His Dark Materials (BBC serial)

It is true that at this point it looks like Roger's death is a plot device used because Lyra was supposed to betray someone.

I was not impressed with Lyra's actions at the end there. Rather than try to stop Asriel or even shout at him, all she did was touch Roger's hand. Very useful, I don't think -- and not at all in character.

Does anyone know any different?

Not really, no. Series 2 has already been filmed. However, based on the interviews that Jane Tranter (the exec producer) gave during the series 1 publicity rounds at Comicon and elsewhere, the series needs to spend about 9 months in post-production in order to add the CGI daemons and other effects. (They actually filmed season 1 in 2018.) Therefore the earliest series 2 could be on TV is October/November 2020.

The only other rumours are that in relation to filming the third book they may wait until Dafne Keen turns 16 before they start filming. That would mean they wouldn't start filming a third season until 2021, with an air-date in late 2022 at the earliest. There are some advantages to waiting, not least that Keen would be able to work full-time and she would be the same age as Lyra is in the third book. Tranter has also said in interviews that she would like to split book 3 into two 8-part seasons. Although whether that will happen or not has yet to be decided.

Despite already being filmed, and advertised this New Year by the BBC as "Drama for 2020," I can't find a broadcast date for Series 2.
This: His Dark Materials season 2: Everything you need to know
suggests that it won't be until November 2020. (Despite the claim below the headline, they don't actually know.) Does anyone know any different?

The BBC always seem to treat the release dates of their shows as some sort of state secret up until about a month beforehand. I think the obvious timing would be for season 2 to start at the same time season 1 did last year.

I caught up with the last 3 episodes late after being away for 2 of them. I thought the series started well (if a little confusing) and got better and better, until the penultimate episode, which was the best.

I heard an interview on the radio where whoever it was said the next series was set for November.

I didn't mind that the kill was off-camera. It provided a moment of doubt about the victor.
I liked that aspect of it.

I won't be watching the trailer but am excited about the second series. :)

I don't watch much TV so sometimes have to be 'forced' into watching something by it being on TV. Maybe I should sign up to a streaming service, because I do enjoy a good series and there's so much I haven't watched.

I need to go back and watch this, as I only saw the first two episodes. I enjoyed what I saw.

I watched and enjoyed it...

...and after the programme (so this wasn't on my mind while I was watching), I discovered that the city, Cittàgazze, was not CGI but a plaster, wood and metal affair, built on a parking lot where the trailers used to be parked during the filming of the first series/season.

In the article I read about it, production designer and executive producer Joel Collins said: “What’s interesting is it’s not just one big main street, which backlot sets sometimes are – it was a set to be lost in. I think that’s part of what I wanted to do. We were very lucky we had a central core, which was the tower. But I wanted everyone to be able to go down the street and get lost. If you can get lost in the street, then the camera can get lost – and you can suddenly make the town go from a certain size to massive.”

He then joked, “Sadly the crew started trying to live here, so we actually had to lock all the doors.”