Goblin Moon / Hobgoblin Night Tarot

I love the Scavengers image -- particularly the nice touch of the hat one of the rowers is wearing -- but I was so bound up in the lovely view, it took me a while to notice there was a body in the water!

It is a lovely view, isn't it. I was quite taken with it when I found it. And ever since I made the trailers for the books (which is to say, for several years) I've been looking for suitable stock photos with someone rowing in an old-style rowboat, but everything I found was much too modern or otherwise unsuitable. And then, this month when I went looking, there was this picture and another on one of the photo sites I frequent. I was very excited! This only had one figure in the boat, and the scavengers obviously have to work in teams of two, but I was able to rectify that (at the same time adding the other floating objects).

THE GOBLIN MOON

“When the Goblin Moon rises strange things happen.” All the story world is in a state of flux as the elliptical orbit of their moon brings it close enough to bring dangerously high tides, earthquakes, and other natural cataclysms. Driven from their burrows by underground tremors and flooding from the river, the diminutive hobgoblins of Thornburg are said to run mad. It is a time of unease and superstition.

This is another card that heralds rapid, sometimes drastic, change. It also symbolizes dreams, nightmares, illusions, and delusions, as well as (in a more favorable light) intuition and instinct. Its influence over the Querent will be even more powerful if cards with overlapping interpretations, such as The River or Time, also appear in the spread. The Querent can harness these changes for his or her benefit, but first it will be necessary to see beyond the heavy fog of error and confusion.

Indeed, this is not a time for trusting everything seen and heard, for not all things will be as they appear. The Querent’s own innermost instincts will be a much surer guide. It may seem like forever before the world returns to normal, but this is yet another mirage; before long, the way ahead will be much clearer.

Reversed this card indicates a period where faculties of intuition, spirituality, and creativity are heightened. The Querent would be wise to make good use of the opportunities provided by the sharpening of these qualities, but should not—in the fever of inspiration—give into an accompanying temptation to abandon all practical considerations. Our inner and outer worlds function best when balance is maintained.

Copyright 2019 Teresa Edgerton

COURTSHIP

This card symbolizes the early stages of a courtship, the moonlight-and-roses, getting-to-know-you period. (This is not always a romantic relationship, though most of the time this card turns up it will be. It could be a business partnership, for instance, or a company that is wooing the Querent to work for them. It could also be the beginning of a close and intense friendship. Alternatively, this could describe a “second honeymoon” in an established relationship, a romantic retreat together, or anything meant to help the parties involved reconnect and build a stronger bond when they had been drifting apart. As usual, the rest of the spread should tell you which it is—and, as always, use your intuition.)

Depending on the specific nature of the relationship involved, this courtship period may or may not lead to something permanent or a commitment on either side—which is why it is called “courtship” and not “marriage.” In fact, this card advises the Querent to take things slowly, so that each party understands exactly what the other has to offer. Many relationships, which might have worked, which could have been permanent and fulfilling, can fall apart because of unrealistic expectations. Enjoy what this stage has to offer, the giddy thrill of being wanted, the dance of courtship, but it is wisest not to let those feelings overwhelm common sense. Indeed, this card may describe an intense process of self-examination where the Querent must decide what they really want, what is not negotiable, and where compromise is possible. Whether or not this ever goes beyond the courtship stage, to achieve such clarity would be of great value.

Reversed this card symbolizes a relationship that is ending. It no longer offers the Querent what they truly wish for—perhaps it never did. It may not be too late to end things amicably. An effort to do so could well lead to something being salvaged: a friendship from a romantic relationship, a useful contact from a business one. However, this should NOT involve all the compromises being on the Querent’s side, nor should it involve being drawn back into something that no longer serves their deepest needs.

Probably the last card I'll be posting for a while, since I have some things I need to catch up with in the next few weeks.

