The Crusades

sknox

Member and remember
The Third Crusade is now live
Third Crusade
This the best-known crusade besides the First. It's got Richard of England, the famous sultan Saladin, assassins and kidnapping and daring rescues. I have yet to read a good novelization of the events, but of course Runciman's recounting is pretty dramatic.

I'm just going to keep on the the crusading stuff for a while. There are the main crusades but I also have essays that trace each Crusader Kingdom individually, plus essays on things like the Albigensian Crusade, and even the fourteenth and fifteenth century crusades. At some point I'll add the Virtual Pilgrimage (whose title feels awfully dated now). So it's going to be some time before I get back to the more general European history stuff.

sknox

Member and remember
Academic is exactly right; you say that like it was a bad thing. :)

I wasn't trying to dramatize. It would make a good subject for novelization, but fiction writers always seem to go for the First or the Third.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
Academic is exactly right; you say that like it was a bad thing. :)

I wasn't trying to dramatize. It would make a good subject for novelization, but fiction writers always seem to go for the First or the Third.
Oh no, I didn't mean it as a bad thing. Just academic. I'm working my way through my brother's 348 page Art PhD thesis. So I do academic as well as fiction, lol :)

EDIT: Your 2nd Crusade essay is well written and clear and avoids obscure words and terms. I learned a lot from it and I look forward to Richard, Saladin etc, in your new essay.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Phyrebrat Writing Discussion 32
M Historical Fiction 2
M Historical Fiction 21