was a slow episode. The reason is not with the pace but the fact that we know too much. We already know more than the characters do themselves, hence the endless explanations and non-revelations. What we really needed to have was some kind of huge 'truth or dare game' so that they could all get up and tell everyone all their secrets. Once over their secrets they would all be back onto the same page.

I don't think that in regard to the iron Throne succession, that Dany and Jon is as big a problem as you make out. Of course, Dany is surprised and a little shocked, but she can check it. Since Jon doesn't really want it, then they could rule together like William and Mary did in the UK. The problem lies more with the ladies and gentlemen part of their relationship, them being aunt and nephew.

Coming after last weeks episode it was more of the same but with a bit more meat on the bones. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It looks like Dany is not the going be the 'breaker of wheels' from her conversation with Sansa. Either Jon or Dany dies. I cannot see any other conclusion to that part of the story.

Although it could be seen as somewhat corny I do believe the knighting of Brienne was an excellent scene. The chemistry between her and Jaime fizzles the air. Again one of them is going to kick the bucket in the next episode or so. I imagine it is Brienne as I am firmly in the Jaime kills Cersei camp.

As a character person I loved this episode. It was the best yet. I am so involved with them all now.

I don’t think Jon will win anymore as I always have because I don’t think taking the iron throne is a win for him. I want something more satisfying (which probably means his death).

I think Tyrion and Jaime will be back to back and down to deal with Cersei.

I think Dany is pregnant. Her child is the uniting factor.

The dragons will die. She’ll be mother of a kingdom not dragons.

And Bran will warg into the ice dragon.

But this was brilliant. Set everything up. I want it to be next Monday right now :)

Coming after last weeks episode it was more of the same but with a bit more meat on the bones. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
if last week was a "hello again' how's life been" episode for all the character's being reunited, this was more of a "right we're all going to die, been nice knowing you". which I felt was more meaningful, especially with the battle looming. at least we'll definitely get some action next week... right?

My gods that was a slow episode. The reason is not with the pace but the fact that we know too much. We already know more than the characters do themselves, hence the endless explanations and non-revelations. What we really needed to have was some kind of huge 'truth or dare game' so that they could all get up and tell everyone all their secrets. Once over their secrets they would all be back onto the same page.

I agree with this too - I thought a lot of the dialogue was unnecessary and not that well written. and I realized we've had the jon/aegon revelation 4 times now. Brandon, Brandon-sam, sam-jon, jon-dany. surely this was a bit unnecessary. and I agree that Dany does not seem happy about it all. I get the feeling she is going to do something unforgivable (such as leaving Jon to die) and then die in the battle ahead.

also, there didn't seem a lot of strategy involved in the strategy meeting. it was basically, "right let's put Brandon out in the open and then we'll do stuff."

I thought the knighting scene was very good. I loved Tormund's part in it too.

looking forward to next week, but also not as I'm sure a few key characters I like are not going to make it through.

Nothing really progressed fast enough for me, particularly given how close to the end we are. I wanted more than one Dany-Sansa scene, I wanted more Jon and the north time. Good Jaime time, but eh, that's it.

edit: There's no good reason for them not to abandon the north entirely and lead the dead on a merry dance south, having the Dothraki, dragons and knights engage in hit and run raids on the column to thin out the ranks. They've got the knights of the Eyrie there, so clearly they're onside and that's a better fort, and the further south they go the more it forces Cersei to do something. Of course... the writers believe this is a better story, so fair enough, but I'd like more reason to make the stand at Winterfell.