THE CLOCK TOWER

The clock tower is one of the buildings in Hobb’s Church that are undermined by hobgoblins gnawing on wooden piers and beams in floors and foundations. The whole town is in an uproar as more and more of the buildings begin to tilt. Meanwhile, thieving by these mischievous creatures has apparently increased, as small items are continually going missing: bits of lace and ribbon; handkerchiefs, rings and bracelets; thimbles, pins, and needles, etc. But the New World hobgoblins are not the same species as their Old World counterparts; early settlers mistook them based on a superficial resemblance and that mistake has been perpetuated ever since. It takes the compassion and courage of Sera (acting on hints provided by the ghost of that eccentric scholar Izrael Barebones) to learn the secret of these creatures. But will she do so in time to save both the buildings and the hobgoblins?

This card symbolizes plans and projects being undermined by misunderstandings, and lack of cooperation or compromise. Though the Querent will already be aware that something is going wrong, the why and how will not be as evident, as everyone involved is too much engaged with scrambling for advantage or assigning the blame to others, rather than identifying the real problem (or problems) and working together to fix what needs fixing. If it is not addressed VERY soon it will be too late to salvage anything, but it is not too late to prevent a complete disaster just yet.

The best solution would be for the Querent to find a way to make allies of those who are currently working at cross purposes—though, if their aims are too much in opposition this might not be possible. In either case, keep in mind that time is short. Shed all preconceptions, take a fresh look at things NOW, and formulate a new plan based on the present facts rather than on past hopes or wishful thinking.

Reversed, the clock tower has fallen. It is too late to prevent the collapse of hopes and plans. Whether there will be a chance to rebuild, or a necessity to move on and begin anew elsewhere, it is important for the Querent to discover exactly what went wrong, in order to prevent the same thing happening all over again.

Ooh, I somehow missed the ones at the end of April. That's a gorgeous backdrop to the courting one, and I love the clock tower -- a wonderful piece.

You do realise that I'm becoming desperate to have the tarot read for me with these cards!

Thanks! Yes, I love the background for the courtship card. Had a bit of trouble setting up that one in my living room, though. (Just kidding. It's a picture of a room in a very famous European palace.)

Unfortunately, I think it will be a long while before the deck is completed and ready for readings (as well as however many of the major cards I decide to do, there are still dozens of the minor arcana).

And, finally, two new cards. Both them rather unpleasant (though colorful) individuals from the books.

First up:

THE FIREBRAND

The figure here is the itinerant preacher Moses Tynsdale, otherwise known as the Duchess’s spy, Euripides Hooke. When events in Hobb’s Church move toward crisis, it is he who stokes the flames of anger and prejudice with his impassioned rhetoric, inciting violence and discord on all sides, not because of any personal convictions of his own but because he knows that a state of chaos best serves his role as the Duchess’s agent.

He is shown here outside a church because Tynsdale (or Hooke) has no parish, no congregation. As Francis Skelbrooke—who knew him as a much younger man—explains it, “no sooner ordained than defrocked,” for there is a scandal involving murder and black magic in the erstwhile clergyman’s past. Now he uses his skills as an orator to manipulate others by first creating fear and then offering the supposed solution—which invariably serves him and those who employ him far better than it ever could benefit those who fall under his influence. He is shown with the beginnings of a mob listening raptly to his harangue. They are already frightened because the very foundations of their town seem to be crumbling and there appears to be no other solution but the mass extermination of the hobgoblins. These men are in no mood to consider that the New World hobs might be sentient creatures, capable of being reasoned with; they are angry and want a violent outlet for that anger. Besides, accepting that the hobs are not quite what they have thought them to be will rattle their internal worlds as their external world is already being rattled.

This card symbolizes fear itself, the kind that drives us to do things that we are later ashamed of—if, that is, we can admit the truth of what we have done or allowed to happen, rather than suppressing it and thus bearing the canker of our unacknowledged guilt forever. When this card turns up in a reading, the only way to combat its influence is through courage and integrity, tolerance and compassion, for the only true danger that it symbolizes is the very fear that the Firebrand—whoever he (or she) might happen to be in the Querent’s orbit—himself engenders.

