Recommendations based on recent reads

Angreal28

Evening all,

I’ve just started reading a few ‘space’ type sci-fi books lets call them. Tolkien, George r r Martin, Raymond Feist, Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan type stuff has been my usual choices for 20 years and the ‘to read’ pile is still pretty massive. However, I picked up the In Her Name books by Michael Hicks and just couldn’t stop. I also read the Posthuman series by David Simpson and was equally enthralled.

I really just can’t figure out what to read next to get into this genre a bit more. I’ve gone round in circles on amazon and don’t really conclude anything. I’ve always been a Star Trek / stargate fan in terms of the technology and futuristic feel of it but don’t really want to read spinoffs or fan fiction of those universes.

Could anyone recommend some options please?

The Star Rover by Jack London . this book its largely unknown ans unlike all his other novels . It could be called his only fantasy novel. Its story a Strait jacketed Death Row in mate named Darrel Standing who while prating Transcended mediation ( to make life in the jacket bearable ) discovers that the can not only leave his body but can astral project himself into his pst lives at will . The book is epic in scope and scale , a journey across time, space and history . Its a terrific book and can be found via project Gutenberg.

The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin by Seabury Quinn. Jules De Gradin and his associate Dr Trowbridge investigate and do battle with the forces of Supernatural Darkness. Nightshade books is reprint all 93 De Grandin adventures which include a full length novel. . It top out at 5 volumes 4 of which are currently out .
1. The Horror on the Links
2. The Devils Rosary
3. The Dark Angel
4. A Rival From the Grave

The Dark World by Henry Kuttner
Black Gods Kiss By C L Moore
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson
The High Crusade by Poul Anderson
Islandia by Austin Tapping Wright
Mythago Woods by Robert Holdstock
The High House
by James Stoddard
The Tales House by James Stoddard
Conan the Hour of the Dragon by Robert E Howard
Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague De Camp
Jack Faust by Michael Swanswick
The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Night Has a Thousand Eyes by Cornell Woolrich
Magus Rex by Jack Lovejoy
Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen
Darker then You Think by Jack Williamson
Excavation by James Rollins
The Demolished Man By Alfred Bester
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
Jurgen by James Branch Cabell
The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll
Robot Titans of Gotham by Norvel Page
The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
The Ship of Ishtar by Abraham Merritt
Tales From the Dying Earth by Jack Vance
The City of the Singing Flame by Clark Ashton Smith and it sequel story Beyond the Singing Flame
The Dreaming Jewels
by Theodore Sturgeon
Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison
John The Balladeer by Manley Wade Wellman
The Lost Content by C J Cutcliffe Hind
The Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock

The Kane the Mystic Swordsman Saga by Karl Edward Wagner . The main character Kane, is an immortal heroic villain/antihero , Not a nice guy at all. Dark fantasy series comprising 5 books in all
1.Bloodstone
2. Darkness Weaves
3. Dark Crusade
4. Death Angels Shadow
5. Nightwinds

also by him Killer which he co wrote with David Drake

Conan The Road of Kings
Bran Mak Morn The Legion of the Shadow
In a Lonely Place

edited by Wagner Echos of Valor I, II and III

These are not recent read , ive read them over a long span of time. but they are great books. :)

Well that’s one or two for me to have a look at, thank you for such a detailed reply :)

Evening all,

I’ve just started reading a few ‘space’ type sci-fi books lets call them. Tolkien, George r r Martin, Raymond Feist, Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan type stuff has been my usual choices for 20 years and the ‘to read’ pile is still pretty massive. However, I picked up the In Her Name books by Michael Hicks and just couldn’t stop. I also read the Posthuman series by David Simpson and was equally enthralled.

I really just can’t figure out what to read next to get into this genre a bit more. I’ve gone round in circles on amazon and don’t really conclude anything. I’ve always been a Star Trek / stargate fan in terms of the technology and futuristic feel of it but don’t really want to read spinoffs or fan fiction of those universes.

I haven't read the two SF series you mention, so it's difficult to base recommendations on that. I'd suggest Iain M. Banks' Culture series, I felt the Culture was probably inspired a bit by Star Trek's Federation, although Banks has a more cynical viewpoint than Gene Roddenberry did. Consider Phlebas is the first book, although I think the second book, The Player of Games is better.