The Crusades

Marvolo

Medium Rare
Are there any historical fiction books set during the first or second crusades? I found some by Lawhead, but those are more "modern secret society with roots in the crusades."

I'd like to find some specifically arranged like Martin's A Game of Thrones, i.e. a large cast of characters and the story is more about what happens to them than the big events of the plot.

Alfred Duggan wrote a couple of books dealing with the crusades, both set in the First Crusade. Count Bohemond, tells the story from the leaders POV and Knight with Armor tells it from the footsoldiers POV. Both are excellent.

You might also try a book called The Book of Days, I cannot remember the author's name.

Hope that's a help.

Are any of these a balanced story that isnt about killing as much muslims as possible?

As a muslim it might annoy me if its too much christian propoganda.

I read a good rusade book by the Swedish Author Jan Guillou so i know i enjoy that part of historical fiction when its a good story.

Brethern by Robyn Young, I read that and thought there were about a million holes in the plot.

There must be more books on this part of history?

You dont have to mention only english language writers. If you know some other good books from nun english countries in europe and Asia let me know.

There are prolly translations of them out there.

I read a review of that in amazon and the guy wrote something i found interesting.

He wrote "The novel is highly unromantic, and is extremely useful in that sense "

That makes it interesting for me. I want more realistic feel and look of it.

Deus Lo Volt! by Evan S. Connell is a damned good read.

Brethern by Robyn Young, I read that and thought there were about a million holes in the plot.

I saw the book in a pocket book shop today. I was there really hungry for a new book but it wasnt Brethren simply cause i havent seen good reviews on it and your "there were about a million holes in the plot "i was hearing in my head when i saw it.

I think i will choose a hailed Crusader book rather chance on one like this one.

There must be more books on this part of history?
You dont have to mention only english language writers. If you know some other good books from nun english countries in europe and Asia let me know.

You might wan't to check out swedish writer Jan Guillou's "Crusdades Trilogy". All 3 books have been bestsellers in Scandinavia and been translated into English (and several other european languages). Highly reccomended...

Book 1: The road to Jerusalem (1998)

Book 2: The Knight Templar (1999)

Book 3: The kingdom at the end of the road (2000)

Edit: Saw that your location is sweden, so I guess you know those books already :D

Just reviving this thread because I'm watching Kingdom of Heaven with the lightweight Orlando Bloom. It is an excellent story though and it reminded me that I read a book once that covered much of these events called The Knights of Dark Renown by Graham Shelby. I thought it was pretty good when I read it many years ago. There was a sequel that wasn't so good.

I've written a book set during the First Crusade. (Unpublished so far). There are two main characters in the book, one travels with the People's Crusade (Walter the Penniless et al), the other travels with the First Crusade proper. The book features a serial killer who travels with the 'pilgrims' to the Holy Land.

"All Things Are Lights" by Robert Shea

Begins in the Abigensian Crusade - destruction of the Cathars. Finishes with the Crusade in Egypt (Sixth IIRC).

Connavar - it's certainly not anti-muslim.

Jack Whyte is 2/3 if the way through a Templar Knight trilogy:

1. Knights of the Black and White
2. Standard of Honour
3. Order in Chaos - coming in August of 2009

Knights of the Black and White I enjoyed quite a bit, the characters and story.
I was really looking forward to Standard of Honor, but having just finished it, I was disappointed. For a start, it doesn't continue where Knights of the Black and White leaves off (it's set about 100 years later) just as you're growing attached to the characters. To make matters worse it has too many large holes in the story and not enough dialogue (was it just me, or did it feel more like a history lesson than a fiction book?). It felt very. . . rushed - I'm hoping Order in Chaos is better.
But go with Knights of the Black and White for sure. It's a great read.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sknox Promotions 28
Phyrebrat Writing Discussion 32
M Historical Fiction 2