Reversed the card symbolizes someone with a shameful perhaps even criminal past, a a history of many closely-held secrets. Yet even further back than that was a life of idealism and sincerely held convictions, before he allowed himself to be led down so many dark pathways he was eventually persuaded there was no going back. This person is not, however, entirely beyond reformation, IF he can only be convinced that the mistakes of his past have not rendered him irredeemable.
The Firebrand.jpg

THE IMPOSTER

This card is represented by Jarl Skogsrå, the mysterious foreign nobleman who woos Elsie. His origins are obscure and even his title is suspect. He was “a middle-aged dandy in high leather boots like a cavalry officer. Except for the boots there was nothing military about him. He wore his hair unpowdered and neatly clubbed at the back, but the front hung loose in dark golden lovelocks; his garments were laced, fringed, and be-ribboned to a remarkable degree; and he carried a tiny black fan. To many a susceptible maiden, he was a perfect figure of romance.” Nevertheless, Sera, Hermes Budge, and the old men at the bookshop all sense something slippery, something treacherous in his demeanor. Yet he is more dangerous to Elsie than even they suspect, being a creature of wicked obsession. Meanwhile, there are many he meets who fall for his gentlemanly appearance and flamboyant charm.

This card symbolizes the power of outward appearances to lull us into trusting the wrong people. When it appears in a spread someone may be trying to swindle or otherwise cheat the Querent. Especially be wary of anyone whose attentions appear too fulsome and flattering, the suitor who promises and expects too much too soon, or the salesman who presses a binding contract that must be signed NOW before there is time to give the matter full consideration.

Reversed this card reminds the Querent to look beyond the obvious, past the superficial aspects of character, reminds them also that an outwardly pleasant manner does not always indicate a trustworthy individual.

The person we like and believe in because of an appealing appearance and agreeable manner is not necessarily a good person, while the person who is unattractive and socially awkward is not necessarily a bad one. There may be some matter close at hand where people are taking sides, where it is important for the Querent to look into the actual facts and weigh them without prejudice, rather than being blinded by the popularity of one individual, the obscurity of another.

Or the Querent may be obliged to choose between two people for a job or a promotion. Remember that the person who is good at placing any past accomplishments in a favorable light might not be as qualified as the one who has been quietly and efficiently doing most of the work.

This week, I begin to introduce some of the court cards. Like other Tarot decks, this one is divided into the Major Arcana and the Lesser Arcana (including the "pip" cards and four court cards, most like a set of playing cards, except that there is one extra).

COURT CARDS—STEEL

KING, QUEEN, PRINCE, AND PRINCESS

This suit is represented by, among other things, needles, pins, and scissors (for mending or creating out of whole cloth), the surgeon’s lancet (for healing), and a variety of defensive weapons (daggers, swords, pistols). All this should be reflected in interpretations of the court cards for this suit. The more favorable aspects would be emphasized if one of these cards appears upright in the spread, some of the less favorable, least flattering, or painful, if a card comes up reversed, Near the end of the reading, valuable insights to the Querent's situation can sometimes be gained by determining if one suit dominates, and if it does, consider what influences the suit as a whole may bring. (As always, the reader should use a certain amount to intuition in in doing so, and not confine him or herself to interpreting the symbols literally.)

The individuals symbolized by this suit tend to begin life as idealists: sensitive and compassionate. Many are drawn to careers in medicine, or to pursue a religious vocation, while others may be reformers, politicians, social workers, or work in law enforcement. For those who follow none of these life paths, their desire to make the world a better place often leads to volunteer work on the side, or to other philanthropic activities.

As they grow older they often become more judgmental, less flexible in their thinking. Many gravitate toward positions of authority, at first because they think that working within the system will allow them to better serve others, but as time goes on often because they become more and more convinced that they are the only ones who know how things can be accomplished, the only ones capable of seeing things done correctly. From trying to protect others, some gradually move on to seek control for control’s sake. In such cases they still have their ideals, but they have become embittered because others have disappointed them too many times.

Nevertheless, the sensitivity and vulnerability is still there behind the face they present to the world, which is why those who self-identify with this suit often go (metaphorically) armed in order to protect themselves from emotional pain. This, of course, can backfire, as keeping other people at a distance can also lead to a painful sense of isolation, even when the isolation is largely self-inflicted.

Only time for one new card this week:

THE INDIGO APE

This is the Duchess’s pet, Sebastian, playing in a winter garden at the Wichtelberg. “‘An indigo ape, very rare indeed … an undoubted novelty.’ That is how she explained him to her friends. Only the Duchess (and possibly Sebastian himself) knew that there had never been, and probably would never be, another of his kind.” Only the Duchess knows the miniature ape’s origins, and she doesn’t speak of them.

This is the wild card of the deck, symbolizing enigma, that which is unknown, that which is unexpected and cannot be planned for. Its meaning is the same whether the picture is upright or reversed.

It signifies that some entirely unexpected reversal is about to happen. Its position in the spread should give an idea in what area of the Querent’s life that reversal is going to occur. The other cards in the spread should indicate whether the effect of that reversal will be good or ill, or just … different. The card itself is silent on that point.

Since the changes it brings are all unforeseen and allow no preparation, the only way to deal with them in advance is to make a firm resolve to adapt oneself to and to weather the event when it occurs.

THE INVALID

The figure depicted here is Elsie Vorder. Elsie is just sixteen: a perilous age for a young girl whose parents once offended a powerful fairy. And yet, ironically, though her thwarted godmother plots Elsie’s downfall, all the while pretending to take the girl’s best interests most dearly to heart, this is not the greatest danger that Elsie faces. That is her own mother, who several years ago, convincing herself that some minor and fleeting ailment of Elsie’s was something very serious, something exotic and … interesting … has since plagued her with a long series of visits to quack doctors and bizarre—often painful, frequently actually harmful—medicines and faddish treatments. (The era of Goblin Moon is roughly equivalent to our 18th century, so bad medicine is very bad indeed!) As a result, Elsie has never known a healthy day since, while Clothilde Vorder has discovered the social advantages to be gained from the possession of a sickly—possibly even doomed and dying—daughter (some unkind souls have gone so far as to speculate that Clothilde has her gown for Elsie’s funeral already picked out). For, of course, in Clothilde’s mind it is she who deserves sympathy for the cruelties Elsie has experienced at the hands of her doctors. “You little know what I have suffered on Elsie's behalf,” she tells Jarl Skogsrå. “I believe we have seen every doctor, apothecary, herbalist, and chirurgeon in Thornburg, and the torments they have inflicted on my poor child are truly heart-breaking—the bleedings—the vile medicines—the horrid diets. I vow, I am a woman who has endured much.” As though it is she who exhausts herself at the bedside of her daughter, tenderly nursing her back to health, instead of leaving her in the hands of an army of nursemaids and other servants, whenever the girl is too weak to leave her room, and then taking her under the maternal wing and parading her before society as soon as she is recovered just enough to suffer the exhausting round of parties and calls.

Elsie is shown here being figuratively menaced by her medicine bottles, though it is really the people in her life—with the exception of her cousin and devoted companion, Sera Vorder—who most endanger her.

This card signifies someone who has been smothered and coddled to an unhealthy degree, the victim of dysfunctional relationships with family and/or friends who pretend to want what is best for her, but who are mostly too busy paying attention to the images THEY project, how kind, caring, and self-sacrificing, how wise and knowledgeable they appear when in the Invalid’s company. Taught to see herself as physically delicate, or naive and weak-minded, therefore incapable of making the least decision for herself, she (it might be a he, but most likely a female) has become docile and dependent. Yet simply to have survived all that she has been through, she must have reserves that even she little suspects. (In Elsie’s case, this is Sera’s opinion, but it is not, alas, a popular one. How boring, how commonplace, Elsie would be as a healthy, active teenage girl.)

In a more general sense, this card symbolizes co-dependent relationships, relationships that are over-protective, emotional manipulation, and an atmosphere of overall dysfunction.

When this card appears in a spread, it indicates that it is time that this person be encouraged to take more responsibility for her own health and well-being, to speak up and be heard, to become more her own person. If the Querent is the one doing the smothering (however well-meaning) they must learn to be less dependent on being depended upon and concentrate more on living their own life and less on living vicariously through another. This may also be a pattern the Querent has adopted in successive relationships, and if so it is definitely time to break that cycle. If the image on the card symbolizes the Querent her- (or his-) self then it will be up to them to assert more independence, difficult though that may be at first. In some cases, the Querent may be genuinely ill—or have been so in the past—in which case the suggestion here is NOT to start ignoring professional advice and abandoning all medical treatments, but to seek their own advisers instead of letting others pick them, to look for second and perhaps third opinions in order to seek out the very best options, and then play an active role in making any future decisions rather than leaving them solely in the hands of others.

Yet this card may apply to situations where physical health is not an issue. It could refer to any sort of controlling or manipulative relationship, whether it be familial, social, or business. Look to the placement of the card and to the other cards present to determine which of these is the case. The individual symbolized by this card is being cribbed, caged, perhaps even abused and/or gaslighted, by someone who is using them to burnish their own image or boost their own self-esteem. This is not a wholesome relationship for either party, but especially not for the one being controlled and manipulated. It must change, or come to an end, before worse damage is done.

But there is a brighter side, as mentioned above, in that the individual in question is actually much stronger than it might appear. It will take unaccustomed determination to assert that strength, but it IS there to be drawn upon.

Reversed, this card symbolizes a tendency toward hypochondria, or a weakness for fad diets and popular (but unproven) health movements, the more extreme the more attractive. A more balanced and informed approach would be beneficial.

The Invalid.jpg

THE ORPHAN

This is Seramarias (Sera) Vorder, Elsie’s cousin and closest friend. Since the age of thirteen she has lived as a poor relation in the Vorder household. Before that she lived in genteel poverty with her grandfather, the bookseller and alchemist, Gottfried Jenk. She is pictured on her way to visit her grandfather where he lives in one of the older parts of the city, a district of small shops and decayed gentility.

Circumstances, as well as a naturally strong will, have forced the orphaned Sera to become independent, sensible, determined—in many ways the exact opposite of Elsie. Yet there is an intuitive, mystical side to her personality which she has suppressed, since experiments in magic and alchemy have done her family no good and much harm. She is a skeptic, which is sometimes a very good thing, but sometimes prevents her from seeing what is right there before her. When she first learns the truth about Jarl Skogsrå she very readily dismisses it as a fairy tale, never acknowledging that in her world life often IS a fairy tale—of the darker variety. Her strength and determination, on the other hand, have always served her well. She has a fiery temperament which she has learned to curb, but never gives in to bullying.

This card in a spread indicates independence, self-sufficiency, common sense, which is there for the Querent to draw on, rather than yield to the blandishments of those who would wish to rule or take advantage. It is a favorable card for anyone striking out in a new and independent enterprise. On the other hand, if the position of the card indicates that it refers to another individual, this person could prove a valuable ally, loyal, trustworthy, and resourceful, especially if a partner is needed to challenge an abusive authority.

Reversed, this card symbolizes a person who had spent too much of her time as a child shouldering responsibilities that more rightly belonged to the adults around her— had they chosen to address them. Having missed out on too many childhood joys, she should use the relative freedom of adulthood to explore what she has missed—but not go too far the other way and spend the rest of her life trying to reclaim her lost childhood.

The Orphan.jpg

Thank you!

As for the bottles in this card, no, I bought them for the purpose, but I also have other plans for them, possibly even in future cards. I have lots of uses for such little props. We've bought a lot of things for doing this, but they are all the kind of objects and artifacts I will afterwards enjoy having. The bottles that have appeared in some of the other cards were acquired at various times and various places, but I've had them so long I don't quite remember where. Mostly they have played the role of poison bottles.

I was surprised when I was writing up the descriptions of the cards that I had much more to say about Elsie than Sera, which I thought odd because in the books Sera is much more of a leading character. But Elsie's situation is more complicated, and I could see how for the purposes of the cards I simply had more to say and explain.

But I did know that I wanted to post these two cards at the same time, because they are opposites in so many ways, and yet the two girls are such devoted friends and their lives so closely entwined.

I'll be slowing down on my production of the cards for a while because my computer with Photoshop is on one coast and I and my laptop are on another. But I do have a few ahead, which I'll be posting one at a time at intervals. This week we have:

NATURAL PHILOSOPHY

… or as we would say, the sciences. In the 17th and18th centuries (the period on which the era and culture of Goblin Moon and Hobgoblin Night is largely modeled), and for many centuries earlier, natural philosophy included astronomy, medicine, chemistry, botany, biology, geology, and other studies we would recognize as scientific, as well as many things that we now would not consider science but magic or occultism, such as astrology and alchemy. Wealthy men interested in the sciences made great collections of shells, bones, gemstones, and much more, including man-made artifacts from far distant lands of which little was known but much (a great deal of it fantastical indeed) was conjectured. They kept these collections in closets or rooms known as Cabinets of Curiosity, which were the precursors of our museums of natural history.

Many of the characters in Goblin Moon and Hobgoblin Night dabble in or are deeply involved in the study of Natural Philosophy: Jenk the alchemist, Mistress Sancreedi the apothecary, the Duke of Zar-Wildungen, members of the speculative branch of the Glassmakers’ Guild, and more—which in turn impacts the plot in many and various ways. Which is why I was inspired to include such a card as this in the deck.

This card symbolizes experimentation, observation, and discovery. It is a favorable card for anyone involved in, or contemplating, any sort of scientific endeavor. It presages discoveries, though possibly more academic than practical in nature. It may be for others to devise the practical applications, while this will provide the groundwork on which those applications will be based. (Although if certain other cards appear in the spread, it may be for the Querent to follow up on those as well a little later.)

But of course, since the natural philosophers did not limit themselves to what we would consider sciences, but were intellectual magpies as you might say, this card may be interpreted in a more general sense as presaging inquiries and discoveries of all sorts. It encourages the Querent to ask questions, because if he or she does, the upcoming days, weeks, and possibly months, will comprise one of those periods where answers are forthcoming, particularly those answers which have been long-awaited and not so easily yielded in the past as they are about to be now.

While some of these early scientists persisted in their studies and made great discoveries, many others were dabblers, moving swiftly from one interest to another and never going into any of them in depth. Reversed, therefore, this card indicates that it is time for the Querent to stop dabbling or spreading his- or herself too thin, make up their mind what they most want to accomplish, and become immersed in that work or study which calls to them most profoundly. Without more focus and dedication nothing of much value will be achieved. It is time to get serious.

Natural Philosophy.jpg

THE LENSMAKER

The figure pictured on this card is the gnome Sammuel Digby Jonas, who owns a shop selling maps and “philosophic instruments”—sextants to mariners, telescopes to astronomers, compasses for travellers—but makes his living principally as a lensmaker, supplying the people of Hobb’s Church with spectacles, magnifying glasses, and the like. Mr. Jonas, as we learn in Hobgoblin Night, is an active and respected member of the Glassmaker’s Guild. He it is who devises the ruby spectacles which allow one to view the hidden signs on the Duchess’s magical parchment; he it is who (with the assistance of Jedidiah Braun) designs and constructs the Celestial Engine, with which they hope to raise the sunken island of the Temple of the Moon. Like most gnomes he is adept at mathematics, intricate gadgetry, and puzzles. Like other gnomes, sometimes he make mechanisms that are more intricate and elaborate than strictly necessary to do the job. They do this principally out of joy in the creation and a desire to challenge themselves, flavored with a bit of a mischievous inclination to baffle others about exactly how their inventions work.

This card is, in some sense, a companion to last week’s card, Natural Philosophy, for it, too is a card of scientific inquiry and discovery, although in this case with more of a slant toward practical applications and useful inventions. (Sharing a spread with that other card, it combines the academic with the practical.)

This is a card of ingenuity and inquiry. There may also be an element of exploration in distant places, generally for the purposes of research or otherwise gaining knowledge which cannot be gained at home. (But be sure to take a map! This card, as you can see, offers several.). It is a favorable card for any mathematical or scientific endeavor the Querent may be engaged in, or for the puzzling out of that which has hitherto proved mysterious. It is likewise a favorable card for any project involving machinery large or small.

The Lensmaker is another mentor card, especially for anyone working in the sciences, mathematics, or mechanical fields. To recognize this person the Querent should look for someone quiet and unassuming, but very knowledgeable.

Gnomes are sensitive about their lack of stature, and tend to stand on their dignity whenever they perceive they are being ignored or slighted. Reversed, therefore, this card warns against seeing slights or insults where none are intended. It is always good to stand up for oneself and require that others show a decent respect, but sometimes there are situations where it is better to assume goodwill despite appearances and to return it, and this card in this position indicates that the Querent will find him- or herself in such a situation. It also warns against over-complicating matters which are actually quite simple.

The Lensmaker.jpg

And I am finally posting some new cards.

COURT CARDS —WOOD

This suit is symbolized by wheels (cart wheels, spinning wheels, etc.), boxes of all sizes and sorts (boxes for keepsakes and secrets, trunks, treasure chests), ships, boats, and books. The suit often symbolizes home and homely things, but also travel (though generally related to work more than recreation).

The court cards of this suit indicate people who are makers, builders, and doers. They are the people who do the world’s work without fanfare, and for this reason are often overlooked early in life, despite their skill and diligence, although later, when their accomplishments have accumulated, recognition may come. They tend to be practical, energetic, sensible, and down-to-earth. If drawn to the arts they frequently do the jobs that support other people’s creativity—agents, publishers, printers, instrument makers, composers, producers, designers, and the like— though if they are artistic themselves they tend to be craftspeople, architects, sculptors, painters, and others who combine artistic vision with a tangible product, rather than performers. They may find careers in transportation or shipping. They are good at jobs that require organization and meticulous attention to detail, but are equally likely to be drawn to those vocations that get their hands dirty, such as gardening or mechanics.

Though not the sort of people who are much prone to flashes of brilliance, they have the patience needed to keep at something however long it takes to reach a breakthrough. Though attached to their homes and families, they are often called on to travel, especially as their skills become more widely known and appreciated. They are good people to have around in a crisis and are often called in to fix what others have broken.

Because they get absorbed in their work and hobbies, and are selective in choosing their friends, they are the sort of people who may have a great many friendly acquaintances but very few to whom they are actually close. Where they do give their affections they are steadfast and loyal.

Princess of Wood.jpg
Prince of Wood.jpg

Queen of Wood.jpg
King of Wood.jpg

copyright Teresa Edgerton 2019

Wonderful charts behind the chest for the Lensmaker!

Silly question, but you don't mention the court cards being reversed. Does their identity remain the same if upside down?

If upside down one would emphasize the less positive aspects of their character, extrapolating from what is described. (A lot of card reading is intuition and interpretation, figuring out how the meaning alters depending on where the card is, what else is near it, if it is reversed, etc.) Like with the Steel cards, perhaps, a tendency to be judgmental and controlling. With the Wood cards, maybe being too absorbed in their work to the exclusion of relationships. As I said, it depends on what else is there in the reading. Qualities that might be good in most situations could be very much a negative in the particular circumstances, especially if carried to extremes. So the essential nature of the individual would not be changed if the card is reversed, but the way that nature is being expressed at the time of the reading, or in their interactions with the Querent, might create problems or present an obstacle (if the card does not symbolize the Querent him- or herself, which it could, in which case it might, for instance, mean that the individual needs to open up to other ways of thinking and acting because they are too focussed on doing things always the one way and don't realize that the particular circumstances call for something else).

Some readers will turn up one card at a time and talk about that and rarely refer to previous cards once they move on, but I always laid out the whole spread and looked at everything and analyzed connections before I began to speak at all (when I was doing readings regularly I could do this very quickly, recognize patterns and relationships in a matter of seconds because I was practiced at it, though the story would continue to develop throughout the reading) and this is what I would recommend for anyone using this or any other deck, though the process might be slow while they are still learning, still it yields rewards which other methods may not. For example, if it is hard to understand the meaning of one card in a particular reading, which can happen, then the other cards should always point the way if the reader examines the whole pattern.